Sportsound Watch

9 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Anyone who thought ‘orange day’ was a genuine celebration of the Dutch needs to just be put down quietly.

Maybe some people should be asking why they have such a problem with the colour orange....

24 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Anyone who thought ‘orange day’ was a genuine celebration of the Dutch needs to just be put down quietly.

Of course - and I was surprised at Billy Dodds.  Our orange kit, both then and now, was all about Britain's joint monarch William III of glorious memory.

Now we as a support have a problem with hate speech.  The club recognises this as do all of the Rangers fans on here.  However, if you think the argument comes down to where on the colour spectrum some of our kit lies then you are trivialising a fairly serious discussion and are engaging in petty, tit-for-tat pish.

There are serious accusations to be levelled against us.  The colour of our kit isn't one of those.

I'll believe it a nod to the Dutch players when they bring out a Green & Gold strip as a nod to the Australian players.....
Till then they a bunch of lying bigoted arseholes

The orange strip was 100% a nod to their songbook, and by mopping up the orange quid then trying to justify it as a tribute to their Dutch contingent... well ironically they play in Orange due to their long dead icon King Billy of Orange.

17 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Don't be a tit Bennett.

You are actually a bit better than that.

Why?  Dutch players or Dutch king, the point remains.  If you take issue with us wearing orange kit then you are focussing on the wrong issue.

2 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Why?  Dutch players or Dutch king, the point remains.  If you take issue with us wearing orange kit then you are focussing on the wrong issue.

I think the focus on the orange strip is a response to Rangers' 'what more can we do?' innocent face stuff.

Rangers pander to this mince. Playing Simply the Best while knowing full well the add-ons put in by the support, releasing orange strips. Examples of Rangers' pandering.

8 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

There are serious accusations to be levelled against us.  The colour of our kit isn't one of those.

I totally disagree Kincardine.

Stewart introduced the topic on Sportsound, because the idea that Rangers couldn't possibly do more to counter the problem, was being given an airing.

He's 100% right in suggesting otherwise in this way.

Now, if it helps, I'll say that Celtic have done the same crap with tricolours on their track suit collars and suchlike, while allowing Republican bands to record offensive videos at Parkhead.  

The point is that the club have pandered to a sentiment they should utterly be dissociating from.  As such, Stewart was completely correct in citing it.  I think Dodds and Ferguson genuinely lacked the brains to get this.  I don't believe you do though, so what exactly is the nature of your objection?

1 minute ago, JTS98 said:

I think the focus on the orange strip is a response to Rangers' 'what more can we do?' innocent face stuff.

Rangers pander to this mince. Playing Simply the Best while knowing full well the add-ons put in by the support, releasing orange strips. Examples of Rangers' pandering.

Celebrating Britain's 1688 revolution does not make you a bigot.  Shouting f**k the Pope at a football game does.  Posters need to differentiate the two.

Indeed. I take issue with a club claiming they are doing everything they can to eradicate the problem whilst endorsing celebrations of William of orange.

You may be able to argue that there’s nothing wrong with rangers identifying with and celebrating its Protestant/monarchist roots but it is simply naive to claim that it doesn’t attract or embolden the very worst c***s of its support.

1 minute ago, The_Kincardine said:

Celebrating Britain's 1688 revolution does not make you a bigot.  Shouting f**k the Pope at a football game does.  Posters need to differentiate the two.

We're both grown adults. I think neither of us need the lack of wisdom of Rangers releasing an orange strip to be explained.

3 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Indeed. I take issue with a club claiming they are doing everything they can to eradicate the problem whilst endorsing celebrations of William of orange.

You may be able to argue that there’s nothing wrong with rangers identifying with and celebrating its Protestant/monarchist roots but it is simply naive to claim that it doesn’t attract or embolden the very worst c***s of its support.

Just as well I didn't do that.

Celebrating Wm of Orange at football isn't my own cup of tea but is, in itself, innocuous and mewling about it does nothing but detract from the main problem.

14 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

It’s not just the orange kits. They released at least one with a Union flag motif. They can peddle the ‘Dutch players’ line all they want. No-one believes it. Sevco as a club know how to pander to their base support.

4 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

It’s not just the orange kits. They released at least one with a Union flag motif. They can peddle the ‘Dutch players’ line all they want. No-one believes it. Sevco as a club know how to pander to their base support.

There you go @Monkey Tennis.  The argument is no longer about our fans' hate speech but all about where our kit sits on the colour chart and what, perfectly innocuous, symbols are displayed on our shirts.

Just now, The_Kincardine said:

There you go @Monkey Tennis.  The argument is no longer about our fans' hate speech but all about where our kit sits on the colour chart and what, perfectly innocuous, symbols are displayed on our shirts.

Yeah, course it is. Colours of shirts, nothing else. 😀

Just as well I didn't do that.
Celebrating Wm of Orange at football isn't my own cup of tea but is, in itself, innocuous and mewling about it does nothing but detract from the main problem.

I disagree entirely. There is a section of society who see rangers as their vehicle to express their hatred of catholics and the orange away kit is communicating an endorsement of that, obviously not purposefully but it does.

No one is saying it is the key issue in all of this but the club know fine we’ll the provocative nature of the orange away kit and they went with it anyway. So they can spare us the we do everything we can excuses.

22 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Offended by the union flag now, this shows ridiculous this is getting.

What next, they play in blue?

8 hours ago, kennysmassiveego said:

As for the decent sevco fans , there are some , my brother in law and ex pharmacist had a meeting with sevco s CEO to point out the problem of sectarianism

How does your brother-in-law know your old chemist? Did you invite the guy from Lloyds to the family barbecue?

11 minutes ago, bennett said:

Offended by the union flag now, this shows ridiculous this is getting.

What next, they play in blue?

I’m not offended by the Union flag. I am not offended by the Irish tricolour, or the rather colourful Brazilian or Jamaican flags. There’s a discussion going on about, amongst other things, thicko’ Derek Ferguson and daft Doddsy’s performance on Sportscene, and the orange kits are part of this discussion. Rangers released an orange away kit, and a red Puma kit with a Union flag motif. In my, and seemingly many other people’s opinion, this was no random colour choice, no random stylised background pattern, like, for example, the current Chelsea kit which features stylised roof sections of their stadium. 

Rangers, and their new incarnation, Rangers 2012 know fine what they are doing , and that is pandering to the Unionist / Loyalist element that goes with supporting those clubs. Now, I am a golfer, and when Justin Rose won Olympic gold, I treated myself to one of those natty shirts Team GB golfers wore. A smart Nike job, featuring red, white and blue colours, a Union flag motif, and a full-on Union flag on the sleeve. I wore it in a medal competition last week - so don’t fcuking tell me what I am offended by, thank you.

Edited by pozbaird

1 hour ago, The_Kincardine said:

It's not at all innocuous, in the form it takes.  It is designed to be anti-Catholic, a point you and I both understand fully, so stop the nonsense.