Sportsound Watch

22 hours ago, TheScarf said:

It's a recurring theme with Scottish football pundits. 

Small clubs who gain promotion or stave off relegation with a manager should be rewarding him with a statue outside their ground according to them. 

It's like these clubs aren't allowed to sack anyone because they did one good thing so now anything shite after that can be disregarded.  They stop short of saying (but are clearly thinking it) 'how fucking dare you sack him, look what he did for your pish wee club nobody cares about. You should be lucky any c**t wants to manage you and pipe down'. 

I've noticed before, in a similar vein, how they go through periods where they become extremely big on one person and fight their corner constantly.  There were pundits who couldn't understand why Barry Ferguson wasn't in the running for the Rangers job, despite being mediocre at best at Clyde.  There were calls for Paul Hartley to get the Hearts job - *after* the debacle he ran into as Dundee manager.  It's just so cliquey.  By the same token, they couldn't understand why John Hughes got the boot at Caley Thistle and Jim McIntyre got it at Ross County, despite the reason being pretty well known ("But but but...they won cups!").

Edited by Highland Capital

6 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

I've noticed before, in a similar vein, how they go through periods where they become extremely big on one person and fight their corner constantly.  There were pundits who couldn't understand why Barry Ferguson wasn't in the running for the Rangers job, despite being mediocre at best at Clyde.  There were calls for Paul Hartley to get the Hearts job - *after* the debacle he ran into as Dundee manager.  It's just so cliquey.  By the same token, they couldn't understand why John Hughes got the boot at Caley Thistle and Jim McIntyre got it at Ross County, despite the reason being pretty well known ("But but but...they won cups!").

It's because guys like Hartley and Hughes are friends with these pundits/ex-pros.  They want and need their mate in work.  It's very cliquey and jobs-for-the-boys like you say.

The constant, spine-curling cringiness of Chick Young begging Kilmarnock to give the job full time to Lee McCulloch was soul destroying.

Now, LM had done a decent job as caretaker IIRC, and to be fair to him he was mightily embarrassed by it, but it was so poorly done.

Turns out the KFC board were right to be wary! I wonder if the pitch is still drawn on the dressing room floor...

The constant, spine-curling cringiness of Chick Young begging Kilmarnock to give the job full time to Lee McCulloch was soul destroying.
Now, LM had done a decent job as caretaker IIRC, and to be fair to him he was mightily embarrassed by it, but it was so poorly done.
Turns out the KFC board were right to be wary! I wonder if the pitch is still drawn on the dressing room floor...
Same guy who wanted Jim Duffy for Scotland? He really is a wee fanny.

The wanking over teams and managers etc is a constant theme. It was Goodwin and Alloa a few weeks ago. Whilst both Goodwin and Alloa deserve a fair bit of credit as they look to take a relegation battle down to the wire, its always way over the top. Always like its some hot take that they are revealing to their hitherto unaware listeners that Jim Goodwin has his team doing ok....

Naw, ya wee fanny. We all know that already.

3 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

In a similar vein, they pretty much interviewed Kenny Sheils for the Motherwell job live on air a couple of seasons ago. It was a very weird listen.

18 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

In a similar vein, they pretty much interviewed Kenny Sheils for the Motherwell job live on air a couple of seasons ago. It was a very weird listen.

Would have been a great appointment tbf.

They just assumed that the crowd would be that large due to what Hearts average for league games.

I was surprised at how big the crowd was, especially since in the last round against Livingston the crowd was down by a few thousand.

They simply assume that certain clubs get big crowds in all their games.

Edited by DA Baracus

2 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

They just assumed that the crowd would be that large due to what Hearts average for league games.

I was surprised at how big the crowd was, especially since in the last round against Livingston the crowd was down by a few thousand.

They simply assume that certain clubs get big crowds in all their games.

I was quite surprised the attendance was 11,000 in the previous round given the notoriously poor following Livingston bring, plus the fact it was on TV.

Based on that, I'd have guessed about 13,000 for Sunday due to the bigger away crowd, novelty factor, later round and no TV.

Craig Levein was happy with the 15,000, anyway.

The guests on Sportsound get a regular hammering on here, so I thought that I would try to redress the balance a little. I’ve heard Leanne Crichton on the show a number of times now, and, to me, she always talks sense and has a balanced view of the issues of the day. Unlike Neil Alexander last night, who admitted that Alan McGregor is a very good mate, and then proceeded to tell us that Alan wouldn’t do anything to intentionally hurt a player.

59 minutes ago, Steve McQueen said:

I was shocked that Peter Houston seems to be the only one that knows a reckless challenge is a yellow card.

Houston stated that there are too many citations - and then they all mentioned the fact that all the exposure to TV was causing this, as if it was a bad thing.

Nowhere did they state, "if the player didn't do it in the fkin first place, there'd be no case to answer"......

1 minute ago, Have some faith in Magic said:

Kris Commons talking about consistency tonight.  

It would be a breakthrough if he could consistent throughout a single sentence. Waffling pish. 

Socking it to Sevco tho, those sevconians won't know what's hit them.

Regarding the Sevco statement, Ian McCall, unprompted, was right in there with "THIS ISN'T ABOUT THE OLD FIRM!!! THIS IS FOR THE GOOD OF SCOTTISH FOOTBALL!!!!!".

They then all fell over themselves to defend Allan McGregor, despite them agreeing it was a red card. Apparently he didn't mean it as there was 'no intent', he was 'protecting himself' and 'a two game ban is too much'

The show should have started with a solid minute of laughter over the latest crayon scrawl that passes as a Sevco statement.

Edited by DA Baracus

Just now, DA Baracus said:

Ian McCall, unprompted, right in there with "THIS ISN'T ABOUT TUE OLD FIRM!!! THIS IS FOR THE GOOD OF SCOTTISH FOOTBALL!!!!!".

They then all fell over themselves to defend Allan McGregor, despite them agreeing it was a red card. Apparently he didn't mean it as there was 'no intent', he was 'protecting himself' and 'a two game ban is too much'

The show should have started with a solid minute of laughter over the latest crayon scrawl that passes as a Sevco statement.

So much anger in one post, you really need to get help if you think that the BBC are pro Sevco...