Sportsound Watch

f**k me English is a tedious w****r.

Complains that SPFL governance is a shambles because of the court case involving 5 clubs. The SPFL couldn't do any more than they did by having explicit rules that football matters should go to the SFA.

Hearts and Thistle have shat everywhere and now English wants to put the blame for it everywhere else.

Tom is still struggling with company law. And that if 31% of clubs want an inquiry then 69% ( a number over twice as large) don't want one.

Tom English definitely not as loud, forceful or as quite as opinionated as previously, although the same record is still playing the volume has been turned down.

Raith Chairman came over very well and spoke sense. 

As @Szamo's_Ammo has mentioned above, his comments about every club knowing about the 28 days timeframe for votes was well put and required. After all, it is in the Companies Act (Scotland)2006, the same act that governs any of the club's board members' successful businesses AND the clubs themselves! So if any of them didn't know then one has to ask exactly what experience in the corporate world they actually have.

Kenny McIntyre was decent as a host/referee today. A number of times he tried to hold Tom English to account. I wonder if some of this is in relation to the barrage of complaints that have come.into BBC Scotland recently over the program. Definitely noticed a subtle change on recent times. If not and it was on Kenny's own back then deserves slightly more.credit than he already did for today.

I did like Raith Chairman pulling both Hearts and Thistle statements up for the language used. Someone had to. I totally agree with him that "battle", "war", "never forget" & "good clubs"  really does no one any favours at all. If Doncaster's statement is being pulled apart for him saying "vindicated" which is a fact on this subject, then theirs needs questioned too.

Edited by Tannadeechee

16 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

f**k me English is a tedious w****r.

Complains that SPFL governance is a shambles because of the court case involving 5 clubs. The SPFL couldn't do any more than they did by having explicit rules that football matters should go to the SFA.

Hearts and Thistle have shat everywhere and now English wants to put the blame for it everywhere else.

Tom is still struggling with company law. And that if 31% of clubs want an inquiry then 69% ( a number over twice as large) don't want one.

Found myself going FFS Tom over than too. Interesting that he nails his colours to the mast over that vote (even though his view lost with 69% saying no), but he doesn't like mentioning that only 19% of clubs voted to not end the season.

Edited by Tannadeechee

3 minutes ago, Tannadeechee said:

Found myself going FFS Tom over than too. Interesting that he nails his colours to the mast over that vote (even though his view lost with 69% saying no), but he doesn't like mentioning that only 29% of clubs voted to not end the season.

19% surely?

18 minutes ago, Tannadeechee said:

Kenny McIntyre was decent as a host/referee today.

The only thing lacking was to ask Levein if he would take responsibility for his part in Hearts demise, after all Levein was quick to put the boot in elsewhere.

17 minutes ago, Tannadeechee said:

Found myself going FFS Tom over than too. Interesting that he nails his colours to the mast over that vote (even though his view lost with 69% saying no), but he doesn't like mentioning that only 19% of clubs voted to not end the season.

Never really gets mentioned by Tom English but of the 31% that wanted a review, 19% were already in the huff because they didn’t get their own way on the vote to end the season. 

29 minutes ago, Tannadeechee said:

Tom English definitely not as loud, forceful or as quite as opinionated as previously, although the same record is still playing the volume has been turned down.

Raith Chairman came over very well and spoke sense. 

As @Szamo's_Ammo has mentioned above, his comments about every club knowing about the 28 days timeframe for votes was well put and required. After all, it is in the Companies Act (Scotland)2010, the same act that governs any of the club's board members' successful businesses AND the clubs themselves! So if any of them didn't know then one has to ask exactly what experience in the corporate world they actually have.

Kenny McIntyre was decent as a host/referee today. A number of times he tried to hold Tom English to account. I wonder if some of this is in relation to the barrage of complaints that have come.into BBC Scotland recently over the program. Definitely noticed a subtle change on recent times. If not and it was on Kenny's own back then deserves slightly more.credit than he already did for today.

I did like Raith Chairman pulling both Hearts and Thistle statements up for the language used. Someone had to. I totally agree with him that "battle", "war", "never forget" & "good clubs"  really does no one any favours at all. If Doncaster's statement is being pulled apart for him saying "vindicated" which is a fact on this subject, then theirs needs questioned too.

I thought Kenny McIntyre was good.

And the point the Raith chairman made about the 28 day period is a good one. The chairmen know these roles because knowing how to run a company is their business. Journalists (e.g. Tom English) don't know the rules. And I myself didn't know either and I was actually quite critical of the vote initially. But I went and read up on why the law is the way it is and why it is appropriate for a board to influence the outcome of the vote. I guess educating himself on the topic is no match for Tom's deeply held beliefs.

Edited by Jim McLean's Ghost

Tom 'embodiment of polarising debate' English appeared to be far less bombastic during today's podcast. 

Apparently this was all about the 'governance of the game' & 'Scottish football punching below its weight' & he gave equal support to all of the five clubs involved in arbitration. His justification around the governance of the game requiring looked at seemed to be that 31% of clubs voted for an independent inquiry & that Dave Cormack thinks the SPFL is 'not run like a normal business'.

The arbitration panel found no illegality around the Dundee vote & that the SPFL 'behaved like any other company' in terms of how this was handled.  However, Tom English still feels that this is still a grey area & won't be convinced until he sees the transcript.

Levein sounds like he has been mainlining tears from JKB & advertised their proposed boycott on the national broadcaster.

Both require compassionate leave from the airwaves at present.   

12 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The Raith Chairman was good but he was taking the pish when he said he'd rather have come second to Falkirk and avoided all the pressure, or something like that.

Also the fact he said they needed to fight their own corner has a contradiction to it saying they wouldn't have taking it to court.

23 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The Raith Chairman was good but he was taking the pish when he said he'd rather have come second to Falkirk and avoided all the pressure, or something like that.

He didn't mean they'd rather have come second, just that he would have been pleased to  avoid the court case and difficulties with that like e.g. Falkirk did.

Edited by stu_dons