Sportsound Watch

Subs weren't allowed at all until the 1970s, then it was one per team, then two, and so on. If a goalkeeper (or any player) got injured in the past then it was just a case of chucking someone else on in their place and rejigging things.

The notion of have lots of subs for every position is a modern thing.

Keith Peacock, the first substitute in England, came on to replace an injured goalkeeper in August 1965.

As already mentioned Archie Gemmill was the first sub in Scotland, in August 1966, replacing Jim Clunie.

Subs were only allowed to be used to replace injured players in the early days, rather than for tactical reasons.

1 hour ago, The Nightfly said:

Keith Peacock, the first substitute in England, came on to replace an injured goalkeeper in August 1965.

As already mentioned Archie Gemmill was the first sub in Scotland, in August 1966, replacing Jim Clunie.

Subs were only allowed to be used to replace injured players in the early days, rather than for tactical reasons.

Keith's son was Gavin Peacock, who played for Chelsea and Newcastle.  He was perhaps best known for being a Christian.

1 hour ago, The Nightfly said:

Raith v Queen of the South sectional League Cup tie at Stark's Park on Saturday 18th August 1973

Dno4DuAX4AE_jv9.jpg

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Keith's son was Gavin Peacock, who played for Chelsea and Newcastle.  He was perhaps best known for being a Christian.

Gavin Peacock scored the winner in both games when Chelsea beat Manchester United 1-0 home and away in the Premier League in (I think) the 93-94 season. Utd won the league regardless, and pumped Chelsea 4-0 in the FA Cup final (when Peacock rattled the bar with a cracking volley, if memory serves me right). 

Anyway, Sportsound. Shite sometimes, eh? 

27 minutes ago, mozam76 said:

Gavin Peacock scored the winner in both games when Chelsea beat Manchester United 1-0 home and away in the Premier League in (I think) the 93-94 season. Utd won the league regardless, and pumped Chelsea 4-0 in the FA Cup final (when Peacock rattled the bar with a cracking volley, if memory serves me right). 

Anyway, Sportsound. Shite sometimes, eh? 

I think it was 0-0 at the time when he hit the bar too. 

9 minutes ago, The Master said:

According to Heather Dewar there, Alloa are looking to take all three points today against Inverness in order to progress to the next round. 

Same old Alloa, always trying to cheat. 

36 minutes ago, Green Day said:

Alan Preston sounded like he came in his pants when Hearts scored........

Why does that fat p***k always get to commentate on his own teams matches (same with Miller/Bonner), rather bizarre? 

They've been doing it for years.

If they have a pundit who is closely linked to a certain club, they'll cover that club either on open all mics or as a co-commentator. 

But they then go further and assume that because a pundit is linked to a club in a certain part of Scotland, they're an expert on all clubs within a certain radius.  I'm around 75% certain that Willie Miller be one of the co-commentators at Dens later because he always turns up on Dundee and/or Dundee Utd games because of his Aberdeen connections. 

First time listening to open all mics for a while - annoyances are Kenny MacIntyre saying home team and away team instead of the clubs names when Livi got a penalty, and whoever is at Tynecastle has their mic giving too much background/PA noise meaning you can hardly hear other people.

Edited by Ginaro

Not actually Sportsound, but on Radio Scotland News this morning, Liam McLeod was invited to offer his expert analysis of why the Scottish Cup has such appeal.  He started off by saying it's the "World's oldest football competition".  Utter shite - it's not even this island's.

I do believe it's the oldest continuously contested physical trophy, but that's not the same thing.  Of course, his crap went typically unchallenged.

First time listening to open all mics for a while - annoyances are Kenny MacIntyre saying home team and away team instead of the clubs names when Livi got a penalty, and whoever is at Tynecastle has their mic giving too much background/PA noise meaning you can hardly hear other people.
Aye same here. Was a good few minutes till had a slightest idea who had scored a penalty against who. Absolutely useless

8 hours ago, Green Day said:

Alan Preston sounded like he came in his pants when Hearts scored........

Why does that fat p***k always get to commentate on his own teams matches (same with Miller/Bonner), rather bizarre? 

Alan Preston is a Hearts fan in the same way that Chick Young is St Mirren. He's literally spent Stendel's entire NAZI REGIME crying that one of his pals didn't get the job.

9 hours ago, The Master said:

They've been doing it for years.

If they have a pundit who is closely linked to a certain club, they'll cover that club either on open all mics or as a co-commentator. 

But they then go further and assume that because a pundit is linked to a club in a certain part of Scotland, they're an expert on all clubs within a certain radius.  I'm around 75% certain that Willie Miller be one of the co-commentators at Dens later because he always turns up on Dundee and/or Dundee Utd games because of his Aberdeen connections. 

Called it.

I know what you mean but is it not just more cost effective and efficient to have a pundit to cover a certain area and expect them to gen up a bit on the teams in that area.

I appreciate Derek Ferguson has a soft spot for Accies (obviously not his main team) but he sees enough of Motherwell to be able to comment knowledgably on them. It's not always easy on the ear but he at least knows who the players are. If Willie Miller can't do the same for the Dundee clubs they should just bin him.