Sportsound Watch

What did he say?

He didn’t go into detail but he criticised language used in a press conference on Friday (McPhee) and last Monday (I interpreted as grant).
I thought he was referring to grant as the two interviews were comparable. McPhee was talking about the difference between lies and errors being malice which is basically what the whole grant interview was about.
Also I think the Michael O’Neill intervention was 2 weeks ago.

Basically Peter Grant accused Michael Stewart of being a low down Yankee liar regarding some story about Leigh Griffiths getting the fuzzy end of the lollipop in the Scotland camp. Tom English tried to educate PG re the distinction between an outright lie and a factual error but PG was unable to grasp this. Daily Record has full transcript. Soon to be a sitcom.

I thought the most "car crash" bit last night was Kenny Mac noising up Michael Stewart because he criticised managers on air (isnt that part of a pundits job???).

If ever there was a case of someone lacking self awareness it was this football journalist, himself paid to make comments on players, managers etc -  but who has never to my knowledge played professionally - slagging off an ex player pundit.......................for the sin of never having been a manager. 

clintonfacepalm.jpg.84a6d7e6dad3d1f66fea6283e099cd08.jpg

2 hours ago, Green Day said:

I thought the most "car crash" bit last night was Kenny Mac noising up Michael Stewart because he criticised managers on air (isnt that part of a pundits job???).

If ever there was a case of someone lacking self awareness it was this football journalist, himself paid to make comments on players, managers etc -  but who has never to my knowledge played professionally - slagging off an ex player pundit.......................for the sin of never having been a manager. 

clintonfacepalm.jpg.84a6d7e6dad3d1f66fea6283e099cd08.jpg

"Kenny Mac" isn't paid to comment on players or managers. He's not a pundit.

1 hour ago, Darren said:

"Kenny Mac" isn't paid to comment on players or managers. He's not a pundit.

I guess thats why I described him as a journalist?

image.png.bb6c103bb529f19d3941e2855a38a05e.png

As to him "not being paid to comment on players and managers" -  It took me all of 2 seconds to find this comment about ex Rangers manager Mark Warburton................

8 minutes ago, Green Day said:

I guess thats why I described him as a journalist?

image.png.bb6c103bb529f19d3941e2855a38a05e.png

As to him "not being paid to comment on players and managers" -  It took me all of 2 seconds to find this comment about ex Rangers manager Mark Warburton................

Don't think he's paid for his tweets.

1 minute ago, Green Day said:

Darren, I really cant be arsed arguing about this, so lets just say you win and that BBC sports journalists are definitely not paid to comment on players or managers?

Sounds good to me.

I’ve got to be honest I really enjoy Monday’s programmes when English and Stewart are on. 

Loved the awkward radio silence from Snakey when English asked him how he couldn’t have seen the sack coming after steering Carlisle from 6th to 19th.

9 hours ago, St. Jude said:

I’ve got to be honest I really enjoy Monday’s programmes when English and Stewart are on. 

Loved the awkward radio silence from Snakey when English asked him how he couldn’t have seen the sack coming after steering Carlisle from 6th to 19th.

Agree with this. The show gets a lot of a bad press, rightly so, but the Monday podcast is by far the best Scottish football podcast I listen to. While McIntyre looks like a man you would not let babysit your children he also does a good job of hosting. Stewart and English are also likely bellends but, in the right forum, they are good value. 

27 minutes ago, Muzza81 said:

Agree with this. The show gets a lot of a bad press, rightly so, but the Monday podcast is by far the best Scottish football podcast I listen to. While McIntyre looks like a man you would not let babysit your children he also does a good job of hosting. Stewart and English are also likely bellends but, in the right forum, they are good value. 

They debate really well and for the most part offer interesting opinions that aren’t completely clouded by bias. They haven’t been afraid to tackle the sectarianism issue with Celtic and Rangers either unlike 99% of the media in this country. Stewart called out Rangers recently for the orange strips, I’ve never heard that from a Scottish media person before.

If one of them isn’t there the show doesn’t work anywhere near as well.

On ‎26‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 09:38, Green Day said:

I just listened to the show but didn't hear any "car crash"...?  Is this just an expression people use when they expect there to be an uproar (even when there isn't one)?

23 hours ago, St. Jude said:

I also didn't here that awkward silence but did find it a strange question to ask given that Pressley had already mentioned being given strong backing two weeks earlier.

17 hours ago, St. Jude said:

They debate really well and for the most part offer interesting opinions that aren’t completely clouded by bias. They haven’t been afraid to tackle the sectarianism issue with Celtic and Rangers either unlike 99% of the media in this country. Stewart called out Rangers recently for the orange strips, I’ve never heard that from a Scottish media person before.

If one of them isn’t there the show doesn’t work anywhere near as well.

16 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

The difference is that Stewart and English are both articulate, intelligent, and of fairly independent mind.

Those things can very seldom be said of other contributors.

It's fair to say that it's a different show when the two of them are on it.

A lot of people seem to dislike either of them for whatever reason, but they are by far the best at their jobs on the show.

Firstly, they are prepared to go off-message and say what they think rather than what might help them get a job or talk up a mate. Secondly, they are able to construct reasonable arguments to back up their positions. Even if you disagree with them, you can see where they are coming from. Thirdly, and this is important in a radio show, they have the ability to actually speak clearly, command language and communicate.

Andy McLaren a while back and Peter Grant recently have both ended up arguing with Michael Stewart on air basically because they didn't understand his (correct) use of the English language. Think about that.

22 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

It's fair to say that it's a different show when the two of them are on it.

A lot of people seem to dislike either of them for whatever reason, but they are by far the best at their jobs on the show.

Firstly, they are prepared to go off-message and say what they think rather than what might help them get a job or talk up a mate. Secondly, they are able to construct reasonable arguments to back up their positions. Even if you disagree with them, you can see where they are coming from. Thirdly, and this is important in a radio show, they have the ability to actually speak clearly, command language and communicate.

Andy McLaren a while back and Peter Grant recently have both ended up arguing with Michael Stewart on air basically because they didn't understand his (correct) use of the English language. Think about that.

Is that when Stewart got caught lying and tried to weasel out of it.....

Just now, Rodhull said:

I see your understanding of what lying means is as good as Peter Grant's.

Depends on whether or not you believe Stewart's sources excuse.

Peter obviously doesn't believe a word of it.