Sportsound Watch

11 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Don't know.  I've not formed an opinion on it, because I'm ill informed on the subject.  It didn't work well for us last season, but the context is altogether different, so I'm very happy to say I haven't a clue.

You should try it.

Is it because you knew what was coming next by avoiding the question.
When you put the same thinking by reducing the number of clubs in Scottish football to enhance the quality?

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

We're running with a squad of 24 players. An idea that willy finds totally bamboozling and thinks we should have far more than that.

A strange man.

Don't make shit up,I said it would be a big gamble for the saints to maintain their level. 

4 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

It ultimately all comes down to how the finances are spread - and I'm not sure how dominant the two big clubs are in that regard. This is the key to any change in Scottish football.

I guess I believe that Dundee United have more potential to challenge the big two than Livingston or Hamilton. If they appoint well and build gradually then they can be a very successful club again. But they're where they are on merit, and it really is as simple as that.

If you're looking at Dundee United as adding value to the tv deal/interest in Scottish football outside of our own borders, then it is the Dundee derby that provides that as opposed to any potential top 6 push they might be after.

If you're looking at Dundee United as adding value to the tv deal/interest in Scottish football outside of our own borders, then it is the Dundee derby that provides that as opposed to any potential top 6 push they might be after.
No I don't think any team out with the big two make any great difference to the TV deal. That's a false argument.

I'm talking about having the potential to challenge the top two. 10-15 years ago Dundee United were right up there, they have that potential.

9 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

No I don't think any team out with the big two make any great difference to the TV deal. That's a false argument.

I'm talking about having the potential to challenge the top two. 10-15 years ago Dundee United were right up there, they have that potential.

I don't think they do either.

My point was that if they did, the value to the tv companies would be in the Dundee derby, which contains irony given it is taking place next season in the championship.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

We're running with a squad of 24 players. An idea that willy finds totally bamboozling and thinks we should have far more than that.

A strange man.

We currently have a first team squad of 25. I expect a couple more in and a couple more out. Quite a few of them are under 21's. We have a bigger budget than St Johnstone.

Not quite sure what Willy is getting excited about. Then again, I never am.

Willy logic.

More players which means statistically a better chance of getting someone with better footballing ability because its all about footballing ability and nothing to do with money but if I have a squad of 40 players I need to pay more wages but then i have more players which means statistically a better chance of getting someone with better footballing ability because its all about footballing ability and nothing to do with money but if I have a squad of 40 players I need to pay more wages but then i have more players which means statistically a better chance of getting someone with better footballing ability because its all about footballing ability and nothing to do with money but if I have a squad of 40 players I need to pay more wages but then i have more players which means statistically a better chance of getting someone with better footballing ability because its all about footballing ability and nothing to do with money but if I have a squad of 40 players I need to pay more wages but then i have more players which means statistically a better chance of getting someone with better footballing ability because its all about footballing ability and nothing to do with money but if I have a squad of 40 players I need to pay more wages but then i have more players which means statistically a better chance of getting someone with better footballing ability because its all about footballing ability and nothing to do with money but if I have a squad of 40 players I need to pay more wages but then i have more players which means statistically a better chance of getting someone with better footballing ability because its all about footballing ability and nothing to do with money but if I have a squad of 40 players I need to pay more wages but then i have more players which means statistically a better chance of getting someone with better footballing ability because its all about footballing ability and nothing to do with money but if I have a squad of 40 players I need to pay more wages but then i have more players which means statistically a better chance of getting someone with better footballing ability because its all about footballing ability and nothing to do with money but if I have a squad of 40 players I need to pay more wages but then i have more players which means statistically a better chance of getting someone with better footballing ability because its all about footballing ability and nothing to do with money but if I have a squad of 40 players I need to pay more wages but then i have more players 

etc

23 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Willy logic.

More players which means statistically a better chance of getting someone with better footballing ability because its all about footballing ability and nothing to do with money but if I have a squad of 40 players I need to pay more wages but then i have more players which means statistically a better chance of getting someone with better footballing ability because its all about footballing ability and nothing to do with money but if I have a squad of 40 players I need to pay more wages but then i have more players which means statistically a better chance of getting someone with better footballing ability because its all about footballing ability and nothing to do with money but if I have a squad of 40 players I need to pay more wages but then i have more players which means statistically a better chance of getting someone with better footballing ability because its all about footballing ability and nothing to do with money but if I have a squad of 40 players I need to pay more wages but then i have more players which means statistically a better chance of getting someone with better footballing ability because its all about footballing ability and nothing to do with money but if I have a squad of 40 players I need to pay more wages but then i have more players which means statistically a better chance of getting someone with better footballing ability because its all about footballing ability and nothing to do with money but if I have a squad of 40 players I need to pay more wages but then i have more players which means statistically a better chance of getting someone with better footballing ability because its all about footballing ability and nothing to do with money but if I have a squad of 40 players I need to pay more wages but then i have more players which means statistically a better chance of getting someone with better footballing ability because its all about footballing ability and nothing to do with money but if I have a squad of 40 players I need to pay more wages but then i have more players which means statistically a better chance of getting someone with better footballing ability because its all about footballing ability and nothing to do with money but if I have a squad of 40 players I need to pay more wages but then i have more players which means statistically a better chance of getting someone with better footballing ability because its all about footballing ability and nothing to do with money but if I have a squad of 40 players I need to pay more wages but then i have more players 

etc

Well when you put it like that...

I guess I believe that Dundee United have more potential to challenge the big two than Livingston or Hamilton. If they appoint well and build gradually then they can be a very successful club again. But they're where they are on merit, and it really is as simple as that.

Which is a specious point of view TBH. Before the 80s (maybe late 70s) Dundee United we’re “nobodies” in terms of trophy history (no putting them down just reminding people of history.
Next thing will be arguing Dumbarton should be in the top league as they were champions and challengers in the past.

I hope you can see where I’m coming from with this?

53 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Willy logic.

etc

You forgot to mention Celtic's fabled will to win. That's more important than money and footballing ability put together.

Which is a specious point of view TBH. Before the 80s (maybe late 70s) Dundee United we’re “nobodies” in terms of trophy history (no putting them down just reminding people of history.
Next thing will be arguing Dumbarton should be in the top league as they were champions and challengers in the past.

I hope you can see where I’m coming from with this?
I can but it's not like all clubs are the same size. They don't lose that potential in a few years.

It's a bit like if Steve Clarke had taken over at hearts, Hibs, or Aberdeen - I think he'd possibly have got closer to properly challenging (and that's not a dig at Killie either, but I see them more like a Motherwell type club rather than one of the bigger challengers).

Every now and then you get a massive transformation in a club but most of the time there's a limit to how far a good manager can push them (or a good core of young players coming through, whatever it maybe).

Dundee United could be a challenger if they can get themselves sorted, in a way that is unlikely from Ross county, livi, Hamilton.

To move up a level on something like a permanent basis, a club needs a sustainable source of a certain level of income. That can't come from a sugar daddy continually ploughing in cash or from relying on player sales. It can only come from the supporters, so to move upwards a club somehow needs to increase their number of supporters or get their supporters to part with more cash on a regular basis.

To move up a level on something like a permanent basis, a club needs a sustainable source of a certain level of income. That can't come from a sugar daddy continually ploughing in cash or from relying on player sales. It can only come from the supporters, so to move upwards a club somehow needs to increase their number of supporters or get their supporters to part with more cash on a regular basis.
St Johnstone.

3 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

True, but even then, any impact would be negligible.  The respective current standings of Dundee United and Livingston will simply not matter in terms of a TV deal.  

3 hours ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Is it because you knew what was coming next by avoiding the question.
When you put the same thinking by reducing the number of clubs in Scottish football to enhance the quality?

What, seriously what, the Hell are you on about?

I had no idea what was coming next.  I've long since given up on any quest to find logic or coherence in your arguments?

Utterly senseless pish.