Sportsound Watch

Watched the Dundee V Hamilton game on BBC Alba earlier. The amount of times the camera zooms in on a players face or shows multiple replays of an incident while the play goes on for 20/30 seconds is unreal. There was a point today Dundee got a free kick just inside their own half and they showed 3 replays of the foul, by the time they went back to game the Hamilton keeper had the ball in his hands. 

Honestly........John Hughes.....whilst I have very faint feelings of squidgy niceness towards the man from his days at Hibs, whenever he comes on the radio (at the moment, every fücking week [emoji35]), my heart sinks and my blood pressure heads skywards.
Must he always smash a box of Maltesers into his gub before speaking into the microphone.
Along with Tam Cowan, another ear-assault merchant.

On 03/05/2019 at 12:55, wastecoatwilly said:

It's been a interesting debate for a subject that has always been brushed under the carpet.
I accept that Jinky was his own worst enemy and Murdoch had weight issues plus there was better players than Craig and Auld in the Scotland team at that time.
For Cesar,Gemmell,Lennox and Chalmers I still have my doubts on institutional bias.
Clark and Cesar never played together in a Scotland jersey and Wallace left hearts in 66, less than a year later he had won every club competition.
This thread is for slagging off pundits on the show instead of debating the issues on the show, my bad.

Surely they would have had a jersey each? Or was the anti Celtic bias that bad they had to share jerseys?

Surely they would have had a jersey each? Or was the anti Celtic bias that bad they had to share jerseys?
Jimmy Bell stole the Celtic players' jerseys IMO.

John Hughes and Jim Duffy referring to the Premiership as 'the SPL' numerous times and not once being corrected.
I think the fact you get so wound up about stuff like this says more about you than him. Let it go.

I think the fact you get so wound up about stuff like this says more about you than him. Let it go.

That’s kind of my thoughts. For all of the ills of Scottish football broadcasting, I have no idea why this one causes so much anger.

17 hours ago, EdinburghLivi said:

Couldn't believe what I was listening to. McCann has some brass neck.

16 hours ago, Dele said:

McCann was absolutely spot on. 

As much as McCann lost it a wee but,  he's right to say that Mcintyre should come out and speak his mind, rather than  start to something then stop short.

I hope it escalates. 

Edited by paranoid android

6 minutes ago, pandarilla said:
10 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:
John Hughes and Jim Duffy referring to the Premiership as 'the SPL' numerous times and not once being corrected.

Genuinely bewildered why you think posting a comment means someone is wound up. Can you explain this?

3 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

That’s kind of my thoughts. For all of the ills of Scottish football broadcasting, I have no idea why this one causes so much anger.

Who is angry about it? Can you point out any examples?

Referring to the SPL is quite simply wrong. It's not just a case of using a different name because it sounds similar. The SPL was a separate entity that ceased to exist in 2013. These guys are supposed experts paid to speak knowledgeably about Scottish football yet they can't even get the organisation right. It's not too much to expect. 

3 hours ago, pandarilla said:
3 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

I'm with DA Baracus here. If 2 of the leading lights of the management/punditry fraternity can't get the name of the top flight right - or get pulled up for getting it wrong - it's a poor show.

I suppose it's not as bad as calling it the "SPFL".

Personally, calling the four divisions Division One, Division Two, Division Three and Division Four would be perfectly adequate.

Edited by Jacksgranda
grandma

29 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
44 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:
Who is angry about it? Can you point out any examples?

Lets be fair and honest now, it undoubtedly gets you a bit angry. Maybe not superfluous apostrophe angry, but yer bloods up a wee touch.

Boring. Any thoughts of your own on the matter?

Your're going off in a tangent here,Miller and McLeish got about 140 caps between them more than the whole Lisbon lions team.
For a team to have won so many trophies and having success on the European stage,the total of caps is shocking.

I know Willie and Eck should have had many more...

On 03/05/2019 at 10:50, The Mantis said:

To me it's more about Stein, taking a decent squad of players beyond what was deemed possible. I'd like to have seen what Stein could have done with the Rangers squad of 1966-7 (or even Dunfermline or Killie). With a charisma-free manager in Scot Simon, Rangers ran Celtic close in the league and reached a European Final. But Celtic were almost invincible with a mental toughness which hints at a brilliant team rather than brilliant players.  Maybe playing the whole Celtic XI for Scotland would have worked, but not taking individuals out of it. As others have said, Scotland had an embarrassment of riches back then.

The Jinky-Henderson debate rumbles on. But for me, Henderson was a better, pacier, more effective winger. Jinky was more skilful, certainly. Useful to demoralise the opposition and give the others a rest. But there's a clip that's often shown where Jinky turns Davie Provan inside out about 5 times. But he's back where he started, and the Rangers defence are all in position, including Provan. Henderson would have been to the byeline and crossed.

Jock Stein favoured McKinnon over McNeil against Italy in 1965 due to the former being quicker !

Scotland did have more , great players in the sixties eg Greig , Baxter ,  Henderson , MacKay , Bremner , Law , Gilzean etc  so some Lisbon Lions would not be first choices

Remember also there was an agenda against '' Anglos ''