Sportsound Watch

What’s far more annoying than calling the Premiership the SPL is calling League One ‘Division One’ or ‘the First Division’ as Hughes did yesterday. At least when they say SPL they’re using an old name for the same tier, rather than using the old name for the second tier to talk about the third.

On Hughes, enjoyed him trotting out the ‘Dundee needs two top flight clubs’ cliche yesterday, and adding that cities like Glasgow & Edinburgh also need two. What is the negative impact any of these cities have suffered in seasons where they only had one top flight club, or even none? Can someone explain how Aberdeen has survived as a city without ever having two?

Is Dundee going to face some kind of existential threat in the entirely realistic scenario of having no top flight clubs next season? People have to be warned.

Referring to the SPL is quite simply wrong. It's not just a case of using a different name because it sounds similar. The SPL was a separate entity that ceased to exist in 2013. These guys are supposed experts paid to speak knowledgeably about Scottish football yet they can't even get the organisation right. It's not too much to expect. 
That's not quite accurate. Unlike Rangers and Sevco, The SPFL and SPL are the same Entity, just with a name change and more shares.

Peter Houston is horribly thick and horribly ignorant.

First of all he seems to genuinely think that the playoff format in the English Leagues is the same as the one used between the bottom 3 tiers in Scotland.

He still calls the Premiership the 'Preemeyurship'.

He then said that he thinks Inverness will not come down to Ayr to just keep it tight and take a draw back to Inverness whereas Ayr will do the same. His (attempt at) words.

The commentator at the Ayr vs Inverness game has stated that 'away goals don't count'.

That will be a disappointment to Inverness, given they've just scored one, only to find out it doesn't count.

So it's still 0-0 presumably.

2 hours ago, lionel wickson said:

Maybe you should post that in the "Sportscene" thread, rather than the "Sportsound" one?

No one else has noticed, I think I got away with that one.

The commentator at the Ayr vs Inverness game has stated that 'away goals don't count'.
That will be a disappointment to Inverness, given they've just scored one, only to find out it doesn't count.
I really enjoy your commitment to this. Before when people would say that away goals didn't count I'd be fine with it as everybody knows what it means, but your desire to end this has won me over!

Just now, LoonsYouthTeam said:
3 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

I really enjoy your commitment to this. Before when people would say that away goals didn't count I'd be fine with it as everybody knows what it means, but your desire to end this has won me over!

Good man!

I make no apologies for my pedantry on this issue. 

1 minute ago, LoonsYouthTeam said:
3 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:
Good man!
I make no apologies for my pedantry on this issue. 

What annoys me more is that people still ask this question about the playoffs

Aye, me as well. They've been on the go for years now and still folk don't get how they work.

Furthermore I can't think of a single example across world football where there has ever been an away goal rule in a domestic game. It's very bizarre to think there would be such a rule in the playoffs in Scotland. Why would anyone even think there could be?

10 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Furthermore I can't think of a single example across world football where there has ever been an away goal rule in a domestic game.

Eh? Loads of domestic competitions use the away goals rule.

Just off the top of my head, the English League Cup uses, the Copa Del Rey uses the away goals rule, the Spanish Supercup (until this year when it moved to a single game format), the Bundesliga relegation play-off, the MLS play-offs (until this year, when they moved to a single game format).

I suspect there are tons more.

40 minutes ago, Darren said:

Great news, everyone.

That;'s got "sabbatical" written all over it.  He'll be back in a few months with a tan, presenting lower league games with the screen presence of Ken Bigley.

23 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Eh? Loads of domestic competitions use the away goals rule.

Just off the top of my head, the English League Cup uses, the Copa Del Rey uses the away goals rule, the Spanish Supercup (until this year when it moved to a single game format), the Bundesliga relegation play-off, the MLS play-offs (until this year, when they moved to a single game format).

I suspect there are tons more.

Never knew about them.

It's certainly never been used in Scottish football, and the English League Cup one is a unique example. The MLS have got rid of the away goal rule in their play offs.

The examples you quote do appear to be exceptions. Not sure why anyone would think the Scottish playoffs use them.

Never knew about them.
It's certainly never been used in Scottish football, and the English League Cup one is a unique example. The MLS have got rid of the away goal rule in their play offs.
The examples you quote do appear to be exceptions. Not sure why anyone would think the Scottish playoffs use them.
They're not the exceptions - they're literally the only two-legged domestic competitions I looked up.