Sportsound Watch

4 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Some of them can be describing the goal for a good 10-15 seconds before you're sure which team scored it.

I can't work out if it's incompetence (probably is tbf) or some sort of inflated ego that dictates the Scottish public should know who's who and which game this is by their voices alone.

On 21/12/2019 at 17:27, craigkillie said:
On 21/12/2019 at 16:19, HibsFan said:
I don't know why I subject myself to Open All Mics.
Absolutely horrendous in-jokes/patter and trying to work out which nasally voiced West Coast p***k has shouted 'goal!'
Aye, don't bother telling us the team who's scored it lads, just leave us all in the dark.

Some of them can be describing the goal for a good 10-15 seconds before you're sure which team scored it.

It gets worse.  Some BBC Fuckwit was at Tannadice yesterday as Dundee Utd played Ayr Utd and screamed 'Goal to United' and it took prompting from (the excellent) Dick Gordon to finally tease out which United had scored.

Edited by The_Kincardine

1 minute ago, The_Kincardine said:

It gets worse.  Billy Dodds was at Tannadice yesterday as Dundee Utd played Ayr Utd and screamed 'Goal to United' and it took prompting from (the excellent) Dick Gordon to finally tease out which United had scored.

Not Billy Dodds

It gets worse.  Some BBC Fuckwit was at Tannadice yesterday as Dundee Utd played Ayr Utd and screamed 'Goal to United' and it took prompting from (the excellent) Dick Gordon to finally tease out which United had scored.

Thank you for showing Richard Gordon the appropriate respect

32 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

TBF until Shankland most people wouldnt have heard of Ayr Utd 

Aye.  Let's gloss over their former manager and player taking Scotland to the 1978 WC Finals.   Ayr Utd are one of Scottish football's teams of note.

31 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I’m biased I’m sure but objectively think he’s excellent as well.
Seems to get plenty stick on this thread which I don’t appreciate.

I seldom take note of other posters...

Edited by The_Kincardine

On 21/12/2019 at 17:27, craigkillie said:
On 21/12/2019 at 16:19, HibsFan said:
I don't know why I subject myself to Open All Mics.
Absolutely horrendous in-jokes/patter and trying to work out which nasally voiced West Coast p***k has shouted 'goal!'
Aye, don't bother telling us the team who's scored it lads, just leave us all in the dark.

This drives me nuts.

The only place I'm likely to listen to it these days is in the car.  Unless going on a long journey, I'm therefore probably only catching a few minutes at a time.

I've actually heard entire segments from the reporter at the ground in which not once is the team who just scored, identified.

I think it's simply down to incompetence and the failure of the broadcaster to carry out his most fundamental  function - to communicate the salient facts simply and clearly.   Too often, it seems to be all about conveying excitement rather than information.  

Putting yourself in the shoes of the audience sounds to me like the most basic and necessary requirement.  Clearly that's not obvious enough to some who get to clutch microphones though.

There was an example on Saturday where Ian Harkes scored for Dundee United.

Somebody shouts "goal! And it's Harkes who's got it!"

Now, to me and I imagine quite a few people, we A) don't necessarily know straightaway that Harkes plays for Dundee United off the top of our head.

And B) "Harkes" sounds a hell of a lot like "Hearts", one of the biggest sides in Scottish football. How about making things easier for us by going "GOAL FOR DUNDEE UNITED" first.

9 hours ago, HibsFan said:

There was an example on Saturday where Ian Harkes scored for Dundee United.

Somebody shouts "goal! And it's Harkes who's got it!"

Now, to me and I imagine quite a few people, we A) don't necessarily know straightaway that Harkes plays for Dundee United off the top of our head.

And B) "Harkes" sounds a hell of a lot like "Hearts", one of the biggest sides in Scottish football. How about making things easier for us by going "GOAL FOR DUNDEE UNITED" first.

Yes, some sort of protocol whereby they initially identify the team that scored and what that now makes the scoreline, would be a good idea.  

I'm not convinced they could all cope with such guidance mind, but it's worth a try.  It would then leave them free to incoherently try to relay a version of what they'd seen happen. 

On 21/12/2019 at 21:43, HibsFan said:

I can't work out if it's incompetence (probably is tbf) or some sort of inflated ego that dictates the Scottish public should know who's who and which game this is by their voices alone.

Today is the 4-month anniversary of my amending Allan Preston's Wikipedia page to change his nickname to "Biscuit*" [sic]. It hasn't been corrected, nor has the page been updated in any way, so it seems that at least some of the reporters aren't as high profile as they might imagine.

* Childish, I know; but I was playing golf with someone who plays golf with Preston, and who described him to me as "that Biscuit - off the radio!" So it had to be done.