Sportsound Watch

On 22/10/2019 at 08:40, Rugster said:

His entire commentary is about trying to make as many soundbites as possible. Every little thing is exaggerated to the nth degree. "And THAT. IS. A. CORNER."

He probably cries himself to sleep with jealousy every time he hears Tyler's "AGuerrrrrooooooooooo".

He's a fanny.

On 22/10/2019 at 10:07, JTS98 said:

You hear this pish everywhere now. Match of the Day can be quite bad for it. The eternal hunt for the reusable soundbite.

There's a cringey bit of commentary in our 4-0 cup semi win over Hibs when Ian Crocker squeals that Paul Hartley is "what a hero...a super hero". It's so obvious he knew he had to hit out with some kind of pish like that but had no idea where to go.

Football commentators actually make it quite embarrassing to watch football in the company of people who don't like football.

This isn't unique to football. The prevalence of social media - and subsequent decreasing number of people who'll watch a whole sporting event live - and short videos/gifs has led to commentary being as over the top and soundbite-friendly as possible. It's generally insufferable.

They certainly don't make commentators like they used to but we live in a visual world now and the written or spoken word doesn't matter as much.

Outside of the legendary big names David Begg was great.

Currently one's you barely pay attention to so I don't get why they'd get any sort of extreme reaction out of anyone. 

His entire commentary is about trying to make as many soundbites as possible. Every little thing is exaggerated to the nth degree. "And THAT. IS. A. CORNER."
He probably cries himself to sleep with jealousy every time he hears Tyler's "AGuerrrrrooooooooooo".
 He's a fanny.

Once you notice this, it’s hard to ignore. And it really begins to grate.

On 22/10/2019 at 14:42, Salvo Montalbano said:

Agree with both these comments. Jock Brown on the BBC games with Archie MacPherson doing the STV games meant I always watched Sportscene on a Saturday but didn't watch Scotsport unless Dunfermline were in the featured game. Brown was very knowledgeable and allowed the footage to do the talking.

Andrew Cotter is superb. I think I first heard him do Rugby, then Golf, then Tennis and recently Athletics. He seems to have a reasonable grasp of all the sports he covers while allowing the summariser to add depth or insight rather than those commentators like Jonathan Pearce who want to make out they are experts rather then just there to add a bit of context to the footage.

Pearce failing to comprehend in any shape or form that goal line technology had been applied at two stages of the same move/incident showed his thickness to be the equal of his arrogance. 

On 22/10/2019 at 13:49, JTS98 said:

I can't stand Pearce's disdain for pretty much whatever he's watching or his flat intonation when he is certain something is about to happen and is almost bored.

Just comes across as a stuck-up prat.

I don’t mind Pearce actually , but your comments about his disdain for the game he’s watching are applicable to Mark Lawrenson whenever he’s a co-commentator.  Which , thankfully , isn’t very often these days. 

Him and Alan Green gave the impression that they were doing everyone a massive favour by giving up their time to cover some matches. Especially the likes of the initial group games in the World Cup finals or the Euro finals.

Going back to Martin Tyler’s “Aguerro” moment , it seemed to me to be entirely spontaneous and was fitting for the event he was describing.  And generally speaking he’s one of the better commentators and has been for years.

But I can’t stand the contrived “.........And it’s live !! “ bit he does ,usually just before the final advert break before the start of English Premier League matches. I get the impression he’s getting fed up of it as well and probably realises that Watford v Burnley isn’t really worthy of a big build-up

4 hours ago, KingRocketman II said:

Pearce failing to comprehend in any shape or form that goal line technology had been applied at two stages of the same move/incident showed his thickness to be the equal of his arrogance. 

That he went on about it afterwards in every game and went on a tearful moronic rant whenever there was a decision to be made using the technology just compounded his massive dickishness and arrogance. It was like he couldn't possibly be wrong and it was everyone else who was.

Going back to Martin Tyler’s “Aguerro” moment , it seemed to me to be entirely spontaneous and was fitting for the event he was describing.  And generally speaking he’s one of the better commentators and has been for years.
But I can’t stand the contrived “.........And it’s live !! “ bit he does ,usually just before the final advert break before the start of English Premier League matches. I get the impression he’s getting fed up of it as well and probably realises that Watford v Burnley isn’t really worthy of a big build-up
The PA guy at Brechin used that line just before the kick off of the Brechin v Cowdenbeath play off game several years back. Part of me found it funny, but part of me found it very cringeworthy.

On 24/10/2019 at 10:50, Salvo Montalbano said:

PES used to have Peter Brackley back in the day, no?

Now there was a truly fantastic commentator.

Football Italia on Channel 4 with James Richardson presenting and Peter Brackley commentating was basically Sunday afternoons in the 90s. 

Peter Brackley sadly passed away just over a year ago.

Edited by The Master

On 24/10/2019 at 07:35, cmontheloknow said:

image.thumb.png.1d729308957e22c8e7c20c48bc72f0b1.pngimage.thumb.png.166554134aa5a431820193979a69f7e4.png

Mind when Only an Excuse was still half decent there was an Archie scetch of him just listing players names, something like "Ryan Christie, reminiscent of a young Neil Lennon, Lennon, reminiscent of a young....etc etc"  every 5 or six sketches they'd cut back and hes sitting there older, longer white hair and eyebrows, halfmasts higher and higher, listing all these random names

I imagine the auld tit sitting in bed reading this to his wife in his Deputy Headmasters voice and her just thinking "for the love of f**k, here we go again"

On 24/10/2019 at 12:56, Ya Bezzer! said:

Outside of the legendary big names David Begg was great.

Agreed , but for years he made think that Derek Stillie was playing a pivotal role in every game.  Throughout his commentary on any given game he would frequently say “.....and still ‘e has it”.    Always took me a second or two to realise that he meant some outfield player or other was still in possession.

6 hours ago, HeWhoWalksBehindTheRows said:

Mind when Only an Excuse was still half decent there was an Archie scetch of him just listing players names, something like "Ryan Christie, reminiscent of a young Neil Lennon, Lennon, reminiscent of a young....etc etc"  every 5 or six sketches they'd cut back and hes sitting there older, longer white hair and eyebrows, halfmasts higher and higher, listing all these random names

I imagine the auld tit sitting in bed reading this to his wife in his Deputy Headmasters voice and her just thinking "for the love of f**k, here we go again"

Headmaster, I'll have you know! At Calderbank (Temporary HT) and Swinton Primaries! 😂

42 minutes ago, A96 said:

Agreed , but for years he made think that Derek Stillie was playing a pivotal role in every game.  Throughout his commentary on any given game he would frequently say “.....and still ‘e has it”.    Always took me a second or two to realise that he meant some outfield player or other was still in possession.

Thing with Begg was that you could tell before the end of his sentence what had happened as he had a knack of sounding full of woe as soon as a ball was off target, misplaced etc... he got my goat anyway! Alastair Alexander was way superior (IMO) on the radio in that era. 

7 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

Thing with Begg was that you could tell before the end of his sentence what had happened as he had a knack of sounding full of woe as soon as a ball was off target, misplaced etc... he got my goat anyway! Alastair Alexander was way superior (IMO) on the radio in that era. 

Is that a bad thing for a radio commentary though ?   I’d have thought the primary aim is to let the listener know what’s just happened as soon as possible