Sportsound Watch

Whelan did play for Jimmy Cupranol whilst at Aberdeen IIRC. I find Jimmy's tenure at Aberdeen a bit of a curates egg. I didn't want him, but his results made me pipe down. I think it's easy to forget what a shambles we were before he arrived and how bad it got under McGhee (who I really rated) after he left. However, I could also see that we were beginning to stagnate, and prophetically, he was probably right about his 'shelf-life'. I still can't bring myself to completely dislike him, even though he is a button. Yours aDONis

He specifically said it was whilst he was at Dunfermline though. Perhaps he was drunk?

I've always liked Jimmy Calderwood, he's a good, old fashioned style Scottish manager who gets the best out of what is at his disposal, not to mention a very down to earth guy. I'd have him at Fir Park in a heartbeat and indeed I reckon he should have been at the very least a serious contender when both Baraclough and then McGhee got the job.

This is rather inaccurate. In fact, hugely inaccurate. He's very different from an 'old fashioned Scottish manager' such as his Pars successor, Davie Hay. I'd take Calderwood over that type every single time. Also his turnover of players at East End was huge. He didn't use what was at his disposal, making a load of signings whenever he could. That would have been fine could we have afforded it mind.

Funny as f**k listening to Jimmy rambling on.

The funniest part was when he said Gavin Masterton offered him money to buy players 'he just put his hand in his pocket' nothing was any trouble.

That's because he was dipping the bank's pockets you mahogany p***k.

Shite, ignore me, I was getting mixed up with the O'Leary/Shiels thing. :wacko: Sorry, all!

Not the O'Leary/Calderwood thing? I was disappointed it wasn't raised.

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/5005506/Dressing-rooms-turned-into-the-loneliest-places-in-the-world-for-me.html

He added: “I just felt so far from home in Glasgow. Between that and my successive shoulder injuries, my problems were simply exacerbated. Steve Paterson’s replacement, Jimmy Calderwood, made it clear that he thought I was soft.

“At this point I hated life and I turned down a new three-year deal. His response was to freeze me out of the team at all levels.

“He even held a team meeting — in front of all the players — to tell everyone that they should steer clear of me, that I would be out of the game within 18 months because my attitude was so bad.”

Injuries, both niggling and serious, derailed his progress, as did Calderwood’s arrival as Jim Jefferies’ replacement.

He said: “It was just like it was up at Aberdeen.

“Within a day of arriving, he simply bombed me out with no explanation.

“One day he threw his whistle at me and said to take the boys for a warm-up, so I could ‘at least earn’ my wages.

This is rather inaccurate. In fact, hugely inaccurate. He's very different from an 'old fashioned Scottish manager' such as his Pars successor, Davie Hay. I'd take Calderwood over that type every single time. Also his turnover of players at East End was huge. He didn't use what was at his disposal, making a load of signings whenever he could. That would have been fine could we have afforded it mind.

Perhaps, though my impression of him was that he was always able to get the best out of what he had. Whether he spent a lot of money to get 'what was at his disposal' is another matter, as I remember he did a superb job at Dunfermline, got them promoted and built a very good team which consistently challenged in the top six and got them to a Cup Final.

He then moved to Aberdeen where he consistently finished top six, qualified for Europe and even made it out of the group stages and then drew with Bayern Munich. Aberdeen never achieved even a top six finish for something like four years between him leaving and McInnes arriving, so that points to a fine job from Calderwood.

I can understand why folk see him as a bit of a joke figure with the walk and the voice of the vocal 'know all' down the local, but he knows the Scottish game well and picked up valuable experience, not to mention contacts during his time in Holland.

He wouldn't be popular for various reasons, but I think he would be a perfect fit for Motherwell.

Yeah that's it.

So it was Calderwood after all, it's going well for me today...

He then moved to Aberdeen where he consistently finished top six, qualified for Europe and even made it out of the group stages and then drew with Bayern Munich. Aberdeen never achieved even a top six finish for something like four years between him leaving and McInnes arriving, so that points to a fine job from Calderwood.

Whilst he undoubtedly had some achievements at Aberdeen, I'd suggest that part of the subsequent decline at the club was down to his policies. How many youngsters broke in to the first team under his stewardship? He seemed to prioritise the here and now with no thought the future. I think that lack of forward planning became evident after he left the club and everything went to shit.

I thought he came across as a complete buffoon on the radio last night. He claims to have no idea why no one has been willing to give him a job for the last two years but won't ask anyone why or get any feedback because he's "not going to beg for a job". What an idiot.

On the surface Calderwood has a reasonable record in Scotland but once you scratch the surface he really is a total buffoon.

I can't speak for Dunfermline but as alluded to earlier, he totally alienated the youth system at the club.

He also created an awful culture at Aberdeen with the team he put together, guys with a bit of talent but a horrible attitude to the club and the sport. The true level of what shitbags they were was evident when Calderwood (who let them away with murder) left and Mcghee came in and tried to instil a bit of professionalism.

The football itself was an absolute eye sore, hoofed balls long to Lee Miller who would try and win a set piece. That was it.

He won something like 4 of his last 19 games, alienated a lot of fans, pissed off the board, the cup exits to lower league teams (QoTS still hurts :( )

Dons fans got a lot of stick for wanting a guy out who had brought us so much 'success', especially with the car crash that was Mcghee but I think his career since has seen us vindicated that this guy wasn't fit to take the club forward.

I was too. However when it was brought up to Kenny MacIntyre on Twitter he admitted that he hadn't even of heard the story, which is pretty poor from a journalist who should be doing his research.

Calderwood is a fantasist, and his version of events now don't match up with what happened at the time.

For example: on the Sportsound interview he claims that he went to Spain to await a job offer from Killie that eventually never came. He then apparently received a phone call from a journalist to say that we were to appoint Mixu the next day and that's the first he'd heard from the club. At the time though, he claimed that he turned the Killie job down because of financial constraints:

"To be honest, it was more to do with the budget and Sandy offering to leave. To have a fighting chance of making the top half of the table, the budget wasn't enough. It would have made it very difficult to take the club to the next level."

Mixu Paatelainen then led us to the top six, and Kenny Shiels won the cup the following year - both after more budget cuts.

His win record at Killie was terrible too. When he took over we were in eleventh place, one point ahead of Falkirk. The results from Calderwood taking over until the end of the season were: P- 19, W- 5, D- 4, L- 11. The truth is we were saved by Falkirk's incompetence rather than anything Calderwood did. We finished the season eleventh place, two points ahead of Falkirk... We also scored three away goals during his whole time at Killie. Three.

The fact he is lauded with saving Killie is laughable, considering almost any competent manager would have done the same. I'd even argue that Jefferies probably would have too had he stayed.

His little anecdote about being at Fowler's do' and the Killie fans being all over him and egging him on to shout at the chairman is bollocks too. I was there, and he was going about telling anyone that would listen how "Emeranka widnae get in the team I was playing to build here" and other nonsense. He was a laughing stock for the entire night.

I'm sure the County fans will confirm this too, but he supposedly only travelled up to Dingwall on Saturdays and his brother took most of the training, and that was as big a reason as any why he didn't stay.

The O'Leary stuff alone should mean he never works again.

Calderwood memories:

Positives: Copenhagen, Bayern Munich, Dinamo Moscow. Some good players

Negatives: the cup exits. I remember going out on penalties to Dunfermline (Div 1) at home. We spent the bulk of the game hoofing long balls to Chris McGuire, who is about 4 feet tall.

His terrible man-management meant we never got the best out of some very talented players. e.g. Steve Lovell

I'm sure the County fans will confirm this too, but he supposedly only travelled up to Dingwall on Saturdays and his brother took most of the training, and that was as big a reason as any why he didn't stay.

It was his son, I believe. I'm not too clued-up on the behind the scenes goings on at County in those days, but there's others on here who know more. I'm certainly led to believe he wasn't as hands-on as would have been expected. Whilst he won us the Challenge Cup on a glorious April afternoon in Perth, I wasn't disappointed at all that he wasn't kept on.

Positives: Copenhagen, Bayern Munich, Dinamo Moscow.

I remember those games (was studying in Aberdeen at the time). That second half against Copenhagen was a joy to behold, and the Bayern match was incredible insomuch as it felt like a defeat after the game! (Lokomotiv) Moscow I'd somehow wiped from my memory until I found my match ticket years later tucked inside a book I'd never finished reading. I have absolutely no memory of the game, although I must've been there. Presumably I was on a fairly heavy session at the time!

Aye, but Steve Lovell's a "weird guy. Very deep." according to JC.

His comments about Lovell and alleged treatment of O'Leary show the quality of the man, IMO.

It was his son, I believe. I'm not too clued-up on the behind the scenes goings on at County in those days, but there's others on here who know more. I'm certainly led to believe he wasn't as hands-on as would have been expected. Whilst he won us the Challenge Cup on a glorious April afternoon in Perth, I wasn't disappointed at all that he wasn't kept on.

I remember those games (was studying in Aberdeen at the time). That second half against Copenhagen was a joy to behold, and the Bayern match was incredible insomuch as it felt like a defeat after the game! (Lokomotiv) Moscow I'd somehow wiped from my memory until I found my match ticket years later tucked inside a book I'd never finished reading. I have absolutely no memory of the game, although I must've been there. Presumably I was on a fairly heavy session at the time!

His comments about Lovell and alleged treatment of O'Leary show the quality of the man, IMO.

It was far from the most exciting of our European ties. Diamond gave us the lead from a corner first half, and they scored right on half time. Although I think I pretty much missed their goal. I'd been to the toilet and they had basically no fans so didn't know until half time (I think) that it was 1-1.

Calderwood memories:

Positives: Copenhagen, Bayern Munich, Dinamo Moscow. Some good players

Negatives: the cup exits. I remember going out on penalties to Dunfermline (Div 1) at home. We spent the bulk of the game hoofing long balls to Chris McGuire, who is about 4 feet tall.

His terrible man-management meant we never got the best out of some very talented players. e.g. Steve Lovell

Despite a heavy intake of alcohol before and after this game, I too remember it well. My voice was in shreds for about 4 days after. Worth it though, as it's one of the best atmospheres I've been in (obviously if you were in the home end it wasn't so good). I'm sure Calderwood claimed someone in the main stand spat on him as he walked off.