Sportsound Watch

As we saw when Rangers died and the likes of Billy Dodds attempted to dissect insolvency and tax laws, the usual suspects on Sportsound are embarrassingly out of their depth when confronted with a complex topic and someone who actually knows what they are talking about. I'm a long way from being Donald Findlay's biggest fan, but he knows his stuff.

Well that was a bit of a damp squib. 40 odd minutes I'll not get back. Findlay while being fairly straight forward was hardly convincing in his arguments. Levein sounded like a jilted ex and English kept of wrapping himself in his own rhetorical flag and sounding like the drunk guy at the bar who's adamant Scotland is too poor too wee and too stupid to run it's own football.

18 minutes ago, Ric said:

Well that was a bit of a damp squib. 40 odd minutes I'll not get back. Findlay while being fairly straight forward was hardly convincing in his arguments. Levein sounded like a jilted ex and English kept of wrapping himself in his own rhetorical flag and sounding like the drunk guy at the bar who's adamant Scotland is too poor too wee and too stupid to run it's own football.

As long as Tom English is continually put in his place then the BBC might actually realise that he is indeed just a bar room bore with a massive chip on his shoulder. 

3 minutes ago, gogsy said:

Cowdenbeath one win in seven, more likely Queens Park and Stirling Albion would have overtaken them and Cowdenbeath would have been sixth.

I understand your point but no-one considered current form when declaring Celtic winning the league and hearts getting relegated as unfair.

That's the worst I've listened to but Donald Findlay asking Tom English "am I not speaking English today" provided a rare laugh amongst a cesspool of bad takes and constant attacks from English. 

On 14/06/2020 at 16:24, cmontheloknow said:

Unless they're applying from England etc (ie Alex Dyer) there's not a lot Scotland can meaningfully add to this debate until we get more black / Asian scots playing at a high level that can go into coaching upon retirement. A good point Barnes and others has made was that by leeting a black candidate, they are given interview experience and don't just give up. Maybe that is something we can do too - if a black candidate applies, they are interviewed.

Of the black Scots managing just now... Chris Mackie's had a few Junior jobs and is going to be at Whitburn when we resume. Kevin Harper has just left Albion Rovers. How many other black  Scottish managers are there? The list of Black ex pros is short.

30% of pros in England are BAME. 9% of our population is but of those playing football? It must be a 0.0?% figure for those that are BAME. That should be the priority just now, getting that figure up.

The thing is the composition of the BAME population though. The "black" part of that makes up the vast majority of BAME players and coaches in both England and Scotland, but the black cohort is much smaller in Scotland than England. Unless you get Asians playing / coaching football in far greater numbers, you're not going to get more than a tiny minority of BAME folk involved in football in Scotland. Other than the English "imports", as you say.

8 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Not had a listen yet but Rangers and Hearts fans seem to think Findlay had his arse handed to him.

Everybody else on the other hand...

From my perspective, I'd say it was a little one sided as you clearly had two people arguing against one, but that aside Findlay's points could have easily been rebuffed if Levein or English were agile enough to do so. Levein just kept on saying "it's unfair, it's unfair, it's unfair" then chimed in that nobody should expect players to be loaned out from Heart of Seethelothian to any club that voted against the reconstruction, while English was desperate to point out that Thistle were the most harshly treated and on that basis Heart of Seethelothian should benefit while trying to claim that Rangers' attempt to cut off the head of the SPFL was intended as a root and branch review of the game.

Nobody came out of the whole thing looking even vaguely "victorious".

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:
6 minutes ago, TheScarf said:
Tom English is a world class idiot.  Proper Roger Federer/Tiger Woods levels idiot.

What an odd comparison

I'd say it was a world class comparison.  Roger Federer/Tiger woods levels.

30 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Is anyone really surprised, eminent QC, Donald Findlay is running rings round these mugs? His personal views might be on the iffy side, but he's not daft.

I just came on to say exactly this.

1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Is anyone really surprised, eminent QC, Donald Findlay is running rings round these mugs? His personal views might be on the iffy side, but he's not daft.

Hitting 70 though, and getting constantly interrupted by Mad Tom.. 

P.S.Could be getting mixed up with King Lear though, has Donald got any daughters?

Edited by welshbairn

On 14/06/2020 at 11:05, Monkey Tennis said:

It not just that though.  If there are disproportionately few BAME applicants, that also points towards there being an issue.

What percentage of BAME teachers do you have at your school?