Sportsound Watch

What is it with ex old firm players and punditry? Barry Ferguson, Alex Rae and Kris Boyd for example. Thick as f**k
. Is there any beginning to their talents?

Very good at tax evasion to be fair

2 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

It'll be similar to Scott Mcdonald that there will be a sort of gentlemans agreement with Killie that he sees his life after football in punditry therefore he's granted this time to do this media work.  The unfortunate side of being a Scottish football pundit is that it pays to have a heavy leniency towards one of 'them'.  Killie have obviously accepted this side of Boyd.

I must admit it really wouldn't be tolerated in Aberdeen.  One of the best things about Mcinnes' reign in Aberdeen is that he's eradicated any public showings of affection for the OF by the team (he says as Mcinnes is about to depart to Rangers :lol:).   

I'll be honest and say that McDonald doing his stints as a pundit didn't bother me in the slightest when he was with Motherwell. He knocked his pan in, finished 2nd top scorer in the two full seasons he was back (double figures in both) and was a massive part of us staying up in the play-off season. It was kind of weird seeing fans of other clubs seemingly getting offended about it.

As you say, it'll be a gentleman's agreement between the player and the club. I don't really have much of an issue with anyone looking to top up their salary with some media work as long as it's not having an impact on their performance on the pitch.

Edited by capt_oats

7 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I'll be honest and say that McDonald doing his stints as a pundit didn't bother me in the slightest when he was with Motherwell. He knocked his pan in, finished 2nd top scorer in the two full seasons he was back (double figures in both) and was a massive part of us staying up in the play-off season. It was kind of weird seeing fans of other clubs seemingly getting offended about it.

As you say, it'll be a gentleman's agreement between the player and the club. I don't really have much of an issue with anyone looking to top up their salary with some media work as long as it's not having an impact on their performance on the pitch.

I do get that and at the end of the day fans will always judge players by what they see on the pitch.

I suppose we haven't had many ex OF players that have gone on to become prominent Scottish football pundits.  However, we went through a period (Calderwood/Mcghee) where players thought it was ok to express OF support in their private lives as it was deemed acceptable to just assume inferiority to them.  Examples being Zander Diamond's Bebo pictures of him in Celtic birthday hat with celtic birthday cake (he was club captain at the time), Michael Paton posting FTQ messages on Facebook etc etc.

I think most Aberdeen fans will forgive someone growing up an OF fan and even supporting them subsequent to their time with us or even during.  I don't think it's too much to ask for them to keep it under wraps while they play for the Dons.

22 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I do get that and at the end of the day fans will always judge players by what they see on the pitch.

I suppose we haven't had many ex OF players that have gone on to become prominent Scottish football pundits.  However, we went through a period (Calderwood/Mcghee) where players thought it was ok to express OF support in their private lives as it was deemed acceptable to just assume inferiority to them.  Examples being Zander Diamond's Bebo pictures of him in Celtic birthday hat with celtic birthday cake (he was club captain at the time), Michael Paton posting FTQ messages on Facebook etc etc.

I think most Aberdeen fans will forgive someone growing up an OF fan and even supporting them subsequent to their time with us or even during.  I don't think it's too much to ask for them to keep it under wraps while they play for the Dons.

Aye, don't get me wrong, I think there's a way you can go about it and sitting playing Simply The Best on a piano on national telly probably isn't it IMO but similarly it's really up to the club to do something about it if they/their fans aren't happy with it. McDonald did his work on Sportscene, Sportsound and did his punditing on the radio for Celtic's European games but I genuinely never felt he was bringing Motherwell into disrepute by doing it or that it was worth getting worked up about.

It's fans of other clubs getting outraged about a player who doesn't play for their team doing media work on his own time that perplexes me. Boyd is an absolute roaster, there's no two ways about that but if he wants to earn a bit more cash by slavering on the radio with Killie's blessing then I'm not going to criticise him for it. I will however criticise him for his utterly mental chat. His tangent the other week about Dundee United being where they are as a consequence of their 'stance' on Rangers was absolutely wild.

Edited by capt_oats

I recall Boyd on the radio (the season before he went back to Ibrox) and he was quite mild-mannered.

Since he returned to Kilmarnock and been allowed to do media work again, he's obviously observed Sutton getting a few decent gigs and tried to copy his style.

Not sure he's brave enough to tackle too much when it comes to upsetting the weegie duo's support, so he's decided to target the bigger east coast clubs in Hearts and Aberdeen for his initial vitriol.

To claim it's utterly ludicrous that the captain and most consistent player for the club that have been runners-up for three seasons, second in everything last season, and have managed to play a few European games more than the norm, is worthy of a squad place in the national team, is a strange one.  

Essentially he's either trying too hard to be controversial, or genuinely feels the domestic league in Scotland, where he earns a living, is utter garbage - thus is it even worthwhile having him on the radio to give an opinion about it.

Edited by tarapoa

I recall Boyd on the radio (the season before he went back to Ibrox) and he was quite mild-mannered.
Since he returned to Kilmarnock and been allowed to do media work again, he's obviously observed Sutton getting a few decent gigs and tried to copy his style.
Not sure he's brave enough to tackle too much when it comes to upsetting the weegie duo's support, so he's decided to target the bigger east coast clubs in Hearts and Aberdeen for his initial vitriol.
To claim it's utterly ludicrous that the captain and most consistent player for the club that have been runners-up for three seasons, second in everything last season, and have managed to play a few European games more than the norm is a strange one.  
Essentially he's either trying too hard to be controversial, or genuinely feels the domestic league in Scotland, where he earns a living, is utter garbage - thus is it even worthwhile having him on the radio to give an opinion about it.

Great post [emoji106]

49 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

To claim it's utterly ludicrous that the captain and most consistent player for the club that have been runners-up for three seasons, second in everything last season, and have managed to play a few European games more than the norm is a strange one.  

His ranting seemed far too strong and forceful to be any sort of grandstanding, he clearly meant it, and more, he clearly has a huuuuuge grudge against Aberdeen for some reason.

The next Dons v **** match is going to be incredibly interesting. 

Cringey as f**k bootlicking from Daryl Broadfoot tonight as he tried to utter discredit that survey that said everyone thinks the SFA and SPFL are untrustworthy.

It was a horrible slimy performance from him, full of snidey underhanded comments and delivered in the manner of a snobbish p***k.

What an absolute c**t

Cringey as f**k bootlicking from Daryl Broadfoot tonight as he tried to utter discredit that survey that said everyone thinks the SFA and SPFL are untrustworthy.
It was a horrible slimy performance from him, full of snidey underhanded comments and delivered in the manner of a snobbish p***k.
What an absolute c**t

100%. Broadfoot comes across as a c**t of the highest order.