Sportsound Watch

He's a harbourer of the notion that there's some kind of masonic refereeing conspiracy against Celtic.  A conspiracy that has seen them win the last 7 trophies (including league titles) in a row.

He's a harbourer of the notion that there's some kind of masonic refereeing conspiracy against Celtic.  A conspiracy that has seen them win the last 7 trophies (including league titles) in a row.

He also has put forward the view that other teams don’t win the league because they don’t want it as much as Celtic, rather than anything else, and can’t understand why other teams don’t emulate Celtic’s groundbreaking transfer policy.

All in all, I’d say that’s sufficient to ignore everything he ever says.

12 hours ago, Tartantony said:

Notice a lot of comments saying there were a lot less international games back then. Looks to me like there were roughly the same amount of international games. A quick Google check shows 75 Scotland games from 65 - 74 (9 in a row period) and from 2009 - 2018, most recent completed 9 year period there were 83 Scotland games. 8 extra games over 9 years doesn't seem to suggest a lot less internationals back then. Am I missing something obvious?

The low amount of caps does seem strange given Celtic won 9 league titles and numerous cups in one of the best leagues in europe and made 2 finals, 2 semi finals and 2 QFs in the EC. The quality available at that time must've been unreal. Its interesting reading different viewpoints on the matter, I had always assumed bias as the reason but then that's what I was told growing up.

Slightly less games with a much better pool of players I'd imagine. Surely couldn't bring on 7 subs or whatever it is in a friendly if you wanted to as well.

Edited by Merkland Red
Didn't notice the time frame.

56 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

He also has put forward the view that other teams don’t win the league because they don’t want it as much as Celtic, rather than anything else, and can’t understand why other teams don’t emulate Celtic’s groundbreaking transfer policy.

"Better football knowledge."

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

Genuinely unsure whether you're talking about willie or pat bonnar. 

1 hour ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

While completely unable or unwilling to apply the same reasoning to Celtic's abject failures in Europe.

To me it's more about Stein, taking a decent squad of players beyond what was deemed possible. I'd like to have seen what Stein could have done with the Rangers squad of 1966-7 (or even Dunfermline or Killie). With a charisma-free manager in Scot Simon, Rangers ran Celtic close in the league and reached a European Final. But Celtic were almost invincible with a mental toughness which hints at a brilliant team rather than brilliant players.  Maybe playing the whole Celtic XI for Scotland would have worked, but not taking individuals out of it. As others have said, Scotland had an embarrassment of riches back then.

The Jinky-Henderson debate rumbles on. But for me, Henderson was a better, pacier, more effective winger. Jinky was more skilful, certainly. Useful to demoralise the opposition and give the others a rest. But there's a clip that's often shown where Jinky turns Davie Provan inside out about 5 times. But he's back where he started, and the Rangers defence are all in position, including Provan. Henderson would have been to the byeline and crossed.

3 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

No shock to see Willy lying again.

2 hours ago, TheScarf said:

2 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

1 hour ago, nsr said:

While completely unable or unwilling to apply the same reasoning to Celtic's abject failures in Europe.

Making up shit is another great quality of P&B posters.

It's been a interesting debate for a subject that has always been brushed under the carpet.
I accept that Jinky was his own worst enemy and Murdoch had weight issues plus there was better players than Craig and Auld in the Scotland team at that time.
For Cesar,Gemmell,Lennox and Chalmers I still have my doubts on institutional bias.
Clark and Cesar never played together in a Scotland jersey and Wallace left hearts in 66, less than a year later he had won every club competition.
This thread is for slagging off pundits on the show instead of debating the issues on the show, my bad.

Edited by wastecoatwilly

Again Stein didn't pick the team a select committee did, he was only there on a part-time basis.
Henderson was also picked in front of Jinky.
The booing of Celtic players went on up in til the 80's I remember Brain McClair getting the treatment.
Probably mentioned in between your first post and now but McClair wasn't very good at international level.

29 minutes ago, Loonytoons said:
21 hours ago, wastecoatwilly said:
Again Stein didn't pick the team a select committee did, he was only there on a part-time basis.
Henderson was also picked in front of Jinky.
The booing of Celtic players went on up in til the 80's I remember Brain McClair getting the treatment.

Probably mentioned in between your first post and now but McClair wasn't very good at international level.

the only goal I can remember McClair scoring for Scotland was in euro 92 v the CIS and even then it was a shot that came back off the post hit the keeper and went in......either than im drunk earlier than usual tonight.

the only goal I can remember McClair scoring for Scotland was in euro 92 v the CIS and even then it was a shot that came back off the post hit the keeper and went in......either than im drunk earlier than usual tonight.
He scored another one immediately after, at Pittodrie versus Malta (?) And that was that. Donkey.

They asked the "pundits/experts"  tonight to predict tomorrows games.Scott McDonald onHearts v Killie said it would be same as last game at that venue between the teams 0-0.the result was 0-1 in Killie's favour last time. McDonald then went on to say it hadn't been a boring draw as he had been at the game and it was very entertaining. Surely a producer or someone would have a note of the previous meetings between the teams which were all 1-0 results in favour of the away team?

McCann sounded both furious and insane today, appears to be very confrontational and egotistical.

In the preceding interview, Jim McIntyre commented on the last 3 Dundee managers' lack of success with recruitment, in what seemed to me a very objective way that identified a pattern over time. McCann was beelin', taking the general big picture entirely personally as a specific jibe.

Also totally deluded in his own assessment of his abilities, and claims that he would have kept them up [if he hadn't been sacked [for his appalling record and performance]].

Still, he'd have been happy for Scott Bain, continuing his meteoric trajectory and collecting another summer's medal today.