Sportsound Watch

19 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

The *** hordes are perfect example of the phrase "there are none so blind as those who will not see"

Of all my *** mates, the one who actually goes to games is utterly embarrassed by the last few weeks. He is the exception. 

<does not compute>

6 hours ago, Mr Heliums said:

Didn't Traynor have a call-in show on Radio Scotland, where he shouted over those who called in, and cut them off if he didn't like them?

I remember listening to that, Your Call it was called if I remember correctly.

Traynor always seemed a thoroughly unlikeable type.

2 hours ago, ewan14 said:

iirc he was o.k. most of the time !?!

He genuinely was quite good in the past.  

I vividly remember him on Radio Scotland one morning in about 2000, referring to "the Old Firm and the morons who support these clubs".  He did start to get more tabloidy on his phone-in show though, taking it in a downmarket, deliberately provocative direction.

I also think he made a pretty conscious decision to sell his soul when throwing in his lot with Rangers.   I imagine he does his stuff pretty dispassionately and would would behave similarly whether representing Rangers, Celtic, Amazon or Ryan Air.

He's amoral.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

7 hours ago, JTS98 said:

This is where I am.

We have a football media that is astonishing in its sycophancy towards the two big clubs in Scotland. The Brendan Rodgers era at Celtic was vomit-inducing and the BBC's utter desperation to get back into Rangers' good books is excruciating.

In a media landscape where Alex Rae and Charlie Adam's views are promoted as worth listening to, it's nice having someone like Stewart around who is occasionally prepared to put his hand up and call a spade a spade.

He's not always right and he's not always as articulate as he thinks, but he is pretty much alone in being prepared to ask 'why?' when people at home are shouting it at their radios. Or to point out that Jim Traynor has disproportionate influence and maybe media organisations shouldn't dance to his tune.

Reminds me of the time when Ally McCoist was Rangers manager and did the 'Who are these people?' thing about Rangers being fined by the authorities. Ewan Murray was on OTB around that time and said "Wouldn't it be interesting if it emerged that Rangers had actually asked to be fined?". Of course, soon it emerged that this was the case. If Ewan Murray knew this, then you can bet your baws the rest of the Scottish football media did, but nobody else put their hand up to stop Rangers spinning the story to their public.

Murray, like Stewart, is not everyone's cup of tea. But we are vanishingly thin on the ground for people who will actually step out of the party line. Murray gets slagged for being a golf correspondent. But perhaps his other professional focus means he's not as scared of being blackballed by Rangers. Likewise, Stewart has never really sought to win friends. We need more like that.

Good post but Ewan Murray is a dick.

2 hours ago, bennett said:

The littlest bigot.

I'm lost. What was bigoted about it? It's an insult directed at the rangers fans nothing else. I would never directly call a Protestant a *** so not sure what is bigoted. There's probably (a minority) catholic, Muslim, Sikh and Jewish the rangers fans and they would come under the *** banner because they are fans of said club, no other reason

I'm lost. What was bigoted about it? It's an insult directed at the rangers fans nothing else. I would never directly call a Protestant a *** so not sure what is bigoted. There's probably (a minority) catholic, Muslim, Sikh and Jewish the rangers fans and they would come under the *** banner because they are fans of said club, no other reason
No point trying to reason with the c**t.

4 hours ago, greyman said:

Image result for everyone anyone campaign

Jim Traynor was a decent sportswriter for The Glasgow Herald in the late 1970s & 80s, when he saw himself as more Hugh McIlvanney than Hugh Taylor. As soon as he sniffed the Minty pound, though, he was gone. ( Note to ed.: don't insert Keyser Soze gif here.)
In all of this, however, the most important thing to remember is that he is an Airdrie fan. Enough said.

I seem to remember somebody emailing or calling in to Your Call reminding Traynor of how he and his ex-girlfriend used to love going to see Celtic together in their younger days.

And he was utterly embarrassed and attempted to change the subject and treat it as a joke but it did seem to hit an nerve.

This I think was in his beginning to suck up to Craig Whyte era.