Sportsound Watch

1 hour ago, Have some faith in Magic said:

Falkirk guy: Whinge, whinge, whinge, whinge. 

Will you put yourself forward for lower league representation on the board?

No. 

Funny as f**k.

Richard Gordon asks Deans how he would have voted on reconstruction had Falkirk finished top, and he says he’d hope that he would have voted for the greater good of the game, rather int he interests solely of Falkirk. That is a great way of avoiding saying that he would absolutely have voted in the best interests of Falkirk, and f**k the losers who would not benefit from said vote.

I hope that one day that I might get to cuddle up on the sofa with Julia Stiles, but it doesn’t mean it’s ever got any chance of happening.

ETA - Don’t tell Mrs MacArab

Edited by MacArab

Tam Cowan still sucking at the Budge teat this evening......................suggesting it is terrible that they go down and dont get to play for months, then (in all seriousness) that reconstruction could still be voted on.

Cosgrove tells him that horse has bolted.

Cowan is a bawbag

1 hour ago, Green Day said:

Not many on Sportsound are bright enough to understand this one - that directors of plcs have a legal duty here, and they cant just decide to vote for a financial loss "because Neil McCann thinks its unfair".

I allow a bit of latitude here for Willie Miller who has mentioned directors duties on more than one occasion.

eta, just had to switch off as McCann was interviewing Steve Clarke

49 minutes ago, Green Day said:

I didnt hear much of the show earlier, but presumably they covered this statement by Tears FC and Snotters Thistle FC?

Am I right in assuming that Tom English - Mr Transparency when it comes to the SPFL - hasnt demanded that these 2 clubs release more detail than this pishy one line statement?

Did any of the other presenters question the motives of these two clubs?

32 minutes ago, Green Day said:

Remember Gary Deans awful interview the other day? https://www.falkirkfc.co.uk/2020/06/...ans-interview/

He is only on the show today because they are scraping the barrel of people who will come on and support the anti SPFL mantra. What next, a Scott Gardiner / Stewart Robertson *** tag team?

We all know that most of our clubs CEOs have refused requests to go on - primarily because they dont want to stoke up further ill feeling and/or because they didnt support Hearts and reconstruction.

It is telling that those who have gone against Tom English "sense of fair play" - like Roy McGregor - have been subsequently rubbished in his BBC columns.

Its pathetic

14 minutes ago, Green Day said:

Tam Cowan still sucking at the Budge teat this evening......................suggesting it is terrible that they go down and dont get to play for months, then (in all seriousness) that reconstruction could still be voted on.

Cosgrove tells him that horse has bolted.

Cowan is a bawbag

Tears and snotters indeed!

Dry your eyes, mate.

Has anyone on Sportsound ever tried to explain why 14-10-10-10 was rejected. I'm not  in the know but surely someone could make the following  points

1 The crumbs that fall after  the big two have taken the bulk of the money will now be divided twelve ways instead  of ten. 

2 Middle  and lower ranking clubs could find themselves in what  in effect would be an spl b from mid January onwards. Missing out on a third game against bigger clubs would be another financial  hit. 

3 The chances of relegation would be greater.  Ignoring the playoffs, 2 from 14 is a bigger percentage than 1 from 10 and two from the bottom eight is higher than 1 from a bottom six. 

A discussion programme should be balanced and explain both sides of the argument.

I have not heard  anyone say that Hearts action is damaging every club in Scotland and their  claim for 8-10 million is ridiculous.

Really enjoyed listening to Craig Gordon's tales. The bit about what Rodgers told him regarding playing it out and still giving it to players if they aren't in the correct position was great. I've long been an advocate for it but it could really only work with the "they'll get replaced" at the Old Firm up here. 

17 hours ago, ilostmyself said:

I think the pushback is against the Sky Sports marketing of "the best league in the world EVER, up next Norwich v Bournemouth" where the hype cant get anywhere near the actual product.
Too many people up here will watch a game like that but wont bother with Aberdeem v Hibs, nevermind games lower down the table. Tbh, its usually people who dont actually go to live games.
I tend to take an interest in the big EPL teams playing each other when the game is meaningful for final places or whatever but cant find any interest in pretty much any other games.

Exactly this. "Crystal Palace v Burnley, aaand it's live" ! Where's the telly buttons?

32 minutes ago, Nold said:

Exactly this. "Crystal Palace v Burnley, aaand it's live" ! Where's the telly buttons?

What do you expect

"Crystal Palace v Burnley, aaand it's live...but Real Madrid are on BT, better still, nip down the park, there might be a game on there"?

17 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

What do you expect

"Crystal Palace v Burnley, aaand it's live...but Real Madrid are on BT, better still, nip down the park, there might be a game on there"?

A fair point. 

I suppose my point is more based on jealousy that Sky are able to invoke such excitement in what will, most likely, be a middle of the road game in England than any game in Scotland. 

47 minutes ago, Nold said:

A fair point. 

I suppose my point is more based on jealousy that Sky are able to invoke such excitement in what will, most likely, be a middle of the road game in England than any game in Scotland. 

It's all just white noise. I switch on at kick off time and usually off fairly shortly afterwards.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

On 27/06/2020 at 06:59, IrishBhoy said:

Surprised it was only 10, they can spend half an hour on a Saturday ignoring every goal from the Championship, Leagues One and Two, to talk about a VAR decision from Burnley Vs Sheffield United as if that’s the reason people tune in to Open All Mics. 

Without even trying, I will probably see every goal from the EPL through Twitter, SSN etc, but Richard Gordon and the other whopper who presents Open All Mics love to give goal alerts from the EPL. I think it’s a sort of inferiority complex that they have. They get to be like Soocer Saturday or TalkSport by reporting on English football, it makes them feel more important. Reading out the Elgin City v Cowdenbeath score doesn’t do it for them, but they get a hard on if they get to tell you Aguero has just scored for Man City. 

With all due respect , I think you’re talking absolute pish there.

I think they generally get the coverage of English football just about right by simply giving goal updates from the EPL. Not quite sure why you think they get a hard on. Can’t say I’ve noticed Richard Gordon sounding more excited about that than , for instance , telling the listeners about something from the lower Scottish Leagues. If anything , he’s more likely to add some information or comment about the Scottish leagues (eg “that’s Shane Sutherland’s twenty-sixth goal of the season for Elgin City”).

Personally , I’m interested enough in English football to want to know what the scores from their top league are and I’d imagine plenty other listeners feel the same.

2 hours ago, A96 said:

With all due respect , I think you’re talking absolute pish there.

I think they generally get the coverage of English football just about right by simply giving goal updates from the EPL. Not quite sure why you think they get a hard on. Can’t say I’ve noticed Richard Gordon sounding more excited about that than , for instance , telling the listeners about something from the lower Scottish Leagues. If anything , he’s more likely to add some information or comment about the Scottish leagues (eg “that’s Shane Sutherland’s twenty-sixth goal of the season for Elgin City”).

Personally , I’m interested enough in English football to want to know what the scores from their top league are and I’d imagine plenty other listeners feel the same.

Fair enough, but to an extent the guys on Sportsound just perpetuate that these overfunded clubs in England are - in some way more relevant than ours.

5 Live doesnt even cover Scottish football scores unless it is a "lets hear whats happening at Ibrox/Parkhead" pish.

That Sportsound add info or comment about the Scottish leagues shouldnt be seen as a positive, it is simply the starting point for Scotlands broadcaster - a bit like BBC Yorkshire commentating on a Leeds forwards goals?

I occasionally watch English football, but it holds as much interest to me as the French league or the Spanish one.

I actually get more pissed off when I see the young laddies in the garden behind me in Liverpool tops than their Hearts ones (unsurprisingly they have made few appearances recently). Boys in Edinburgh should be supporting their local teams, and i would say the same for Aberdeen, Dundee, and even the smaller places - If I lived in linlithgow and wasnt a Hibby I would prob follow Lithgae Rose.

And dont get me started on the corporate wankfest that is the "Champions League"............................

Edited by Green Day

4 minutes ago, Green Day said:

Fair enough, but to an extent the guys on Sportsound just perpetuate that these overfunded clubs in England are - in some way more relevant than ours.

5 Live doesnt even cover Scottish football scores unless it is a "lets hear whats happening at Ibrox/Parkhead" pish.

That Sportsound add info or comment about the Scottish leagues shouldnt be seen as a positive, it is simply the starting point for Scotlands broadcaster - a bit like BBC Yorkshire commentating on a Leeds forwards goals?

I occasionally watch English football, but it holds as much interest to me as the French league or the Spanish one.

I actually get more pissed off when I see the young laddies in the garden behind me in Liverpool tops than their Hearts ones (unsurprisingly they have made few appearances recently). Boys in Edinburgh should be supporting their local teams, and i would say the same for Aberdeen, Dundee, and even the smaller places - If I lived in linlithgow and wasnt a Hibby I would prob follow Lithgae Rose.

And dont get me started on the corporate wankfest that is the "Champions League"............................

I think it’s just the Sportsound team recognising that a sizeable proportion of their listeners will be like myself.  Sufficiently interested in the scores from the EPL for goal updates , without any significant impact on their coverage of the Scottish games.  I’m pretty sure that most football fans in Scotland are far more interested in English football than any other foreign leagues.

5 Live are just catering for their predominantly English audience as well. They’ll recognise that some of their listeners will have some interest  in Scottish football , and that such listeners will most likely be “fans” of one of the Ugly Sisters.

I now separate credibility into their views on the colt teams in lower divisions discussion.

The minute any of them bang on how great it would be for the youngsters of Celtic and Rangers (2012), without any mention of why it should just be two clubs, then they’ve gone - see McCann, Neil.

At least Steve Clarke managed to avoid going down this route in his interview this week.

45 minutes ago, Junior Pub League said:

Sadly for you, they actually do give Scottish scores regularly during the match commentary on a Saturday.

Sadly for me?

what.png.28b771af19b3e02800bc08104bf7fd95.png

Hardly - and as for your point above, in that case they must have been trolling me badly on the regular occasions I have been down south and heard next to nothing about Scottish football.