Sportsound Watch

6 hours ago, JTS98 said:

Even the batshit-mental hysteria around a 1-0 defeat in Prague a decade or so ago that Craig Levein has never been allowed to forget shows the danger of not being on the inside of Scottish football's pals' act. Listening to the way that is discussed in Scotland you'd think Levein invented the 4 6 0 system or that he was the first coach to use it. You'd be shocked to find it's a perfectly common system used by plenty of teams all over the world all the time. Yet, Levein, as coach of a side that most people accept had a lack of good international strikers, has never been allowed to forget using it in a game where a draw would have done us fine. We lost because of a shit goal from a corner. You'd be forgiven for forgetting that. It's the go-to line for many people when discussing Levein and plenty of pundits and media types join in.

Yeah the furore from 4-6-0 was ridiculous. Still gets mentioned on here from time to time. My feelings at the time are still the same as now. It was a silly thing to try at international level without trying it in a friendly when nearly everyone in the squad had probably never ever played that  formation. 

Yeah the furore from 4-6-0 was ridiculous. Still gets mentioned on here from time to time. My feelings at the time are still the same as now. It was a silly thing to try at international level without trying it in a friendly when nearly everyone in the squad had probably never ever played that  formation. 
Trying it in that situation wasnt great. Not remedying it 15 minutes into the game was criminal.

Trying that style needs proper drilling and the correct players. Much like when shite managers think that a high pressing game simply means yous strikers run about loads, it was just never on for us. All that our attempt did was leave no balance and no out ball, inviting a team who were nothing special onto us.

It should have been changed long before half time. That was my issie with it. The idea isnt one that I overly like, the execution was shite.

Then they all giggled like wee schoolgirls. It's a cliquey unprofessional show that needs a clear out. Some people have been there far too long.
Absolutely. I am not defending the dinosaurs. Merely pointing out that Gordon made a slip of the tongue, stopped a good bit short of saying "McFanny" and that the ridiculous and childish reaction came from Miller and Preston.

7 hours ago, VictorOnopko said:

Richard Gordon is a beacon of calm competence among a rabble of frothing idiots on Sportsound.  It's nonsense to suggest he is an enabler or a sycophant.

I never thought I would detest any sport broadcaster more than the apparently non-retired Chick Young, but "Biscuits" is running him close these days.  Almost everything he says demonstrates that he's thick as mince, and he obviously has a huge agenda as an agent.  The MacPhee stuff was really bad.  All topped off by having a voice which is somehow even more annoying than Chick's.

I reckon 'Biscuits' overtook Chico some time ago in the detestable stakes. Only heard a snippet of his rant last night and it sounded truly appalling. The old pals act is bad enough on Sportsound, trying to get 'Yogi' a job or whatever but as the  BBC is funded by taxpayers, it is even more headnipping, hearing Preston continually spouting his agent's agenda just about every time he's on. 

I reckon 'Biscuits' overtook Chico some time ago in the detestable stakes. Only heard a snippet of his rant last night and it sounded truly appalling. The old pals act is bad enough on Sportsound, trying to get 'Yogi' a job or whatever but as the  BBC is funded by taxpayers, it is even more headnipping, hearing Preston continually spouting his agent's agenda just about every time he's on. 

At least Chico can string a sentence together. Biscuits is semi-literate at best, and offers no insight whatsoever. I have no idea why he’s employed as he is. He merely promotes his own players. I’d imagine he’s a shite agent too.

4 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Willie gets himself confused.

I reckon if someone asked him ‘do you think hearts are a club that should push for regular European qualification?’ He’d unequivocally say yes.

It was a bit cringe his reaction though.

I don't see what's to be confused about. The point was very simple.

A guy who regularly acts like a p***k on the radio acted like a p***k on the radio. He's probably a p***k. Good player or not.

There are a couple of things at play here. Miller doesn't like Hearts very much. That's clear in pretty much any discussion of Hearts that he's part of and he's not bright enough to hide it. I don't have a problem with that, we're all football fans and we're allowed to dislike each other's teams.

But he's also clearly got a bee in his bonnet about MacPhee and, again, wasn't bright enough to hide it.

It's a pretty mental response to a very beige point. To be honest, the BBC should be punting him. He's not good at his job anyway, but this whole thing shows him up as petty, unprofessional and thick. He offers nothing and shouldn't be on the radio.

While we're at it, it's a disgrace that the BBC repeatedly gives Preston a platform to shop-window his clients. It's unbelievable what standards have become at BBC Scotland.

The attempted pile-on of Michael O'Neill who was on last night's show saying "actually Austin MacPhee's alright" was quite a listen.

I heard bits and pieces of the "debate" and it seemed to largely consist of Willie Miller being absolutely furious that he was getting called out by a reasonably successful international manager.

Edited by capt_oats

1 minute ago, JTS98 said:

A guy who regularly acts like a p***k on the radio acted like a p***k on the radio. He's probably a p***k. Good player or not.

There are a couple of things at play here. Miller doesn't like Hearts very much. That's clear in pretty much any discussion of Hearts that he's part of and he's not bright enough to hide it. I don't have a problem with that, we're all football fans and we're allowed to dislike each other's teams.

But he's also clearly got a bee in his bonnet about MacPhee and, again, wasn't bright enough to hide it.

It's a pretty mental response to a very beige point. To be honest, the BBC should be punting him. He's not good at his job anyway, but this whole thing shows him up as petty, unprofessional and thick. He offers nothing and shouldn't be on the radio.

While we're at it, it's a disgrace that the BBC repeatedly gives Preston a platform to shop-window his clients. It's unbelievable what standards have become at BBC Scotland.

I'm not really defending him, he made an arse of himself. I'm merely pointing out he definitely does see Hearts as a club that should be challenging for Europe, he just fucked it up.

He probably does have an issue with Macphee. Unfair, yes.

13 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

He's certainly got you riled up over a fairly trivial point.

1 minute ago, Merkland Red said:

He's certainly got you riled up over a fairly trivial point.

In the context of the quality of Sportsound's output I'd argue Willie Miller is not a trivial point. He's one of the worst things on the show.

If he'd played for someone else I doubt you'd have made that post.

The man's a cretin. It's not just this point, it's week in week out. He's a symptom of the problem.