Sportsound Watch

Great thread. Although started with a tirade!!!! Good giggle mind.

Richard Gordon I think is a great pro. Holds it all together well on open all mic's. I actually think he does a not bad job of trying to remain impartial when reporting on Aberdeen.

Chic Young

Awful pundit. Easily the worst I've ever heard anywhere in my whole life. Very thick. On open all mic's he butts in and screams like he's 25 seconds into having his way with Claudia Schiffer then you realise it's only because Rangers have won a shy in line with their own 18 yard box.

Dodds

cliche fest. His views on EBT's and all things Sevco made his opinion irrelevant

Patterson

Why use 5 words when 896 will do?

Scot Davie could make Real Madrid v Eintracht Frankfurt sound pish.

Preston is not a bad guy at all but he highlights why these lads shouldn't be covering their own teams. We all know all these guys support a side but he is very blinkered. I also think he may be an agent of sorts or works for that type of firm so I sometimes question his opinions on players.

Maybe that's just me?

Michael Stewart is excellent.

Jim Spence is very good. Touch of the Motty about him though!!

Tom English is a great listen as can Speirs be sometimes. Shame it took Speirs until Rangers folded to appreciate other aspects of the Scottish game other than the old firm.

Michael Grant is also worth a mention. Good opinions.

The fella from Orkney is odd. I've been to Orkney several times and have yet to hear a northern islander exaggerate their accent like that.

Rob Maclean is nae bad. Bit of dry humour about him.

Stuart Cosgrove is a national treasure. Top guy.

As a teuchter I winna get Clyde on my radio but I listened to it on line one Saturday to see what like it was. Sportsound is a million miles better.

I think we'd probably all miss it if it wasn't there every week.

• 2 weeks later...

Great thread. Although started with a tirade!!!! Good giggle mind.

Richard Gordon I think is a great pro. Holds it all together well on open all mic's. I actually think he does a not bad job of trying to remain impartial when reporting on Aberdeen.

Chic Young

Awful pundit. Easily the worst I've ever heard anywhere in my whole life. Very thick. On open all mic's he butts in and screams like he's 25 seconds into having his way with Claudia Schiffer then you realise it's only because Rangers have won a shy in line with their own 18 yard box.

Dodds

cliche fest. His views on EBT's and all things Sevco made his opinion irrelevant

Patterson

Why use 5 words when 896 will do?

Scot Davie could make Real Madrid v Eintracht Frankfurt sound pish.

Preston is not a bad guy at all but he highlights why these lads shouldn't be covering their own teams. We all know all these guys support a side but he is very blinkered. I also think he may be an agent of sorts or works for that type of firm so I sometimes question his opinions on players.

Maybe that's just me?

Michael Stewart is excellent.

Jim Spence is very good. Touch of the Motty about him though!!

Tom English is a great listen as can Speirs be sometimes. Shame it took Speirs until Rangers folded to appreciate other aspects of the Scottish game other than the old firm.

Michael Grant is also worth a mention. Good opinions.

The fella from Orkney is odd. I've been to Orkney several times and have yet to hear a northern islander exaggerate their accent like that.

Rob Maclean is nae bad. Bit of dry humour about him.

Stuart Cosgrove is a national treasure. Top guy.

As a teuchter I winna get Clyde on my radio but I listened to it on line one Saturday to see what like it was. Sportsound is a million miles better.

I think we'd probably all miss it if it wasn't there every week.

Phil Goodlad

• 2 weeks later...

Not Sportsound I know, but why is it being implied on 'Off the Ball' that Accies fans went and complained to the police about the McFadden gesture? Is this in fact the case?

Everyone I went to the game with, and certainly the people sitting in our vicinity, found it fucking hilarious.

"petty and ill informed"

That's what they always say when they get something wrong,

It's been pretty awful today

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been listening to the podcasts on the way into work recently. Richard Gordon is a good broadcaster/host, does well in the circumstances (his motley crew of contributors). English and Chris McLaughlin make good contributions, but the rest are buffoons. The ex-footballers can be forgiven for that, Chick Young cannot.

For me, the best sports radio/commentary has always been in the US. ESPN's Mike Greenberg hosts a similar kind of show to Sportsound, but on a completely different level of professionalism/quality. Podcasts here:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnradio/podcast/archive?id=2445552

• 2 weeks later...

Enjoy open all mics, it's a great format, but they don't have to employ some of the dross they do. After the football on Saturday, where I got to enjoy Derek ferguson's weekly failure to string a sentence together, the rugby came on. What a difference! I only listened to 10 minutes, as it was rugby after all, but 3 folk who spoke well, had interesting and insightful opinions and seemed knowledgeable about their sport.

The Good:-

Richard Gordon is obviously a class above the rest, but in the last couple of seasons he's let himself be dragged down to the level of others in terms of petty disagreements which drag on and on.. Usually against Chic. He can be full of himself though.

Michael Stewart is excellent. Don't particularly like the guy but he talks well, is prepared to give an opinion rather than avoid criticising at all costs, and gives a bit of tactical insight.

I like Rob Maclean and Jim Spence. Paddy Bonner has been surprisingly good as I think he seems to take an interest in other teams than just celtic, and he talks well. Compare that to hartson on tv on Sunday who is awful. Tom English speaks well but is boring and goes on far too much.

Peter Houston was covering a game the other week and thought he was very good.

The Bad and The Ugly:- (pointless rant about folk on the radio I don't like listening to)...

Willie miller is very poor. An intelligent guy who just can't be bothered taking an interest in anyone outwith aberdeen or the old firm. Most weeks I think he'd struggle to tell you who the dons are playing in the game he's covering.

Derek Ferguson and Chic Young are disgraceful. Either give derek ferguson training in how to speak in the media or get rid of him. It's embarrassing. Agree with the point further up that he actually has decent things to say occasionally during discussions before the matches begin. Chic has never been good and the fact he gets a wage for the shite he produces is criminal.

Billy Dodds is poor. John Robertson I don't dislike but don't think he brings much to the table, offers zero insight, as with dodds.

Preston shouldn't be on the radio as he's an agent. Conflict of interest. Similar to when Gordon Smith got the sportscene gig every week years back. Biscuits might have something good to say but his voice is terrible so you just don't listen to him. Heshouldslowdownandhavegapsinhissentences.

Preston is a belter, 'cos you can tell who his agencies players are after about ten minutes of him covering a match.

"I tell you what guys, this *insert really average player at small club* has got. it. all. Good in possession, strong in the tackle, and a right gid lad. He could go places."