Sportsound Watch

19 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

If that doesn't sum up the line of thinking from the people advocating this then nothing will :lol: 

"On this and on a number of other things, Boyd is confused. On the weekend of the referees' strike in Scotland, Celtic hosted Inverness Caledonian Thistle. Alain Hamer from Luxembourg was in charge and disallowed a perfectly legitimate Celtic goal. The match ended 2-2 and Celtic went on to lose the league to Rangers by one point."

Sorry, can't find the post you've quoted so entered it in brackets.

My memory of the strike is, after all the 'Dougie Dougie' stuff which was obviously just a cockup by the ref, Celtic chairman John Reid came out with some guff about how he just wanted his club "to be treated like all the others". And yes, ICT came back from 2 goals down  with seethe-inducing strikes from Richie Foran and Grant Munro.

2 hours ago, lanky_ffc said:

The Welsh and Irish leagues are largely (exclusively?) part-time. Why do people think their referees will be considerably better than ours?

The worst referee I've ever seen doing a Sons game was Irishman Ben Connolly, who did our tie with Connah's Quay last year. Based on that alone I'd be very, very keen to stick with the Scottish guys (who by and large are pretty decent imo).

As Tom English rightly points out, if our referees are so bad and the Welsh and Irish referees are so good then why do ours keep getting appointing to top UEFA games and the Welsh and Irish referees don't?

UEFA don't have to appoint Collum and co. to their games.  They've got an entire continent to pick from. Yet they do, so as much as we may criticise, they're clearly far from the worst. Indeed, they're arguably the best non-professional referees in Europe.

It's interesting how these things go in cycles though. Almost exactly a year ago we had Graeme Murty calling for full-time refs.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43204326

5 minutes ago, The Master said:

As Tom English rightly points out, if our referees are so bad and the Welsh and Irish referees are so good then why do ours keep getting appointing to top UEFA games and the Welsh and Irish referees don't?

UEFA don't have to appoint Collum and co. to their games.  They've got an entire continent to pick from. Yet they do, so as much as we may criticise, they're clearly far from the worst. Indeed, they're arguably the best non-professional referees in Europe.

It's interesting how these things go in cycles though. Almost exactly a year ago we had Graeme Murty calling for full-time refs.

The English referees who are professional and paid a fortune are among the worst I've seen, I suppose the problem is nowadays that everything is checked, double checked, triple checked, seen from every TV angle and then debated to death in the media and then on social media.

I don't actually believe that our referees are any worse now than they ever were in the past and I also don't believe that they're any worse than their peer group around the main leagues in the world.

Having said that, the lunatic we had at cappielow on Saturday booked a Morton player for a dangerous tackle from behind on our winger but then proceeded to give us throw in as opposed to a free kick which was rather perplexing !!

22 hours ago, The Master said:

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/16114571.investigation-referees-blow-the-whistle-on-unrest/

This is a good assessment of where we actually are with refereeing in this country - ok its from last year -  but I am unsure if anything much has changed. 

Our refs are drawn from 3 associations - and, clue here - the associations are not Edinburgh, Dundee and Aberdeen

Its a farce, and one the Sportsound diddies might want to talk about if they were not so shit scared of Celtic and Rangers

18 minutes ago, Green Day said:

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/16114571.investigation-referees-blow-the-whistle-on-unrest/

This is a good assessment of where we actually are with refereeing in this country - ok its from last year -  but I am unsure if anything much has changed. 

Our refs are drawn from 3 associations - and, clue here - the associations are not Edinburgh, Dundee and Aberdeen

Its a farce, and one the Sportsound diddies might want to talk about if they were not so shit scared of Celtic and Rangers

That article is a bit of an eye opener, no wonder both the bigot brothers are always claiming to be put upon.

3 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

this is quite confusing to me as I went to Inverness Royal Academy.

Royal = Rangers, obviously

IRA = Celtic

It's a tough one.

I went to Culloden Academy.

Non denominational = Rangers

Culloden = Last stand of the Jacobites.

Also confused.

3 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

One of my m8s went to the IRA and has a great time when he tells people not from Inverness he 'was taught by the IRA'.

The best years in my life were when I was a member of the IRA.  I even won a prize one year.

49 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

One of my m8s went to the IRA and has a great time when he tells people not from Inverness he 'was taught by the IRA'.

A course mate at uni went to Belfast Royal Academy, and regularly attempted (failed) to pull by telling girls he had been a long time bra student.

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

Let's not start on the home end at Tynecastle, eh?

Please do. I can't say I've ever seen anyone wearing a non-Hearts top in the home end in all my years of attending matches at Tynecastle.

I’m never sure if the occasional bit of “IRA” graffiti in Inverness is weirdo Highland Celtic fans or weirdo IRA pupils taking pride in their education.

It has also reminded me of the time Celtic fans took a banner to Inverness, boasting about how their “music” had “survived famine and oppression”. Wrong part of the country to pull that one out, meights.