Sportsound Watch

12 hours ago, The-coo-shed said:

Not been on Pie and Bovril for fecking ages, so apologies if I'm spouting the same shite that's been around, but how would a reconstructed league of 14-10-10-10 have any losers? Everyone gets promoted, no-one relegated and you still get 4 Old firm games coveted by Sky. 

Yes. All the other Premiership sides other than Old Firm, Hibs, Aberdeen & Hearts & basically anyone who doesn't make the top 6 regularly. Also in my opinion the paying punter as well. 

Resulted in less money prize money, less tv money, less gate money for the "smaller clubs" and also results in the league splitting stupidly early and then you playing the same teams every post split 5-6 weeks so even more regularly than teams do now. 

19 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Findlay and Cameron did say they favoured reconstruction but this is the wrong time so perhaps there is a majority of clubs in favour of reconstruction.

"Perhaps" though. 

He's using a vote of above 70% and happy to claim its not overwhelming based on his "1 vote" theory but is happy to proclaim the majority want reconstruction and ignoring the basis of a vote of something like 29 of the 42 teams voting against. 

He also claims the voting process if flawed and played a part in causing all these problems. Okay, they change it to 51/49%... neither vote result changes. 

No wonder folk accuse him of agenda. 

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

25 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Findlay and Cameron did say they favoured reconstruction but this is the wrong time so perhaps there is a majority of clubs in favour of reconstruction.

There's a very big difference between a majority of clubs 'supporting' reconstruction in theory, and voting for a formal proposal.

Yes and that's the point Findlay and Cameron were trying to make. They were never going to be able to agree any form of league reconstruction as the club's knew their final placing and therefore their position in any proposal. Self-interest would then scupper pretty much any proposal.
There does appear to be an appetite amongst some for reconstruction but it needs to be proactive rather than reactive and be agreed for a year ahead.

12 hours ago, The-coo-shed said:

Not been on Pie and Bovril for fecking ages, so apologies if I'm spouting the same shite that's been around, but how would a reconstructed league of 14-10-10-10 have any losers? Everyone gets promoted, no-one relegated and you still get 4 Old firm games coveted by Sky. 

On a different note, sportsound is good when it actually removes itself from the Old Firm. The Tommy Wright episode was great, the one on Monday with John Hartson was just awful

Team's lose money, some playoff placed sides promoted some not. 

7 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Yes and that's the point Findlay and Cameron were trying to make. They were never going to be able to agree any form of league reconstruction as the club's knew their final placing and therefore their position in any proposal. Self-interest would then scupper pretty much any proposal.
There does appear to be an appetite amongst some for reconstruction but it needs to be proactive rather than reactive and be agreed for a year ahead.

I liked the takeaway from Lachlan about a potential 18 team championship, that'll eventually make the top league shake up to playing X2. 

2 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Thoughts on yesterday:

- Either English has been told to take his foot off the pedal or he's trying to shift the goalposts by claiming his main concern is Partick and not Hearts, who now apparently deserve their fate. He's fooling no one claiming he's never been championing Hearts cause here.

- He embarrassed himself when he announced himself as a 'champion of fairness' and that if Hearts & Partick Thistle win he'll be even more angry on behalf of the promoted clubs. What a ridiculous position to take. He had two chairmen on who told him quite frankly that reconstruction was never going to happen through a vote, and the SPFL couldn't force it through. So even in light of that, Tom is going to stamp his feet at whatever the outcome is of ending the leagues then? All he proved is that we should all be grateful he doesn't run Scottish football.

- As amusing as it is to hear Donald Findlay actively bored by Tom's whining, I don't find him likeable in the slightest.

Yes, those were pretty much my thoughts.  The switch from Hearts to Thistle is particularly sneaky in my opinion, possibly now realising the way the wind is blowing & now championing the underdog in an attempt to make his stance more palatable.  It's also the definition of doublethink to attempt to be equally outraged on the part of Hearts/Thistle, as well as United/RR/Cove, which is logically incompatible.  It's also strange times when Donald Findlay is on the side of the angels.

5 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

As amusing as it is to hear Donald Findlay actively bored by Tom's whining, I don't find him likeable in the slightest.

There's a lot to admire in that sentence.

1 hour ago, wastecoatwilly said:

If there is no common ground then no mans land is a graveyard of self-interest.

Except for Christmas 1914, where all sides came together to sing silent night, exchanged presents & participated in an impromptu game of football. 

1 hour ago, Golden Gordon said:

Except for Christmas 1914, where all sides came together to sing silent night, exchanged presents & participated in an impromptu game of football. 

It's kind of depressing to think that 100 years ago two sets people who were literally at war could put that aside briefly to play football, whereas today thugs, oafs and unemployables go to the football for the single purpose of expressing their hate for people identical to them in every way.

36 minutes ago, nsr said:

It's kind of depressing to think that 100 years ago two sets people who were literally at war could put that aside briefly to play football, whereas today thugs, oafs and unemployables go to the football for the single purpose of expressing their hate for people identical to them in every way.

If I was a Marxist I would argue that tribal loyalty to football clubs was part of a divide & conquer strategy, perpetrated by the ruling class, to keep the populace from uniting in their common interest.  But that would be far too pretentious, so I won't.

2 hours ago, Golden Gordon said:

Can you imagine the tackles? Also did anyone declare 'next goal wins'? The war could have been finished then and there.

1 hour ago, Zoomer Brown said:

Hearts won that. The war I mean, they were shite at football.

The Germans complained about the result, saying "es ist nicht fair!".

14 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Can you imagine the tackles? Also did anyone declare 'next goal wins'? The war could have been finished then and there.

The Germans complained about the result, saying "es ist nicht fair!".

Es war der fault von der b*****d im schwarz.  Er war ein homer.

9 hours ago, itzdrk said:

I liked the takeaway from Lachlan about a potential 18 team championship, that'll eventually make the top league shake up to playing X2. 

Lachlan has came out of this well in my opinion, Good to see he is investing in infrastructure at ayr too...

However, you are both wasting energy if you think that the top league will ever be a playing 2x a year league. Unfortunately TV rules and 4x celtic/sevco games is required...