Sportsound Watch

The golfer they interviewed had the worst Sheena Easton American accent ever.
He made up for it with his honesty though.

He basically admitted his shitness and that he was nowhere near a major win at the moment. Incredibly refreshing to hear.

My original point was about the number of listeners/potential listeners that the Scottish open had yesterday.

Can they justify it taking precedence over the football?

The least they could've had was a reasonable secondary coverage of the games but they didn't. It was woeful.

It is only the group stages of the league cup. So the potential audience isn’t going to be huge.

Stuck it on about 10 to 6 as the Cowdenbeath game is live and I can’t make it. About half an hour Celtic chat, from Tierney to Europe, before I heard a single mention of the Betfred Cup. 

I stuck it on just in time to hear the part of the build up where they were discussing Daniel Candieas...🤷‍♂️

On 13/07/2019 at 20:25, Scary Bear said:

I heard Chick Young (retired with a vengeance) saying there were 2500 at the Cowdenbeath v East Fife game. Quick check on the BBC website has the crowd as a more realistic 469.

Didn’t anyone else hear him giving that Cowden v East Fife crowd as 2500? Just want to check I’m not as fucking doolally as Chico.

Jesus Christ he asked Donald Findlay this. 

First time I've heard Stuart McFarlane commentate. He sets the scene very well and has a great voice. Hope to hear more of him this season. 

Agreed, didn’t know who it was but liking it.

Jesus Christ he asked Donald Findlay this. 

He asked Donald Findlay about the 2500 who turned up on Saturday?

I hope Donald blew smoke in his face, turned and walked away muttering “what a fanny”.

12 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

He asked Donald Findlay about the 2500 who turned up on Saturday?

I hope Donald blew smoke in his face, turned and walked away muttering “what a fanny”.

I only caught the end of it but I heard Donald say ‘there were about 500 here on Saturday’ in a thoroughly unimpressed tone. Chick them mumbled something about information he was given and tried to pass it off. How this man gets paid to do that is just unreal.

I'm sure Chick Young's incorrect attendance from Saturday was only mentioned in jest, not as a genuine point. I was only half listening though.

They spent a fair bit of time discussing Cowdenbeath at the start of the program. By which I mean they talked about how Craig Levein's dog seemed to have killed a seagull on the pitch earlier, the fence around the pitch (and how Craig Levein helped put it up?), and about 20 minutes on how narrow the pitch is.

They then moved onto Tierney, the European games and 5 minutes before kick off remembered to read out the list of other league cup games tonight, with no time to actually comment on them.

1 hour ago, EdinburghLivi said:

First time I've heard Stuart McFarlane commentate. He sets the scene very well and has a great voice. Hope to hear more of him this season. 

Is he from rugby stock?

I agree that the commentator was good tonight. Mainly because he actually described what was happening on the pitch.

That shouldn't be too much to ask of a commentator but so many seem to prefer trying to take on the role of analyst themselves, having some banter with the actual analyst/pundit, or simply talking about anything other than the game in front of them.

Edited by Jaggy Snake

1 hour ago, Jaggy Snake said:

I agree that the commentator was good tonight. Mainly because he actually described what was happening on the pitch.

That shouldn't be too much to ask of a commentator but so many seem to prefer trying to take on the role of analyst themselves, have some banter with the actual analyst/pundit, or simply talk about anything other than the game in front of them.

I heard a guy on Saturday that I didn’t recognise, presumably him. I thought that I was listening to a match commentary from the seventies or eighties, as he was describing what was actually happening.  What a difference from Rob McLean, who commentates as if the listener can see what’s happening.

11 hours ago, Jaggy Snake said:

I'm sure Chick Young's incorrect attendance from Saturday was only mentioned in jest, not as a genuine point. I was only half listening though.

Not from what I heard, Donald sounded annoyed and Chick sounded embarrassed, stuttered and tried to move on. They will obviously know each other and it was not a comfortable interaction. I did only catch the end of it so I may be totally misinterpreting.