Sportsound Watch

14 hours ago, Loonytoons said:
16 hours ago, DA Baracus said:
There was a full card in Leagues 1 and 2, yet they didn't have a reporter at a single game in those leagues. Why?

The Doddsies of BBC don't do the diddies of the seaside leagues.

Sportsound didn't bother their arse covering the game between 1st and 2nd in the Championship on Tuesday night, so Leagues 1 and 2 were never going to stand a chance.

On 22/03/2019 at 20:24, pandarilla said:

He didn't agree it was genetic, but he pointed out that our players coming through lack the physicality compared to youths in England.

They were specifically discussing den defenders at that point.

I tend to agree that physicality is an issue, but more towards strength and fitness rather than height.

Why is he comparing us to England?  A country with over 10 times the population.

Also, size and population aside, England's youth teams are filled with huge speed freaks who soon get lost to the National League or League 2 at best when they get to 21/22 and coaches notice they lack in actual footballing ability. 

I’d urge you all to give last night’s episode a listen (well, most of it anyway).

There was a really good chat with Ryan Stevenson, Craig Beattie and Michael Doyle about playing in the lower leagues. It was very open and honest and talked about some of the harsh realities that can come with being a part time player in the lower leagues as well approaching the end of your playing career and having to then sort out a totally new career. They talked about mental health issues they faced as a result (Stevenson in particular was very open and talked well about this) and the struggle to make it in general.

Very good stuff.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p074nkbf

2 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

I’d urge you all to give last night’s episode a listen (well, most of it anyway).

There was a really good chat with Ryan Stevenson, Craig Beattie and Michael Doyle about playing in the lower leagues. It was very open and honest and talked about some of the harsh realities that can come with being a part time player in the lower leagues as well approaching the end of your playing career and having to then sort out a totally new career. They talked about mental health issues they faced as a result (Stevenson in particular was very open and talked well about this) and the struggle to make it in general.

Very good stuff.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p074nkbf

Just listened to that in the office, and I thought it was excellent.  They used to do one night a week of the rest of the leagues, I think Des McKeown was a regular contributor and I always enjoyed it - but their lower league output seemed to totally disappear.  Maybe they've been spurred into action by the reception that the Terrace boys have enjoyed?

1 minute ago, Estragon said:

Just listened to that in the office, and I thought it was excellent.  They used to do one night a week of the rest of the leagues, I think Des McKeown was a regular contributor and I always enjoyed it - but their lower league output seemed to totally disappear.  Maybe they've been spurred into action by the reception that the Terrace boys have enjoyed?

They always do 'Championship Tuesday' but most of the time that means talking about Dundee United and Ayr, with the occasional chat about Ross County. This is because the guests are usually Ian McCall and Robbie Neilson!

There's zero coverage of Leagues 1 and 2, and little to none of most of the Championship.

Just now, DA Baracus said:

They always do 'Championship Tuesday' but most of the time that means talking about Dundee United and Ayr, with the occasional chat about Ross County. This is because the guests are usually Ian McCall and Robbie Neilson!

There's zero coverage of Leagues 1 and 2, and little to none of most of the Championship.

Well aye, as I wrote that I realised that the lower league output changed around the time Rangers went down - so that it became Rangers/Hearts/Hibs/Utd driven.

One of the best I've heard this season was when they did an hour's focus on the Highland Derby - they were at a school up north as I recall?  It's dull hearing about the same clubs all the time.

Scott McDonald just talks in cliches. Comes up with opinions based on no facts whatsoever.

Rangers blah blah blah. Celtic blah blah blah. Old Firm blah blah Rangers blah Celtic blah blah blah.

A competent host would have asked him, in what era was the Scotland team made up of Rangers and Celtic Players.

Also, what youths did Rangers bring through ? The vast majority have been young players bought from other teams.

The guy is clueless.

46 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Scott McDonald reckons that one of the reasons that Scotland are pish and haven't qualified for a tournament since 1998 is that 'Rangers aren't flourishing'.

Are Oceania looking for any more countries to join their federation now the Aussies have left? 

Edited by BoydiesBelly

Not Sportsound, but listened to the Superscoreboard podcast from Tuesday and heard someone come on and have a go (rightly so) about what James McFadden has done as a coach to earn  a place with the national side. Gordon Dalziel then defended him and mentioned that he was one of the 'experts' taking McFadden and others through their UEFA A Licence course.

Gordon fucking Dalziel. 

No wonder we're gubbed as a footballing nation.

9 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

Got into the car tonight to hear a discussion about Arsene Wenger and how finance could be an issue.

Apparently he’d be a great appointment - based on what I know not.

Of course Arsene Wenger would be a great appointment as Scotland manager. I mean, to bring it up as even a remote possibility is mental - but suggesting he'd do well isn't.

Of course Arsene Wenger would be a great appointment as Scotland manager. I mean, to bring it up as even a remote possibility is mental - but suggesting he'd do well isn't.
I'm not sure he has the right attributes for our national team. He's been a fantastic manager, but it's hard to think of a worse fit for the Scotland job.

Can there be a bigger bell-end in all the universe than Peter Houston?

Last night, he kept referring to football people like him realising we can't expect to beat Cyprus 9-0, but that the rest of us will be expecting just that.  He referred to us doing that "30 years ago".  In fact, we beat them 8-0 fully 50 years ago.

He also thought we'd drawn with Lichtenstein in that awful performance under Levein at Hampden.  Houston was assistant manager at the time.

I'm sick of listening to people brought in for their expertise, who are less well informed than most of their audience.  Houston is a cretin.

10 hours ago, pandarilla said:
11 hours ago, BoydiesBelly said:

I'm not sure he has the right attributes for our national team. He's been a fantastic manager, but it's hard to think of a worse fit for the Scotland job.

Alex McLeish?

22 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Can there be a bigger bell-end in all the universe than Peter Houston?

Last night, he kept referring to football people like him realising we can't expect to beat Cyprus 9-0, but that the rest of us will be expecting just that.  He referred to us doing that "30 years ago".  In fact, we beat them 8-0 fully 50 years ago.

He also thought we'd drawn with Lichtenstein in that awful performance under Levein at Hampden.  Houston was assistant manager at the time.

I'm sick of listening to people brought in for their expertise, who are less well informed than most of their audience.  Houston is a cretin.

Houston is the guy who told his Falkirk side to go gung-ho against a tiring, 10 men ICT with 5 minutes to go on the 2015 cup final, instead of doing the sane thing and playing for another 30 minutes to get the win, and got done on the counter :lol:.

A total buffoon.

Chatting about the Scotland debacle Preston suggests that the "big" teams Celtic,Rangers,Hibs and Hearts should be allowed colt teams in the lower leagues cos it works well for the Spanish. Yogi had a different thought suggesting players should do their apprenticeship at clubs like Livi but only when they sign for a Rangers or Celtic should they get a call up for Scotland. Oh dear.