Sportsound Watch

7 minutes ago, The Master said:

Billy Dodds said today we can't have strict liability because all that would happen is "Rangers" fans would go to Celtic games just to cause trouble with the aim of getting them a points deduction. 

giphy.gif 

This utterly spurious shite is gaining a real foothold.

Craig Levein and Kris Boyd have both been quoted as saying much the same thing.  You really do despair that people are so opposed to putting appropriate sanctions and deterrents in place, that they come out with such desperate rubbish.

17 minutes ago, The Master said:

Billy Dodds said today we can't have strict liability because all that would happen is "Rangers" fans would go to Celtic games just to cause trouble with the aim of getting them a points deduction. 

giphy.gif 

Just another normal day then.

I only caught a few minutes of the discussion with Dodds and Houston I think. 

It seemed really strange that they were acknowledging that this has been going on and it is terrible and a blight on the game that needs to be addressed but they never thought to mention it until Clarke and Boyd said what every right thinking fan of a diddy club had been saying for years. 

Its almost as if they and the media have been trying to avoid mentioning sectarianism until they were slapped in the face with it. 

Edited by DumbartonBud
It may have been Duffy rather than Houston.

I listened to Sportsound tonight and they chose the wrong night to discuss sectarianism, with Billy Dodds and Jim Duffy as the guests. Jim Duffy’s solution (seriously) is for more police to be brought in to arrest/throw out the 5 to 50 people in a crowd singing offensive songs. As is usual, neither David Currie nor Dodds pointed out to him that on Wednesday there were almost certainly in excess of 5,000 people singing the offensive song at Steve Clarke. Duffy also said that you can’t close grounds because of “a few” idiots as it will harm the vast majority of decent fans who pay good money to go along to matches. Dodds said that strict liability wouldn’t work because of the mess that the present disciplinary system is in. 

So in summation, both Dodds and Duffy said that something should be done about it, but didn’t really want to try anything that might work. Just utter nonsense from two ex Celtic/Rangers players who really have not got a clue.

One thing that should, but won’t, happen straight away, is that commentators at matches, panels after matches, the written media, have to call out fans of teams who chant sectarian bile, regardless of which team it is. TV and media in general are quick enough to highlight individuals who are caught on camera spouting racist rubbish, so put the cameras on any set of fans who are chanting about F*****s, the Queen, the Pope, whatever, and, try to, shame the clubs involved. That includes every club in the country.

2 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I listened to Sportsound tonight and they chose the wrong night to discuss sectarianism, with Billy Dodds and Jim Duffy as the guests. Jim Duffy’s solution (seriously) is for more police to be brought in to arrest/throw out the 5 to 50 people in a crowd singing offensive songs. As is usual, neither David Currie nor Dodds pointed out to him that on Wednesday there were almost certainly in excess of 5,000 people singing the offensive song at Steve Clarke. Duffy also said that you can’t close grounds because of “a few” idiots as it will harm the vast majority of decent fans who pay good money to go along to matches. Dodds said that strict liability wouldn’t work because of the mess that the present disciplinary system is in. 

So in summation, both Dodds and Duffy said that something should be done about it, but didn’t really want to try anything that might work. Just utter nonsense from two ex Celtic/Rangers players who really have not got a clue.

I couldn’t quiet believe when he suggested he suggested that there should be thousands of police officers in the ground. He didn’t seem to know that it is the clubs that pay for them. 

It was a totally baffling, surreal and waste of time listening to it. 

I really do have difficulty in taking seriously discussions on this with people that have effectively colluded by their silence in perpetuating bigotry. 

30 minutes ago, DumbartonBud said:

I couldn’t quiet believe when he suggested he suggested that there should be thousands of police officers in the ground. He didn’t seem to know that it is the clubs that pay for them. 

I really do have difficulty in taking seriously discussions on this with people that have effectively colluded by their silence in perpetuating bigotry. 

It was probably mostly polis singing the other night tbf.

5 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

If the police feel that they cannot adequately deal with law breaking due to the numbers involved with arse cheek fans, then shutting down parts of the Stadium is the pretty obvious solution.

May cause "Social unrest" though.

The authorities have already demonstrated that they rule according to fear, rather than ethics.

8 hours ago, kingjoey said:

One thing that should, but won’t, happen straight away, is that commentators at matches, panels after matches, the written media, have to call out fans of teams who chant sectarian bile, regardless of which team it is. TV and media in general are quick enough to highlight individuals who are caught on camera spouting racist rubbish, so put the cameras on any set of fans who are chanting about F*****s, the Queen, the Pope, whatever, and, try to, shame the clubs involved. That includes every club in the country.

They are quick to apologise for any offence caused by any swearing picked up. I don't know why much more audible and offensive behaviour isn't mentioned. Regardless of that, King "abhors" sectarianism apparently. If so, he can keep his own house in order with a simple announcement. Next time it happens, close sections of the stadium. The other side can do the same.

I'm sure that the SNP brought in a law deal with offensive behaviour at football and this law was working but one team and one political party spearheaded a campaign to get it repealed....

Bring back the offensive behaviour bill.

Duffy blamed scotgov.

Duffy’s solution was for scotgov to give “the likes of Derek Ferguson” more money.

One of those discussions that was making you more and more infuriated but you couldn’t switch off. The interest to see how more ridiculous the discussion got became too much.

I'm sure that the SNP brought in a law deal with offensive behaviour at football and this law was working but one team and one political party spearheaded a campaign to get it repealed....
Bring back the offensive behaviour bill.

It wasn’t a great bill to be honest, I wasn’t a fan. But until football authorities and football clubs (cough, cough) actually take action it’s probably worth having something in place.

21 hours ago, Green Day said:

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/16114571.investigation-referees-blow-the-whistle-on-unrest/

This is a good assessment of where we actually are with refereeing in this country - ok its from last year -  but I am unsure if anything much has changed. 

Our refs are drawn from 3 associations - and, clue here - the associations are not Edinburgh, Dundee and Aberdeen

Its a farce, and one the Sportsound diddies might want to talk about if they were not so shit scared of Celtic and Rangers

Just for some numbers...

32 Category 1 officials (at start of season) that take charge of SPFL games across the four divisions.

Aberdeen: 2
Angus & Perthshire: 1
Ayrshire: 4
Edinburgh: 3
Glasgow: 14
Lanarkshire: 3
Renfrewshire: 3
South of Scotland: 1
Stirlingshire: 1

But within that, the higher profile top flight refs are from the West associations.

Edited by cmontheloknow

3 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

Just for some numbers...

32 Category 1 officials (at start of season) that take charge of SPFL games across the four divisions.

Aberdeen: 2
Angus & Perthshire: 1
Ayrshire: 4
Edinburgh: 3
Glasgow: 14
Lanarkshire: 3
Renfrewshire: 3
South of Scotland: 1
Stirlingshire: 1

But within that, the higher profile top flight refs are from the West associations.

Cheers for that - it puts a better slant on the numbers.

I (rather predictably) was only really thinking about the top div where - as you point out - the real disparity emerges

9 hours ago, kingjoey said:

They always peddle this 'minority' narrative. We all know the only minority among those supports are the ones who don't take part in the bigotry.

To continually come out with such shite just excuses the guilty and massively downplays the issue.

32 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

It wasn’t a great bill to be honest, I wasn’t a fan. But until football authorities and football clubs (cough, cough) actually take action it’s probably worth having something in place.

I've no real grasp of such matters, but I think it was held to be a poor piece of legislation from a legal viewpoint.

I like the signal its existence sent out though.  Repealing it sends out quite the opposite one.

9 hours ago, DumbartonBud said:

I'm kind of tempted to listen to this now, but don't know if I've the stomach.

The point of course is that these guys - despite or perhaps because they've spent their lives in football - will have literally no insight or knowledge about how such issues might be handled.  Asking for their views is about as valid as asking your cat for hers.