Sportsound Watch

2 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Kenny McIntyre - First of all here is an update on the Joey Barton situation, Richard....

Richard Wilson - ae ae ae Thanks Kenny, as some of you may heard Joey Barton has been suspended by Rangers for a training ground bust up 20 f'kin years ago

Seriously? It's incredible really. Then we get a character reference on Barton from one of his former team mates. We know Barton is a c'nt, he has always been a c'nt, are these morons just beginning to realise this? 

What makes it even more impressive is the BBC and Rangers aren't even on talking terms yet the show is constantly about Rangers and Barton in particular.

I know Talksport takes a slagging on here but at least they change the record every so often. 100 times better than the football coverage we have to put up with up here.

I missed the first ten minutes of the show and got the last 2 of 3 minutes of the Barton discussion.

You're ever so slightly exaggerating.

3 hours ago, Rednyella said:

But sad he has lost friends.

Why is it sad, it a great thing for your future chances if you find out friends are actually only aquaintances, I only keep aquaintances as a friend of mine needs to deserve 100% of my trust, only met one that's close over my whole lifetime.

26 minutes ago, bennett said:

I missed the first ten minutes of the show and got the last 2 of 3 minutes of the Barton discussion.

You're ever so slightly exaggerating.

Ok they spent nearly a quarter of the show talking about a player who hasn't kicked a ball in months for a team who they don't talk to and on a topic that has been done to death in the last 2 months, give or take a week or so.

The only positive is they can't sack Barton yet so they'll need to keep paying him to train with the youngsters.

Why is it sad, it a great thing for your future chances if you find out friends are actually only aquaintances, I only keep aquaintances as a friend of mine needs to deserve 100% of my trust, only met one that's close over my whole lifetime.

Sad his "friends" treated him the way they did. Superficially rather than actually being pals through thick and thin. I think that's quite sad. Don't you?

I think it's sad you've only got one pal you trust.

I heard most of the O'Connor interview and think he came across pretty well. He acknowledged that he made a load of mistakes and took full responsibility for them all. He even said that he'd like to give advice to young players on not what to do since he's been there and done it.

Not sure where you're getting the 'not quite all there' bit.

I think he came across just fine also. I stated he seems like a nice bloke who coming to terms with his choices. Some quite defensive comments on O'Connor but I'm in agreement with you. I've no argument on how his character came across.

The only parts I found a wee bit concerning is when MacIntyre pushed him on his drug history. You could tell he was uncomfortable, justifying it and saying it was never an issue and when he was asked about having the Five-0 arrest him when he had coke in the car with his pals he said he didn't remember that incident. I find that a bit strange. I have a friend who is an addict and loved coke. I can tell you getting busted with it more than once is a likely sign of a life where drugs plays a decent role. I just got the feeling he wasn't being completely honest. I'm not slating the lad. That's all and it's an opinion. I don't know for sure obviously.

He also said he had no regrets, which I felt was disingenuous as did Tam McManus and in my opinion whilst I think he's a good bloke and I wish him all the very best now his head is clear and he has grown up somewhat, focusing on family, and he wants to support young players and get into coaching I didn't think he was as mature or intelligent as say other former players who want to pursue coaching and management. He's not been out the top game long so time to learn he has, but it's my opinion we won't see him in a top job at a premier league or English champ or EPL side. Assistant possibly but don't think he'll cut it at top level. Hope he proves me wrong.

14 hours ago, ShugtheBuddie said:

Personally really enjoyed Mills view on Barton. Actually enjoyed the Weds AND last nights shows 

Last night's show was pretty poor I thought.

The poppy stuff lacked any real kind of analysis at all.  

The Lambie/Charnley stuff was painful.  Two daft old twats reminiscing about their sectarian banter and drunken violence.  The 'Tell him he's Pele' story was actually much less amusing when re-told by the protagonist.

These features just irritate me.

4 hours ago, Rednyella said:

Sad his "friends" treated him the way they did. Superficially rather than actually being pals through thick and thin. I think that's quite sad. Don't you?

I think it's sad you've only got one pal you trust.

Nah, I think it's sad that people put too much trust in too many people, there really aren't that many people around who I'd be happy with having my life in their hands.

I've loads of aquaintances.

4 hours ago, Rednyella said:

He also said he had no regrets, which I felt was disingenuous as did Tam McManus

I've made 1000's of mistakes in my life, most in the pursuit of gambling, I have no regrets even although I've right royally fucked up my life multiple times, personally I don't think it's healthy carrying the burden of loads of regrets, I've witnessed too many people wallowing about in the cesspit of self pity due to poor me syndrome..

2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

The Lambie/Charnley stuff was painful.  Two daft old twats reminiscing about their sectarian banter and drunken violence.  The 'Tell him he's Pele' story was actually much less amusing when re-told by the protagonist.

Bertie Auld was telling the exact same story when he was Partick manager. For some reason it seems to have stuck with Lambie.

Last night's show was pretty poor I thought.

The poppy stuff lacked any real kind of analysis at all.  

These features just irritate me.

Totally disagree. Yes the first half was a yawn fest. More Barton and the poppy discussion was not particularly interesting.

But the Lambie and Charnley interview was hilarious. Nostalgic, old school and insightful for supporters who grew up with these guys, as I did. Game has changed a lot but nice to hear some old funny stories from an era most of us look back at fondly.

11 hours ago, Rednyella said:

He also said he had no regrets, which I felt was disingenuous as did Tam McManus and in my opinion whilst I think he's a good bloke and I wish him all the very best now his head is clear and he has grown up somewhat, focusing on family, and he wants to support young players and get into coaching I didn't think he was as mature or intelligent as say other former players who want to pursue coaching and management. He's not been out the top game long so time to learn he has, but it's my opinion we won't see him in a top job at a premier league or English champ or EPL side. Assistant possibly but don't think he'll cut it at top level. Hope he proves me wrong.

He's been Selkirk manager for over a year now but hardly setting the heather alight despite signing a variety of big name connections like Scott Robertson, Gary Kenneth and some England youth international whose name escapes me. He'd been with them as a player and possibly coach for some time before taking-over. Took over 7th in the Lowland League, but ended 12th with 3 wins, 1 draw and 12 defeats under him. This season sat 2nd bottom - which could potentially mean relegation to the East of Scotland League - with 3 wins and 10 defeats (admittedly 2 of those 3 wins were spectacular: 7-1 v local rivals Gala and 7-4 v relegated East Stirlingshire).

All his cup-ties have also ended in defeats... 4-1 at home to Civil Service Strollers (of the tier below) in the South Challenge Cup last season; 4-1 away to them, in the EOS Qualifying Cup this time; 1-0 at Gretna in the Lowland League Cup; 3-0 at home to Linlithgow Rose in the Scottish Cup.

They were also debarred from this season's South Challenge Cup for fielding ineligible players v CSS in that defeat last season.

Obviously constrained by available resources etc., but some reports suggested he was under pressure before beating 'Shire.

Edited by HibeeJibee

O Connor came across OK I thought but I'd agree still pretty immature. Mcmanus said 'he wasn't the worst guy he's played with' which was hardly a ringing endorsement.

Daft laddie that had enormous talent and has therefore been through a lot. Losing the money, the life, the so called pals etc has taken its toll.

He didn't really take much responsibility for his mistakes. Quite quick to look for excuses I thought.

Certainly an interesting interview.

11 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

O Connor came across OK I thought but I'd agree still pretty immature. Mcmanus said 'he wasn't the worst guy he's played with' which was hardly a ringing endorsement.

Daft laddie that had enormous talent and has therefore been through a lot. Losing the money, the life, the so called pals etc has taken its toll.

He didn't really take much responsibility for his mistakes. Quite quick to look for excuses I thought.

Certainly an interesting interview.

Yes, pretty much this.  

He came across as alright.   He seemed keen to duck responsibility though.  It was all down to a lack of advice, friends who exploited him etc.

There was no real discussion of what he allowed to happen to his weight.  He was also irritating with how badly he remembered details of his own career, like the goal scored in the game he played in at Hampden against France.  

He didn't appear to be a complete bawheid, but at the same time, it's no great mystery that it all got away from him.

3 hours ago, Rednyella said:

Totally disagree. Yes the first half was a yawn fest. More Barton and the poppy discussion was not particularly interesting.

But the Lambie and Charnley interview was hilarious. Nostalgic, old school and insightful for supporters who grew up with these guys, as I did. Game has changed a lot but nice to hear some old funny stories from an era most of us look back at fondly.

I'm certainly of the right vintage for that pair.  I remember them well.

I think being a Thistle fan would probably help with not finding them tedious old fools though.

8 hours ago, drs said:

Bertie Auld was telling the exact same story when he was Partick manager. For some reason it seems to have stuck with Lambie.

I think I heard Harry Redknapp tell that story in the past week, it gets around.

Live commentary of the Celtic game today. I call it 'the Celtic game' as there has been minimal mention of an opposition, apart from a hilariously-patronising pat on the back from Liam McLeod to Inverness when they had past the 20 (TWENTY) minute mark without conceding to the almighty Glasgow Celtic.