Sportsound Watch

2 hours ago, accies1874 said:

It really is astounding how often you don't have a clue what's going on in Open All Mics.

Turned it on for the first time in ages only to have Richard Gordon asking Chick Young a handful of times who had scored as Chick rambled on about how much of a bizarre goal he had just witnessed. For the record Dunfermline  had scored. 

On 26/01/2020 at 21:18, JTS98 said:

It's funny to listen to it sometimes and think back to when I was a kid.

Like many of us, I imagine, I really wanted to either be a footballer or have a Sportsound-type job.

After getting binned by Dundee United in my teens for being shite, I actually started doing some football writing and working towards maybe going in that direction. I did voluntary stuff for the local paper, a bit of work experience at two radio stations. I was thinking about it.

The funny thing is that, like playing football, I was surrounded by other people who also really wanted to do it but seemed much more sure of themselves and had a lot more confidence in their work. I often disagreed with the angles they took on things, but just thought they must be right.

I backed off from it and moved on.

Now, you see the calibre of person who makes it to these jobs and you realise that all that's required is a bit of a brass neck and you'll go a long way. The Scottish media is tiny and the pool of people to do these jobs does not contain a lot of talent.

So, we get Sportsound. I mean, if David Currie, Chic Young and Kenny McIntyre can be employed by the BBC to work on football shows, then they'd be as well rounding folk up off the street.

I'd like to see the Sportsound commenary crew rounded up TBF.....

I was clearly getting ahead of myself thinking that the £1M sale of a young Scottish talent might have been one of the featured discussions, wasn’t mentioned.  Rangers got a loan in tho 

Edited by ropy

Turned it on for the first time in ages only to have Richard Gordon asking Chick Young a handful of times who had scored as Chick rambled on about how much of a bizarre goal he had just witnessed. For the record Dunfermline  had scored. 
To be fair, it was an utterly bizarre goal. There was a corner, the centre back made a near post run and he headed it into the goals. I had to ask the guy next to me to explain what had happened it was just so baffling. If the goal doesn't go viral once the highlights are up then I don't know what will.

9 hours ago, accies1874 said:

It really is astounding how often you don't have a clue what's going on in Open All Mics.

I read this thread occasionally but never listen to the programme. Today I happened to be in the car around 3.30ish so stuck BBC Scotland on. 

The first report of a goal came from Chick Young who was at the Queens - Dunfermline game, where he just started exclaiming ‘what a strange goal, what an extraordinary goal, this is a very strange goal, I can’t believe the strangeness of the goal I’ve just seen’ for about 30 seconds, before someone else stepped in to ask ‘Which team?’. 

It would have been infuriating for a Queens or Dunfermline fan listening in, waiting on Chick Young to pipe up and he starts that nonsense.

Neil Forsyth (writer of the excellent Guilt and Bob Servant) and United fan put on twitter yesterday a joke saying that United has signed Lawrence Shankland's brother Armitage.

Quite funny, the sort of thing Sky would normally fall for.

Last night, Chick Young seriously asked Robbie Neilson on a live radio interview on Sportsound whether or not this move was happening. Honestly, why hasn't he retired yet?

51 minutes ago, sjc said:

I probably shouldn't say this as I'm currently in the process of training my 6month old dog but I'd actively encourage him to attack Chick Young.

He’s in the same bracket as Hugh Keevins to me (and numerous others not worth mentioning), absolute Old Firm sycophants who love nothing more than discussing the absolute irrelevances of every single OF related subject to the nth degree...but spend most of their time trying to act in the complete opposite manner. 

There’s a recent interview on YouTube with Young, where he jokes about all the pundits picking a provincial team to support in the Glasgow area, as falling on one side of the OF divide would have been career suicide. 

6 hours ago, ArabAuslander said:

Neil Forsyth (writer of the excellent Guilt and Bob Servant) and United fan put on twitter yesterday a joke saying that United has signed Lawrence Shankland's brother Armitage.

Last night, Chick Young seriously asked Robbie Neilson on a live radio interview on Sportsound whether or not this move was happening. Honestly, why hasn't he retired yet?

He did retire, in 2016, after getting his free jolly round France when Scotland had failed to qualify for the Euros.

Unfortunately forSportsound listeners, Chick then pulled a George Costanza and showed up for work at the start of the following season as though nothing had happened.

7 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

I read this thread occasionally but never listen to the programme. Today I happened to be in the car around 3.30ish so stuck BBC Scotland on. 

The first report of a goal came from Chick Young who was at the Queens - Dunfermline game, where he just started exclaiming ‘what a strange goal, what an extraordinary goal, this is a very strange goal, I can’t believe the strangeness of the goal I’ve just seen’ for about 30 seconds, before someone else stepped in to ask ‘Which team?’. 

It would have been infuriating for a Queens or Dunfermline fan listening in, waiting on Chick Young to pipe up and he starts that nonsense.

Throw in the fact that, as noted, none of Dunfermline's goals were at all bizarre, and you end up with an even more bizarre performance from him.

Excited for Wednesdays night game away to Aberdeen.

2 hours of Willie Miller commenting on how shite St Johnstone are, not even mentioning it if/when we score, then getting all frothy when Aberdeen complete a couple of passes.

On 02/02/2020 at 01:54, ArabAuslander said:

Maybe he thought he was taking the piss? 😄

On 02/02/2020 at 03:03, IrishBhoy said:

He’s in the same bracket as Hugh Keevins to me (and numerous others not worth mentioning), absolute Old Firm sycophants who love nothing more than discussing the absolute irrelevances of every single OF related subject to the nth degree...but spend most of their time trying to act in the complete opposite manner. 

There’s a recent interview on YouTube with Young, where he jokes about all the pundits picking a provincial team to support in the Glasgow area, as falling on one side of the OF divide would have been career suicide. 

He has talked on Sportsound / Off The ball (can't recall which one) about being a boyhood Rangers fan. The Buddies thing is an affectation but I don't think he fakes having a soft spot for them. There was a story behind why he became a 'fan' of them, can't recall it in any detail though!

47 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

He has talked on Sportsound / Off The ball (can't recall which one) about being a boyhood Rangers fan. The Buddies thing is an affectation but I don't think he fakes having a soft spot for them. There was a story behind why he became a 'fan' of them, can't recall it in any detail though!

I'm sure he has said he was a boyhood Jambo.

His dad was a big Saints Mirren fan.