Sportsound Watch

35 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

You just called me obtuse yet agreed with a bloke who said, "There was a number requiring to be reached, and (iirc) when Hibs said "Yes" at 4.15/4.30sh, it was game set and jerseys"

Pathetic but unsurprising.

I refer you to my earlier post...

Just listened to today's podcast. f**k me Tom English loves the sound of his own voice.

He has lost the plot. Yes there may be things folk are not happy with, but he has failed as a journalist, whose job is to "report" news, or if you get fed information, take that and investigate it. You don't just take what your told as gospel,any journalist worth their salt knows there is 3 side to a story the one you've been told, the other side's story & the truth. 

Unfortunately Tom has taken what he's been fed as the only truth, ignored evidence from other sources and now shouting down and ignoring what doesn't fit his agenda. If he had done his job properly, we would be discussing a story of the procedural errors etc of the SPFL workings over this. It would have been done and dusted. Unfortunately with all the shite and half assed bollocks he's coming away with its lost. Totally buried under the flame fanning he's doing.

Edited by Tannadeechee

Unless Tom English has some smoking gun evidence that he's been sworn to secrecy on (I doubt it) then he has surprised me a little on how far down the rabbithole he's gone with his views. He is speaking as someone who thinks he's holding cast iron evidence of wrongdoing. 

I generally like him as a pundit/journalist because his views are usually formed on solid information, even if I disagree with him. But on this occasion his sources of info are so narrow that he is coming across like a man with agenda, which I never had him down as.

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

Unless Tom English has some smoking gun evidence that he's been sworn to secrecy on (I doubt it) then he has surprised me a little on how far down the rabbithole he's gone with his views. He is speaking as someone who thinks he's holding cast iron evidence of wrongdoing. 

I generally like him as a pundit/journalist because his views are usually formed on solid information, even if I disagree with him. But on this occasion his sources of info are so narrow that he is coming across like a man with agenda, which I never had him down as.

I'm starting to think it's the sort of approach you see a lot on here for attention

1. Take minority opinion

2. Claim everyone who disagrees with you is the one with an agenda/closed minded/generally in the wrong

3. Profit? 

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

As others have said there's a certain amount of mileage in being a contrarian in his line of work these days but I'm not wholly convinced that's the case with English, maybe a bit but it doesn't explain it all. His SPFL truther angle has been quite the plot twist.

He seems to have gone all in on Ann Budge as his source but has been mugged off at every point by the rules and simple distinctions in language "Pah! Are you saying Ann Budge doesn't know the difference between loans and advances?". Apparently not Tom, apparently not.

Where he's seen this as some sort of Watergate moment the reality is that there's no grand conspiracy it's simply a consequence of the fact that the SPFL is actually a pretty small scale administrative organisation - it apparently employs about 20 staff - and he seems raging about that.

27 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

Maybe Tom English is the BBC's secret weapon to get Sevco to start liking them again. Am at a loss for any other reason he is supporting their antics and not seeing them for what they are.

Sevco 'liking' the BBC after calling the cheats out for their charlatanic ways? Never gonna happen.

Once a crying screaming wean starts throwing their toys out the pram, it sort of becomes a continual habit...

1 minute ago, bairney said:

Sevco 'liking' the BBC after calling the cheats out for their charlatanic ways? Never gonna happen.

Once a crying screaming wean starts throwing their toys out the pram, it sort of becomes a continual habit...

Most screaming weans grow up eventually.  I thought that, at 8 years old, The Rangers might have grown out of that stage.

15 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Where he's seen this as some sort of Watergate moment the reality is that there's no grand conspiracy

I get the impression he thought he had a Rangers EBT style scoop of the century when he found out from Budge about the advances, and saw it all falling apart when Doncaster explained it on Sportsound the other week. Sports/Investigative journalist of the year all going down the toilet. But he can't move on, there's got to be something in it surely. Please!?!

1 minute ago, The DA said:

Most screaming weans grow up eventually.  I thought that, at 8 years old, The Rangers might have grown out of that stage.

This is an 8 year old wean with developmental social problems.

25 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

As others have said there's a certain amount of mileage in being a contrarian in his line of work these days but I'm not wholly convinced that's the case with English, maybe a bit but it doesn't explain it all. His SPFL truther angle has been quite the plot twist.

He seems to have gone all in on Ann Budge as his source but has been mugged off at every point by the rules and simple distinctions in language "Pah! Are you saying Ann Budge doesn't know the difference between loans and advances?". Apparently not Tom, apparently not.

Where he's seen this as some sort of Watergate moment the reality is that there's no grand conspiracy it's simply a consequence of the fact that the SPFL is actually a pretty small scale administrative organisation - it apparently employs about 20 staff - and he seems raging about that.

Indeed, a bit like every time referees in Scotland are accused of being biased, it turns out they're just tinpot.

I still quite like English but he is certainly egotistical and bizarrely won't climb down on this one. 

2 minutes ago, Have some faith in Magic said:

I don't think the pundits are permitted to use Ann Budge's name without prefixing it with 'successful businesses woman'. 

They should start referring to her as 'pretty good multitasker Ann Budge' from now on.

20 minutes ago, Have some faith in Magic said:

I don't think the pundits are permitted to use Ann Budge's name without prefixing it with 'successful businesses woman'. 

To be fair, Budge has been quite successful in business.

What she's not so great at is running a football club. 

10 minutes ago, paranoid android said:

To be fair, Budge has been quite successful in business.

What she's not so great at is running a football club. 

It's not her fault. 

Blame it on the Snakes of Paisley,  proudly the Nemesis of Heart of Midlothian since 1986.

On 10/05/2020 at 20:56, Green Day said:

OK, I will try one last time.

Regardless of all and any other votes cast as "No" /not cast/eaten by dogs/whatever.........

The only thing that counts in the SPFL rules is that a certain number of votes FOR A RESOLUTION are reached.

In that, frankly unprofessional, way it resembles your local bowling club. It is an unarguable fact that this is a daft methodology..............but it is the methodology in place, and all clubs are signed up to.

It was impossible for that to be changed for that resolution, so the methodology remained as it always had.

There was a number requiring to be reached, and (iirc) when Hibs said "Yes" at 4.15/4.30sh, it was game set and jerseys. Any votes cast for Yes, No, My dug ate my Hamster were totally irrelevant after that point as the resolution was passed.

All of this is VERY VERY SIMPLE.

For the love of god, tell me you understand it?????

What time was Dave Cormack told the Dons' vote didn't matter?

On 11/05/2020 at 10:11, JTS98 said:

That basically seems to be RG's position.

He seems to think that pointing out that someone will benefit from something renders their view on an issue irrelevant. That's not a logically defensible position.

I asked him yesterday how much time has to pass before we can revisit a precedent and he hasn't answered yet. He thinks 1946 is relevant to today's situation.

My point is very simple. The ethics of what has happened here are clearly questionable. There should be an investigation into that.

Pointing out that 'no rules have been broken' is pretty weak when discussing ethical behaviour. It's like saying that companies pretending to be based in the Caymen Isles 'haven't broken any laws'. It doesn't change the fact that it's morally wrong, and we have a right to expect or hope for a certain level of integrity in the running of the game.

That's usually the fall back of politicians getting their expenses queried.