Sportsound Watch

Having conversed with Richard Gordon on the old Twitter I'd say the guy is a bit of an arse he a competent presenter though an arse all the same.

I listened to this for the first time in a while on Saturday and I was a pissed off to hear Willie Miller doing the Saints game, what's that all about? the guy is just a cheer leader is it too much to ask for someone impartial?

Don't expect an impartial and objective account of any game on BBC Sportsound if it involves Aberdeen. Its a Dons love fest. You don't have to listen to it you know - you can always switch off.

Tom English is generally good, but he's guilty of one of my pet hates of Scottish broadcasters. Before the first leg of the Maribor tie he said "We don't know much about this Maribor side" and "We don't know what the standard of Slovenian football is like" - well Tom, it's your job to find out. In the digital age it wouldn't take much to find some Slovenian journalists on Twitter, ask if you can have a chat, and find out more about the side that whichever Scottish team is due to face.

The same goes for the "I'm not even going to try and pronounce that name" patter - once again, it's your job to find that out.

Tom English is generally good, but he's guilty of one of my pet hates of Scottish broadcasters. Before the first leg of the Maribor tie he said "We don't know much about this Maribor side" and "We don't know what the standard of Slovenian football is like" - well Tom, it's your job to find out. In the digital age it wouldn't take much to find some Slovenian journalists on Twitter, ask if you can have a chat, and find out more about the side that whichever Scottish team is due to face.

The same goes for the "I'm not even going to try and pronounce that name" patter - once again, it's your job to find that out.

Yep. And if they are all far too busy to do their homework then there are such beings as researchers that could prepare a briefing for them to glance over before opening their gobs and admitting their ignorance. There really is no excuse for it.

Yep. And if they are all far too busy to do their homework then there are such beings as researchers that could prepare a briefing for them to glance over before opening their gobs and admitting their ignorance. There really is no excuse for it.

In 2014, if anyone is paid to report/comment on football and say things like "i think he scored about 10 goals last season? " etc. I would sack them.

• 4 weeks later...

Don't expect an impartial and objective acount of any game on BBC Sportsound if it involves Aberdeen. Its a Dons love fest. You don't have to listen to it you know - you can always switch off.

Can't agree with this at all. Richard Gordon seems perfectly capable of giving objective reports to me.

Can't agree with this at all. Richard Gordon seems perfectly capable of giving objective reports to me.

He's calmed down a bit now, it was worse in the past, but he tries his best to avoid talking about them when they lose but when they win, it is a love fest basically

• 2 months later...

Chick Young on the verge of tears because people are having a go at his pal Fat Sally.

I'm on my phone just now. If I was on the laptop I would probably do about 1000 words on that piece of radio.

Young is fucking pathetic. Is he even a journalist? I mean does he investigate stories or write thought provoking articles on issues of the day? As far as I can tell the likes of young serve only to exclusively reveal team news read off the team sheet and act as a mouth piece for the old firm.

Anyway it cringey as f**k to hear actual journalists like English and mcglaughlin ragdoll his spurious rice paper arguments.apparently Sally should stay because he knows where the bodies are buried and he is doing a great job.

For decades we have had to put up with Shite like chick young, not on a privately owned tabloid, but on the national broadcaster.

In times gone by I'd perhaps have been angry or annoyed by Young's unprofessional and frankly unjournalistic airtime this afternoon - but actually the sense was more one of pity. His only rationale was to just defend "Ally", and every time he gave a reason why he shouldn't / won't be sacked Richard Gordon, Tom English or Chris McLaughlin tore it up, at which point Chick scrambled-up another amid semi-blubbering, which was itself promptly torn-up, and so on.

It's all the Board's fault; fans are wrong to blame McCoist; he's doing a good job; the reason they won't sack him isn't the £1.5M pricetag, it's as he's "got stories to tell".

Edited by HibeeJibee

I disagree entirely re Allan Preston and Richard Gordon. Ironically in your rant you missed out the worst of them all, Derek Ferguson and Murder McLeod.

Tom English is excellent, as is Richard Wilson.

It's like all shows - has its good and bad.

The real question is, if it annoys you so much, why bother?

This 1 million times, English is amazing as is Paddy Bonner (phew spelt it right...). Murder Mcleod No So much, he's like "er commons must play for Celtic cause erm I don't like Johansens hair"

Richard Gordon is alright but he does just sit in a studio and try to stop it descending into farce.

All the ex-pros are idiots and guys like Preston and Ferguson really need to learn how to enunciate to save us from listening to incoherent nonsense. John Robertson and Willie Miller are unbearable - Miller can't say a bad word against Aberdeen, and Robertson detests Ross County to the point that his match reports and updates bear no resemblance to what is actually happening on the park.

Chick Young's whiny voice is annoying, as is his "trying too hard" support of Saint Mirren. Jim Spence seems nice enough and doesn't pander to the OF but he's dreadful. Scott Davie saps any enthusiasm I have for life. The other journalists they have on are just awful. Tom English should stick to egg-chasing, and for reasons I'm still not sure about I find Spiers to be an unbearable w****r. Maybe he is?

The live commentary isn't great. McLeod screeches at anything, Rob McLean is a bit clueless, and Murdo MacLeod is an idiot.

Unfortunately, it's the only real coverage we have on matchday other than the brief "Sportscene Results" which is equally as bad, if not worse with its selection of pundits. Paterson is inoffensive but more than a bit dim. Ewan Murray is a total c**t and I can only assume that he knows his golf because he certainly isn't employed for his football knowledge. Michael Stewart seems like a likeable guy but he doesn't offer any actual insight. Pat Bonner apparently supports Celtic, but I really wouldn't have guessed that. And Jonathan Sutherland? Harmless enough but his eyes seem to pierce your soul. Pat Nevin knows his stuff but by Christ he's boring.

And despite all this, it was actually worse when we had Sandra Brown screaming over every Queen of the South throw in the opposition.

The BBC is dreadful for Scottish football. Yet, paranoid as it sounds, it's worse if you support a team from outside the central belt. ICT and Ross County have received disgraceful coverage over the past few seasons.

Sarcasm or genuine opinion? If sarcasm not sure cause that doesn't come across as easily online as it would in the "real world".

As a general rule, anyone referred to by their nickname on a sports show is a moron employed purely on the old pals act. 'Biscuits' and 'Doddsy' (admittedly I'm not sure adding y to someone's name constitutes a nickname, but still) being the Sportsound culprits.

Richard Gordon is decent at holding the show together, his judgement of football is horrendous though, particularly regarding Aberdeen. He was telling us that Reynolds was Scotland's best defender before the Georgia game, and was one of those Dons fans saying that Russell Anderson should have been a starter for Scotland years ago. I don't really blame him for that though, most football fans are deluded when it comes to their own club and in general his bias doesn't show.

I agree with the comment earlier about Derek Ferguson's enthusiasm, he sounds thick as mince and doesn't really offer much insight but he sounds enthusiastic in a way that doesn't grate on you - unlike Liam Macleod.