Sportsound Watch

2 hours ago, paranoid android said:

Yep - a few seconds later, the rest of the éxperts' (and Richard Gordon) had managed to ascertain that the instrument in question was, in fact, a bouzouki. 

Wow. At least Willie would have made me laugh with that one. Like Pakie Bonnar's 'You can lead a duck to water.'

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

Peter Grant is up there with Bonner in the absolute thick c**t stakes. Good grief.

Listening to someone like him having a conversation/debate/argument with Michael Stewart is cringeworthy beyond belief. 

3 hours ago, mozam76 said:

Listening to someone like him having a conversation/debate/argument with Michael Stewart is cringeworthy beyond belief. 

Michael Stewart must love it, makes him sound somewhat intelligent.

Peter Grant is typical of the Sportsound fitba man chat. His vocabulary doesn't extend beyond cliches he's heard other folk say on TV and just repeats them when he's questioned on something, regardless of whether it makes sense or not. Obviously Michael Stewart can be a bit grating but he made him look like a numpty by just being half coherent and logical. 

What's more worrying is that folk like Peter Grant are still getting decent jobs in the national set up. God knows what it must be like for some of the players playing in top English sides and pro youth academies to come to international duty and deal with folk like that. 

5 hours ago, Fratelli said:

Peter Grant is typical of the Sportsound fitba man chat. His vocabulary doesn't extend beyond cliches he's heard other folk say on TV and just repeats them when he's questioned on something, regardless of whether it makes sense or not. Obviously Michael Stewart can be a bit grating but he made him look like a numpty by just being half coherent and logical. 

What's more worrying is that folk like Peter Grant are still getting decent jobs in the national set up. God knows what it must be like for some of the players playing in top English sides and pro youth academies to come to international duty and deal with folk like that. 

A Scotland player was in the press this week, I can't remember who, and he was saying the difference in professionalism between the McLeish, Grant and McFadden team and the Clarke, Dyer and Reid team is night and day. 

1 hour ago, paulbrucerick said:

Think it was Palmer.

It was. And one of the few specific examples of the set-up being “a lot more professional” under Clarke he was quoted on , was the players having to wear trainers rather than flip-flops in the hotel. 

The bookies’ll be slashing the odds for us to win the Euros now

7 hours ago, TheScarf said:

What was the gist of the Stewart and Grant exchange? 

Back when Mcleish was in charge Stewart had said on Sportsound he'd heard from people he trusted that the management team had slaughtered Griffiths in the dressing room post match (can't remember which game).

Grant was saying that Stewart made it up and that it was a complete and utter lie. Stewart kept saying he was happy to accept if the information was wrong but that he'd heard it from two sources that he trusted. He kept asking Grant if he could see the difference between erroneous information and just making something up...he could not. Just kept repeating 'a lie is a lie'.

31 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Back when Mcleish was in charge Stewart had said on Sportsound he'd heard from people he trusted that the management team had slaughtered Griffiths in the dressing room post match (can't remember which game).

Grant was saying that Stewart made it up and that it was a complete and utter lie. Stewart kept saying he was happy to accept if the information was wrong but that he'd heard it from two sources that he trusted. He kept asking Grant if he could see the difference between erroneous information and just making something up...he could not. Just kept repeating 'a lie is a lie'.

I've just listened to it.

It's exactly as you describe and it's incredible.  Grant emerges as even more stupid than hitherto appreciated.  I almost felt sorry for him, but I didn't.

I've just listened to it. It's exactly as you describe and it's incredible.  Grant emerges as even more stupid than hitherto appreciated.  I almost felt sorry for him, but I didn't.

Grant sounded like a fool. Imagine if he had anything to do with the international set up. I wouldn’t trust him with crayons.

Wouldn’t surprise me to discover he is a bully.

If it was a complete lie - it sounds a lot like the story Keith Jackson felt fit to print - Grant couldn’t really react in any other way.

This is not to detract, by the way, from the fact that Peter Grant can barely spell his own name.

6 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

If it was a complete lie - it sounds a lot like the story Keith Jackson felt fit to print - Grant couldn’t really react in any other way.

This is not to detract, by the way, from the fact that Peter Grant can barely spell his own name.

If it was a complete lie, I'd be very surprised to be honest.  My guess would be that there's room for debate over what might be termed "slaughtered" as opposed to criticised.

Either way though, that doesn't really matter.  Grant isn't getting mocked here for refuting the allegation.  He's getting roundly ridiculed because he could apparently genuinely see no distinction between the notions of 'lie' and 'error'.  

He's an imbecile.

On 18/11/2019 at 12:27, tarapoa said:

Fair point, but would Austin McPhee regard finishing treble runners-up as failure?   (or has he had Karl Heinz Rummenigge in his back pocket?).

Other than that, I think most dandies would probably agree that Miller can probably overdo it a wee bit - and to an extent was put back in his box by a semi-pished sounding Michael O'Neill on the McPhee thing.

Never questioned at any point WM playing ability. His management and media input however are train wreck at best which was my point. This is the same WM who on the live link prior to the Scotland game on Tuesday said he thought Naismith would be benched and Shankland would come in. Aye Wullie the same Shankland who went up the road injured two days ago. In a five second sound bite he sums up the completely inept institution that is our BBC Scotland productions.