Sportsound Watch

2 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

I'lI only watch MOTD if I don't know the scores.  Couldn't give a flying f*** otherwise.

I was about to say that you could at least always avoid the (English) Championship scores and enjoy the Sunday morning goals show (I presume that's finished) over breakfast, but I've just remembered that they spoiled it somewhat by telling you that a goal was coming up, e.g. "Blackburn were desperately in need of a goal, and they got it in the 67th minute when Jordan Rhodes broke free..."  

The EPL Show on Quest repeats early Sunday morning.

Aye they still do what you describe in terms of goals, although only for 'round up' games.

They used to show goals in the 'coming up after the break' clips. The absolute worst offence.

4 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

I'lI only watch MOTD if I don't know the scores.  Couldn't give a flying f*** otherwise.

I was about to say that you could at least always avoid the (English) Championship scores and enjoy the Sunday morning goals show (I presume that's finished) over breakfast, but I've just remembered that they spoiled it somewhat by telling you that a goal was coming up, e.g. "Blackburn were desperately in need of a goal, and they got it in the 67th minute when Jordan Rhodes broke free..."  

Jordan Rhodes would have missed.

• 2 weeks later...

An very bizarre and robust defence was launched last of Jack Ross.

Firstly this meant that they talked more about him last night than the have about the vast majority of Scottish teams this season so far.

Secondly it was of course total bollocks. We got that it was 'too early in the season' to sack him, despite him failing his mandate, i.e. getting Sunderland promoted last season. They rolled out a stat about how few games he lost, totally missing how many his team have drawn, which is what cost them last season. 

With the budget and players he has he really should have got Sunderland promoted last season, and now that they're way off the top it would surely be a big risk for them to keep him on.

Edited by DA Baracus

Current/ex managers will always defend their colleagues for obvious but I doubt jack Ross would feel it was too harsh. That club really won’t expect to spend much time in league 1 so patience just isn’t possible.

He will have known when he didn’t take them up last season that a bad start and it would be curtains.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

The former Elgin manager? Doesn't seem very topical.

As if they'd ever even mentioned Elgin! Most of them would have had zero idea that Elgin have a team if it wasn't for Sevco's games against them.

On 09/10/2019 at 19:57, DA Baracus said:

An very bizarre and robust defence was launched last of Jack Ross.

Firstly this meant that they talked more about him last night than the have about the vast majority of Scottish teams this season so far.

Secondly it was of course total bollocks. We got that it was 'too early in the season' to sack him, despite him failing his mandate, i.e. getting Sunderland promoted last season. They rolled out a stat about how few games he lost, totally missing how many his team have drawn, which is what cost them last season. 

With the budget and players he has he really should have got Sunderland promoted last season, and now that they're way off the top it would surely be a big risk for them to keep him on.

I can see both sides of it.

I've got a mate who's a Sunderland fan and goes home and away. Obviously, he's a sample of one, but his view was that while it was disappointing not to go up last season it was forgivable given how much of a shambles of a club and squad Ross had inherited. As they're not too far off the pace at the moment, it doesn't seem at all out of the question that he'd have taken them up this season.

But there you. I agree with the point above that anything other than a flying start this season was likely to be curtains.

I was tuned in at the start of tonight's show, where almost right away, Richard Gordon handed over to Liam Macleod "for the team news in Moscow"

Macleod let's us know who's in goal, and who the defence are, all ok so far.  Then when mentioning Fleck starting in midfield, he goes off at a tangent, mentioning that he last represented the U21s 10 years ago, and then lists a big list of players who were also in the U21 squad at that time. 

Beyond that, I had zero idea who was actually playing (though the defence didn't seem to either,  based on the final score).

I was tuned in at the start of tonight's show, where almost right away, Richard Gordon handed over to Liam Macleod "for the team news in Moscow"
Macleod let's us know who's in goal, and who the defence are, all ok so far.  Then when mentioning Fleck starting in midfield, he goes off at a tangent, mentioning that he last represented the U21s 10 years ago, and then lists a big list of players who were also in the U21 squad at that time. 
Beyond that, I had zero idea who was actually playing (though the defence didn't seem to either,  based on the final score).
Does it really matter who's playing? Every single one of them seems an impostor of the player you see in their club team on a Saturday.

Tuned in earlier on in the week and was "shocked" to hear that the real victim in the Ryan Christie assault was Ryan himself. They had his Father on to confirm he's "not that kind of a player" so ignore his horrendous challenge and feel sorry for him because he got a bit of abuse on twitter.

They also had Lewis Ferguson's Father on to confirm that Lewis is "not that kind of a player" after another of his wild lunges earned him a red card. 

It's maybe going to be a new feature to get a parent on to defend red card offences.

10 hours ago, Austin McCann said:

Tuned in earlier on in the week and was "shocked" to hear that the real victim in the Ryan Christie assault was Ryan himself. They had his Father on to confirm he's "not that kind of a player" so ignore his horrendous challenge and feel sorry for him because he got a bit of abuse on twitter.

They also had Lewis Ferguson's Father on to confirm that Lewis is "not that kind of a player" after another of his wild lunges earned him a red card. 

It's maybe going to be a new feature to get a parent on to defend red card offences.

Maybe we can introduce a black card whereby you've committed a horrible tackle but you're generally a good c**t so we don't want to show you a red card.

58 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Can't deal with David Currie anymore.

The amount of times he cuts in with a schoolboy remark when guests are making a decent point, it's ridiculous.

It really is like he's only there to make sure nobody ever finishes a good point and has been told the best way to do this is to inject 'banter' at any opportunity.