Sportsound Watch

there are reasons to criticise Sportsound, and some not, such as Michael Stewart, Richard Gordon, Willie Miller, Steven Thompson, but good gawd, 5 Live is unlistenable pap in comparison to Sportsound. Yes there's Alan Preston, Bonner, Chico, and Derek Ferguson, but at least our commentators can go 90 minutes without a chageover. What exactly is so demanding that SAlan Green and the other boy have to swap over at half time in every match? You're talking about a fitba game, it's been a one man job since forever, now apparently in guffland it needs a half time sub. Fucking hell, glad I stopped paying for a TV licence, robbing b*****ds 
I think by not paying the license, it's you that's the robbing b*****d.

It's very easy to identify who the Aberdeen fans are on this thread, even if you're on mobile, because they're the only ones who don't think that Willie Miller is an atrocious pundit and a generally slavering mess of a man.

I’m maybe in the minority of Aberdeen fans who think Willie Miller is pretty gash as a pundit. But he is. And on Open All Mics, you get nothing from him - admittedly this is better than listening to Chico cracking one off whenever there’s so much as a strike at goal on the match he’s covering.

Willie should stick to discussing the technical aspects of the game, which he’s not too bad at, rather than this “x club is a big club and should be in the top league” pish.

Slavering mess is a bit harsh though

1 hour ago, McDanger27 said:

Slavering mess is a bit harsh though

He isn’t always, but he definitely turns into one when Aberdeen are struggling to break down a team.

His toys out the pram commentary for the 0-0 at Firhill recently was top notch slavering.

2 hours ago, fatshaft said:

there are reasons to criticise Sportsound, and some not, such as Michael Stewart, Richard Gordon, Willie Miller, Steven Thompson, but good gawd, 5 Live is unlistenable pap in comparison to Sportsound. Yes there's Alan Preston, Bonner, Chico, and Derek Ferguson, but at least our commentators can go 90 minutes without a chageover. What exactly is so demanding that SAlan Green and the other boy have to swap over at half time in every match? You're talking about a fitba game, it's been a one man job since forever, now apparently in guffland it needs a half time sub. Fucking hell, glad I stopped paying for a TV licence, robbing b*****ds 

Haven't listened to a game on 5 live for ages. They used to switch during each half?

26 minutes ago, Steve McQueen said:

Haven't listened to a game on 5 live for ages. They used to switch during each half?

Maybe that then, can;t remember when I last had it on, it's usually when driving on the M6 before I can switch to radio Scotland (if it's a weekend). Anyway, they need two commentators in shifts, I imagine cos the guff premier league is so amazing and magical, mere commentators can't handle it :rolleyes:

53 minutes ago, Steve McQueen said:

Didn't they switch half-way thru each half at one point? I have memories of such.

f**k knows why they did tho.

Edit: Guardian article when they stopped it for reasons of cost-cutting back in 2011.

"There is no reason why one person cannot commentate for the whole game," said a Radio 5 Live source.

"It's a historic thing – the way the BBC has always done it – but it is also expensive, especially if the game is coming from Moscow."

Radio 5 Live has used two commentators – they currently swap over in the middle of each half alongside a summariser who covers the entire match – since it began broadcasting in 1990...

A Radio 5 Live spokesman said: "Radio 5 Live plans to phase out the use of two football commentators on football matches as part of its Delivering Quality First savings. The changes will begin next season and be fully implemented by 2014.

"The use of two commentators has for long been something which has helped define BBC radio's football coverage but we believe the savings achieved by making this change will enable us to continue to offer the high quality coverage 5 Live listeners expect, using an outstanding team of commentators and pundits."

Edited by meanmistermustard

4 hours ago, Jaggy Snake said:

Having some random guy who tweeted the previous night about a league set up that has been discussed many times before was embarrassing but, still not the major issue with the program. I think that can be summed up by:

Host: Kenny Macintyre

Guests: Steven Thompson, Kris Commons, Lee McCulloch and Rab Douglas

Nothing wrong with having former St Mirren, Hibs, Kilmarnock and Dundee players on to give a balanced view.

Spoiler

Image result for what gif

4 hours ago, fatshaft said:

What exactly is so demanding that SAlan Green and the other boy have to swap over at half time in every match?

They don't though and haven't done so for several years. They still do for England games but they certainly don't for run of the mill EPL games.

On 4/10/2018 at 17:52, topcat(The most tip top) said:

I chose Morecambe because they get about as many people turning out to watch on a saturday as Queen of the South and it's relatively isolated. Dumfries is a bit bigger so maybe Grimsby would have been a  better choice. The 17th and 18th in the English League system are Southampton and Crystal Palace  so your method of comparison seems to risk drifting  into further silliness. 

It doesn't matter how many people turn up to watch them; what should matter in terms of coverage is where they are in the national setup. The BBC can argue, quite rightly, that there are 40-odd bigger games for their reporters to cover in England than Morecambe against Grimsby on a Saturday afternoon. Queen of the South against anyone in the Championship is going to be at least in the top dozen games in the country, guaranteed, on any given weekend - just as a Southampton or Crystal Palace game would be in the English top flight. So Sportsound's coverage should be proportionate to that status: given that they have the same if not more airtime on a Saturday and a remit to cover Scotland's national game. 

Scotland is a country with a population of five million people and a glut of graduates in journalism and related subjects - you could pick a dozen people off Buchanan Street that would do a better job of covering events than some of the clowns that Sportsound currently use.  No amount of mewling and laughable claims about places like Dumfries being 'isolated' from the rest of the country will change the fact that its production currently has no standards whatsoever. 

41 minutes ago, virginton said:

It doesn't matter how many people turn up to watch them; what should matter in terms of coverage is where they are in the national setup. The BBC can argue, quite rightly, that there are 40-odd bigger games for their reporters to cover in England than Morecambe against Grimsby on a Saturday afternoon. Queen of the South against anyone in the Championship is going to be at least in the top dozen games in the country, guaranteed, on any given weekend - just as a Southampton or Crystal Palace game would be in the English top flight. So Sportsound's coverage should be proportionate to that status: given that they have the same if not more airtime on a Saturday and a remit to cover Scotland's national game. 

Scotland is a country with a population of five million people and a glut of graduates in journalism and related subjects - you could pick a dozen people off Buchanan Street that would do a better job of covering events than some of the clowns that Sportsound currently use.  No amount of mewling and laughable claims about places like Dumfries being 'isolated' from the rest of the country will change the fact that its production currently has no standards whatsoever. 

You seriously think that Morton v Queens deserves the same coverage as an EPL game?

:lol:

I’m bias but loved the Lambie, Charnley, Collins interview. I wish they’d do more of that with the ‘provincial’ clubs. Banter and stories are great and all fans love listening. Why do we have to listen to Chic Young, Miller,Bonner etc? It’s brutal the chat these guys have week after week.

Allan Preston there saying United are looking to cement their play off place as they look to a straight return to the Premiership. 

Unless I’ve been in a coma I’m fairly certain they were in the Championship last season.

Not one of them know what happens if a team is relegated from League 2, with Richard Gordon actually asking if Cowdenbeath would have to play in the Highland League should Cove go up. Some of them also thought that the Highland League would have to kick a team out if Cove go up as well, with Chic Young claiming that Fort William are worried about being expelled.

Clueless wanks, but I bet they could reel of loads of stats about any Celtic vs Deadco or Sevco match ever 

Not one of them know what happens if a team is relegated from League 2, with Richard Gordon actually asking if Cowdenbeath would have to play in the Highland League should Cove go up. Some of them also thought that the Highland League would have to kick a team out if Cove go up as well, with Chic Young claiming that Fort William are worried about being expelled.
Clueless wanks, but I bet they could reel of loads of stats about any Celtic vs Deadco or Sevco match ever 

I don't know what happens to the team relegated from Division 2, though in my defence I'm not paid to broadcast about Scottish Football

So what does happen?