Sportsound Watch

Indeed. The Lisbon Lions obviously never got the memo that Celtic players are supposed to choose to play for the land of ire.

Any booing was probably Celtic fans chastising them for choosing Scotland.

4 hours ago, kingjoey said:

As someone said earlier, John McGovern captained two sides to European Cup victory, and received not a single cap.

You are making the same point as I'm making about the Lisbon Lions.
It was an absolute travesty John McGovern got no caps but again a different era.
A lot of the Lisbon lions point to institutional bias for their lack of caps I'm just asking was it a myth.

7 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

It was an absolute travesty John McGovern got no caps but again a different era.
A lot of the Lisbon lions point to institutional bias for their lack of caps I'm just asking was it a myth.

To be fair, I don’t just think it’s the Lisbon Lions that point to institutional bias.

Rangers - Everybody hates us. Everybody is against us. 

Celtic - Everybody hates us. Everybody is against us.

15 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Everyone in the history of the universe associated with Celtic FC points to institutional bias when they don't get what they want.

It's almost as if certain clubs inculcate a certain mindset or attract people who already have it.

19 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Yes it was.

Right, next subject...

1 hour ago, KnightswoodBear said:

What a joyless c**t. 

A journos private tweet about Barcelona v Liverpool in a Champions League game in Spain.  Yep, very Sportsound relevant.

12 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

To be fair, I don’t just think it’s the Lisbon Lions that point to institutional bias.

Rangers - Everybody hates us. Everybody is against us. 

Celtic - Everybody hates us. Everybody is against us.

I'm not making this about Celtic or rangers it's about Scotland.
Bobby Lennox played for 20 years he only got 10 caps his last cap was in 1970 yet he played for Celtic until 78.

And a lot of players who haven't played for either of the cheeks point to institutional bias for their lack of caps. As mentioned above, in the 1960s in particular some of the Dunfermline players were regularly outperforming their Celtic and Rangers counterparts but didn't get enough/any international recognition.

10 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

I'm not making this about Celtic or rangers it's about Scotland.
Bobby Lennox played for 20 years he only got 10 caps his last cap was in 1970 yet he played for Celtic until 78.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/the-dram-busters-950742

Bobby Lennox claims no bias and even goes on to say he felt it was unfair that several Celtic players were drafted in to the squad for a friendly several weeks before the final in Lisbon.

13 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

That was a long career. Did he play against Father Franco Sensini towards the end of it?

Story goes Celtic, and some of their players, moaned about being called up for a Scotland friendly just a week or two before the game against Inter, and they were black listed for that, an easy decision since they were, at best, equal to those who they were trying to start ahead of.

Hopefully same thing happens with Kieran "I need a rest so I won't play for Scotland/plays in Celtics next couple of games" Tierney, as hes miles off Robertson and wouldnt be missed at all.

Just now, Salvo Montalbano said:

And a lot of players who haven't played for either of the cheeks point to institutional bias for their lack of caps. As mentioned above, in the 1960s in particular some of the Dunfermline players were regularly outperforming their Celtic and Rangers counterparts but didn't get enough/any international recognition.

In 1964/65 Killie won the league, Hearts were second, Dunfermline third, and Hibs fourth.  The national team played 7 games that season, and these four clubs were represented thus;

• Kilmarnock - Campbell Forsyth (3), Jackie McGrory (2).
  • Hearts - Willie Wallace (1)
  • Dunfermline - none.
  • Hibernian - Neil Martin (2) William Hamilton (1).

So in total, the best 4 clubs in the country accounted for a total of 9 caps.

Celtic finished 8th that season, and accounted for a total of 13.