Sportsound Watch

Broadfoot was a disgrace on his last appearance on Sportsound. He completely dismissed Andy McLaren’s idea that thousands of kids are being priced out of football and that football was becoming a middle class sport. He was incredibly pompous and aloof.

Will listen to the podcast later but I fully expect to be seething at him.

I listened to some of it and thought. 'What's the point?'

If that discussion is what we've come to then it's time to give up.

It's about putting a ball into a net or stopping it getting there. How complicated we have made the game.

Saying that, my team are failing miserably at doing both and no amount of chat about governance, surveys, commissions and reports is going to help that.

1 hour ago, Hammer Jag said:

Broadfoot was a disgrace on his last appearance on Sportsound. He completely dismissed Andy McLaren’s idea that thousands of kids are being priced out of football and that football was becoming a middle class sport. He was incredibly pompous and aloof.

Will listen to the podcast later but I fully expect to be seething at him.

The thing that irritates me about Broadfoot is his utter absence of education and intellect. He carries himself with an entirely unmerited pomposity. His main interest seems to be cock rock from the 1980s for f**k's sake. His opinions are no better formed or thought out than the likes of Chick Young or Kris Boyd. He's the kind of person that tells some audiences that he is working class and others that he's middle class, depending on the reaction he thinks he will get.

Edited by Malcolm Malcolm

Going back to this weekends OAM why was the guy who was reporting from Ibrox louder than everyone else and all cut across everyone else when making comment about substitutions etc. Also he kept saying ‘apparently’ when he was clearly watching the game, what is all that about?

Cringey as f**k bootlicking from Daryl Broadfoot tonight as he tried to utter discredit that survey that said everyone thinks the SFA and SPFL are untrustworthy.
It was a horrible slimy performance from him, full of snidey underhanded comments and delivered in the manner of a snobbish p***k.
What an absolute c**t

Pretty much summed up what’s wrong with our governing body. Academics, proposals, independent reports [emoji42][emoji42][emoji42]. Load of bollocks. The SFA should stop charging fans £40 to watch Scotland play teams like Georgia.

13 hours ago, fatshaft said:

His ranting seemed far too strong and forceful to be any sort of grandstanding, he clearly meant it, and more, he clearly has a huuuuuge grudge against Aberdeen for some reason.

The next Dons v **** match is going to be incredibly interesting. 

The next match was always going to be incredibly interesting.  Don't see how the rantings of a deranged fan makes any difference.

13 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Cringey as f**k bootlicking from Daryl Broadfoot tonight as he tried to utter discredit that survey that said everyone thinks the SFA and SPFL are untrustworthy.

It was a horrible slimy performance from him, full of snidey underhanded comments and delivered in the manner of a snobbish p***k.

What an absolute c**t

Just listened to it.  Take NO pleasure in saying it but Broadfoot came across as a guy very well versed in administration/politics/speaking and made Paul sound like a well meaning amateur.

15 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

What an absolute c**t

Others have said already, but that was a horrific defensive performance attempting to ridicule the guy from SFSA throughout and refusing to accept anything was wrong as "the fans would always have a poor opinion of a governing body". 

He's been on before and always seemed to talk a good game, here he was for the first time being asked to defend his organisation, and boy did he try, and fail, really badly. 

2 hours ago, The_Judge said:

The next match was always going to be incredibly interesting.  Don't see how the rantings of a deranged fan makes any difference.

*mean Killie (he was such a fucking *** c**t I got my **** and ayrshire **** mixed up)

2 hours ago, The_Judge said:

Just listened to it.  Take NO pleasure in saying it but Broadfoot came across as a guy very well versed in administration/politics/speaking and made Paul sound like a well meaning amateur.

I grant you he was super slick, he was however prepared to defend the indefensible instead of maybe looking for reasons why the two orgs are thought of so poorly. 

Haven't listened because Sportsound is rubbish, but Paul Goodwin is a bit of a charlatan.  The SFSA is basically an organisation he set up himself after being punted by Supporters Direct Scotland, and it has no real legitimacy.  They constantly claim to have X number of members, when in fact all that is required to be a "member" is to be on their mailing list.  The fact he is continually dragged out by the media as some sort of voice for the supporters is baffling.  If I remember correctly, I filled out the survey he was on to talk about, and it was packed with leading questions where it appeared as though the narrative was set in advance.  It's certainly notable that they haven't published any of the methodology related to the study, as far as I can see.

Broadfoot is aloof and smug, and has never come across as being particularly likeable,  so that was never going to be a great "debate".  However, it should be noted that Broadfoot is likely to offer genuine insight into the running of football clubs and organising bodies in Scotland, so his comments were likely grounded in reality.

Just now, craigkillie said:

Haven't listened because Sportsound is rubbish, but Paul Goodwin is a bit of a charlatan.  The SFSA is basically an organisation he set up himself after being punted by Supporters Direct Scotland, and it has no real legitimacy.  They constantly claim to have X number of members, when in fact all that is required to be a "member" is to be on their mailing list.  The fact he is continually dragged out by the media as some sort of voice for the supporters is baffling.  If I remember correctly, I filled out the survey he was on to talk about, and it was packed with leading questions where it appeared as though the narrative was set in advance.  It's certainly notable that they haven't published any of the methodology related to the study, as far as I can see.

Broadfoot is aloof and smug, and has never come across as being particularly likeable,  so that was never going to be a great "debate".  However, it should be noted that Broadfoot is likely to offer genuine insight into the running of football clubs and organising bodies in Scotland, so his comments were likely grounded in reality.

That highlighted bit is particularly spot on but the rest is pretty spot on too

8 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I often think this about supporters groups - where do their claims to speak for fans come from?  And in this specific case, has this survey been run professionally?  How have they selected the audience for their surveys, have they controlled the group in any way?  

9 hours ago, Mad Capsule said:

I might've missed the posts, but have any Killie fans commented on Boyd's comments about this and his pandering to Rangers whilst still playing for their team?

It's been debated fairly vociferously for a few weeks on our forum. 

FWIW, I don't mind him having a media gig, its the *anger* that does my nut in. And when he targets fellow pros who he'll be sharing a pitch with in a few weeks, it gives me the boak. 

27 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Grim reality.

27 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

This part I agree with you on, and that's normally what we get, here however was the other end of his repertoire that I can't say I recall, where he could stand no criticism of his paymasters nor was he prepared to countenance that such a damning survey had any legitimacy. 

12 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I often think this about supporters groups - where do their claims to speak for fans come from?  And in this specific case, has this survey been run professionally?  How have they selected the audience for their surveys, have they controlled the group in any way?  

My understanding is that the "legitimate" supporters body is Supporters Direct Scotland, who are officially recognised by the SFA and the Scottish and UK governments, and they typically have a board made up of representatives elected by official club supporters' organisations.  They have done some decent work of late, such as the introduction of Supporter Liaison Officers, but my impression is that their relationship with the SFA can be a little bit too cosy at times.  From the outside it definitely looks like a flawed organisation, and I think the SFA are happy to have them around making a lot of noise but not always doing a lot.

The SFSA is a grassroots operation - that isn't in itself a bad thing, but it does mean that they aren't regulated in any way and therefore are probably a lot less rigorous in who or what they get involved with.  I reckon if I started up my own supporters organisation, chucked out a bunch of angry rhetoric about the SFA and SPFL and then asked people to sign up for my mailing list, I could probably end up with quite a lot of members, but those members definitely wouldn't be representative of Scottish football fans as a whole.  The problem isn't that this organisation exists, it's that the likes of the BBC and the Herald have chosen to report their results without giving much consideration to whether the results are legitimate.