Sportsound Watch

12 hours ago, tarapoa said:

John Hughes wants an expanded top flight, because “we need Dundee United and all these teams in the top division”.

The problem isn’t John Hughes saying this, it’s that no one else is willing or able to come out and tear him to shreds over it. When that happens it gives his comments an air of credibility, and it gets repeated by idiots as a valid opinion to hold. If someone on the panel was able to nip it in the bud and make Hughes look like the fool he is then it will stop being repeated. 

The scary thing is that the other pundits probably agree with him. 

Also a continuation of the theme that killie have taken a massive risk, with Hughes saying he thinks the Scottish jobs should go to Scottish lads, then promptly says he attempted to get a job in England. Then Leanne Crichton saying there has been so much change at killie with the whole backroad team, with the exception of Dyer, will be different. When all of Clarke’s backroom staff is staying. From the last game of the season only Mulumbu and Bachman will be gone, and Clarke obviously.

Guest Moomintroll
The problem isn’t John Hughes saying this, it’s that no one else is willing or able to come out and tear him to shreds over it. When that happens it gives his comments an air of credibility, and it gets repeated by idiots as a valid opinion to hold. If someone on the panel was able to nip it in the bud and make Hughes look like the fool he is then it will stop being repeated. 
Ach leave Yogi alone, he's a guid honest laddie.

Guest Moomintroll
Ach leave Yogi alone, he's a guid honest laddie.
(Obviously do not, he is a monumental cretin undoubtedly destined for an SFA staff position in the near future. Think about that, people).

John Hughes with another corker yesterday. David Currie prompting him on Jason Kerr, Yogi replies:

"The star of the show for me, it was the winger from, err, his name escapes me, the winger who was on loan from, did he play left wing and always come in on the right foot, err, I forget his name David but he looked, err, he was on loan from one of the English clubs, he looked a real good player every time at St Johnstone. So Tommy's very canny in his recruitment at getting players in on loan."

Assuming he is actually thinking of Saints then I guess he means Matty Kennedy, who wasn't on loan. 

Guest JTS98

Hughes also seems to be under the impression that Jim Goodwin is a young Scottish manager.

Mind you, the worst part of Sportsound this week was Currie using the phrase 'Stevie G' in his intro to the show.

Just f*ck off and change the name to Radio Clyde.

Edited by JTS98

Also a continuation of the theme that killie have taken a massive risk, with Hughes saying he thinks the Scottish jobs should go to Scottish lads, then promptly says he attempted to get a job in England. Then Leanne Crichton saying there has been so much change at killie with the whole backroad team, with the exception of Dyer, will be different. When all of Clarke’s backroom staff is staying. From the last game of the season only Mulumbu and Bachman will be gone, and Clarke obviously.

Had a wee snot bubble when Hughs suggested that Killie would struggle with the new managers lack of English. Pot/kettle.

John Hughes with another corker yesterday. David Currie prompting him on Jason Kerr, Yogi replies:
"The star of the show for me, it was the winger from, err, his name escapes me, the winger who was on loan from, did he play left wing and always come in on the right foot, err, I forget his name David but he looked, err, he was on loan from one of the English clubs, he looked a real good player every time at St Johnstone. So Tommy's very canny in his recruitment at getting players in on loan."
Assuming he is actually thinking of Saints then I guess he means Matty Kennedy, who wasn't on loan. 
Aye, had a wee chuckle at this. Hughes is not only a buffoon but actually a racist given his comments on the new Killie manager. The fact he gets away with all this unchallenged by Currie or anyone else is actually a disgrace given they are ultimately being paid by us.

Hughes also seems to be under the impression that Jim Goodwin is a young Scottish manager.
Mind you, the worst part of Sportsound this week was Currie using the phrase 'Stevie G' in his intro to the show.
Just f*ck off and change the name to Radio Clyde.
How many times did he tell us Jim was "on the cochun course " [emoji1]

On 30/06/2019 at 03:55, IrishBhoy said:

Yes, this is precisely the point.

Not only does Hughes wander away afterwards thinking he has some worthwhile opinions, but plenty of the audience will share that view and will indeed share his bone headed perspective, as if it somehow has worth.

The nodding along of the panel permits this and is more disgraceful than Hughes himself.  First against the wall however, must surely be the person who sees fit to give him the platform in the first place.

8 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, this is precisely the point.

Not only does Hughes wander away afterwards thinking he has some worthwhile opinions, but plenty of the audience will share that view and will indeed share his bone headed perspective, as if it somehow has worth.

The nodding along of the panel permits this and is more disgraceful than Hughes himself.  First against the wall however, must surely be the person who sees fit to give him the platform in the first place.

I don't mind people having the opinion that we need the big clubs in the division, even though I disagree with it wholeheartedly.

The problem is that it's become such a lazy opinion that no one ever digs a bit deeper into it. Why do you want that? To what end? Is it just to get a slightly bigger tv deal? Is that such a great thing, how is that money distributed, how is it spent, how does it affect the match going fan handing over more control of scheduling to the tv companies, does it really improve the quality of football on the pitch, what is wrong with more exposure being given to the lower leagues?

Nobody ever supports this opinion with a detailed answer, other than some very vague answer about investment in the game.

Edited by Dons_1988

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

I don't mind people having the opinion that we need the big clubs in the division, even though I disagree with it wholeheartedly.

The problem is that it's become such a lazy opinion that no one ever digs a bit deeper into it. Why do you want that? To what end? Is it just to get a slightly bigger tv deal? Is that such a great thing, how is that money distributed, how is it spent, how does it affect the match going fan handing over more control of scheduling to the tv companies, does it really improve the quality of football on the pitch, what is wrong with more exposure being given to the lower leagues?

Nobody ever supports this opinion with a detailed answer, other than some very vague answer about investment in the game.

Correct.

The TV deal is the most frequently trotted out idea, as if the top flight presence of Dundee United would make the slightest difference to that anyway.

The worst example of it in my book, came not from an ex-player, but from Keith Jackson.  I think it was when Rangers and the Edinburgh sides were all in the second tier.  He said "What we need is all the clubs punching at their weight".  There wasn't the slightest ripple of dissent from the panel towards an opinion that basically said football outcomes should all ideally be entirely predetermined.

It's this laziness that is so rarely challenged, and is infuriating.

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Correct.

The TV deal is the most frequently trotted out idea, as if the top flight presence of Dundee United would make the slightest difference to that anyway.

The worst example of it in my book, came not from an ex-player, but from Keith Jackson.  I think it was when Rangers and the Edinburgh sides were all in the second tier.  He said "What we need is all the clubs punching at their weight".  There wasn't the slightest ripple of dissent from the panel towards an opinion that basically said football outcomes should all ideally be entirely predetermined.

Your always banging on about the haves and the have nots Money tennis,the inequality in Scottish football point the finger claptrap.
Never have you posted anything of a positive nature or any answer to the mince you post.
Your quintessential one-dimensional thinking over and over again the definition of insanity.

Just now, wastecoatwilly said:

Do you agree with Tommy wright in cutting the numbers of his squad to try to have more quality than quantity? 

Don't know.  I've not formed an opinion on it, because I'm ill informed on the subject.  It didn't work well for us last season, but the context is altogether different, so I'm very happy to say I haven't a clue.

You should try it.

9 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Do you agree with Tommy wright in cutting the numbers of his squad to try to have more quality than quantity? 

7 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Don't know.  I've not formed an opinion on it, because I'm ill informed on the subject.  It didn't work well for us last season, but the context is altogether different, so I'm very happy to say I haven't a clue.

You should try it.

We're running with a squad of 24 players. An idea that willy finds totally bamboozling and thinks we should have far more than that.

A strange man.

Correct.
It ultimately all comes down to how the finances are spread - and I'm not sure how dominant the two big clubs are in that regard. This is the key to any change in Scottish football.

I guess I believe that Dundee United have more potential to challenge the big two than Livingston or Hamilton. If they appoint well and build gradually then they can be a very successful club again. But they're where they are on merit, and it really is as simple as that.