Sportsound Watch

19 hours ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Enjoyed the wee disagreement with Stewart and McDonald, hated the brush over about the Lisbon lions caps total.  

Without being disrespectful to Celtics European Cup winning legends - I probably speak for fans of most clubs outside of Glasgow by saying  dont be looking for any kind of sympathy for this.

History is littered with players who only became consistently "International Class" once they signed for Celtic or Rangers.

Guest Moomintroll
Without being disrespectful to Celtics European Cup winning legends - I probably speak for fans of most clubs outside of Glasgow by saying  dont be looking for any kind of sympathy for this.
History is littered with players who only became consistently "International Class" once they signed for Celtic or Rangers.
You also have to consider that there were fewer International games back then & the ridiculous amount of top class Scottish players playing for clubs in England. You could have named a third choice eleven that would have hammered what we are left with nowadays.

3 hours ago, Green Day said:

Waves to Jack Hendry and his 3 caps...

Guest Moomintroll
Certainly no sympathy just FACT,
 Celtic’s all conquering Lisbon Lions side won a combined total won 114 caps.
Willy, take some time & look back at the players eligible for Scotland at the time, it is quite awe inspiring. Take a look as well as to how little international matches were actually being played. In the modern era of number of matches being played it would be 300+ caps, who knows how many caps they would have won with their abilities & rule changes in the modern era.

2 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:
20 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:
Certainly no sympathy just FACT,
 Celtic’s all conquering Lisbon Lions side won a combined total won 114 caps.

Willy, take some time & look back at the players eligible for Scotland at the time, it is quite awe inspiring. Take a look as well as to how little international matches were actually being played. In the modern era of number of matches being played it would be 300+ caps, who knows how many caps they would have won with their abilities & rule changes in the modern era.

Listen I have looked back and I can give you some examples Billy McNeil got 13 caps winning silverware all over the place.
His direct opponent was McKinnon with 28 caps, the same goes with jinky and Bobby Lennox.

5 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Listen I have looked back and I can give you some examples Billy McNeil got 13 caps winning silverware all over the place.
His direct opponent was McKinnon with 28 caps, the same goes with jinky and Bobby Lennox.

I thought McNeil got 29 caps.

Guest Moomintroll
Jinky had a long list of disciplinary issues that did not endear him to the SFA stuffed shirts, although Willie Henderson could run him close on those stakes, Big Jock wanted to kill him on a semi regular basis. Ronnie McKinnon won more caps, was that because of institutional bias or because they wanted a club pairing of him with John Greig? I have no idea to be honest. As for Lemon, he is my late mums cousin, consider the guys who were playing then, St John, Gilzean, Law & all the rest. If I am being honest I would have loved the Lions, even just once, to have represented Scotland en masse but for various reasons it was never going to happen. Forget the political or religious point scoring however & just remember how many fantastic players we had back then, pick a Scottish XI from England & they would have probably beaten Celtic or Rangers more often or not, remember the best players were down there for the money & that makes what the Lions did even more remarkable.

5 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

Ronnie McKinnon won more caps, was that because of institutional bias or because they wanted a club pairing of him with John Greig?

Look I never mentioned the booing of Celtic players,I was looking at their outstanding qualities and ability of that time.
Lennox had everything pace touch and a eye for goal,the caps these guys got were woefully low.
When you talk about institutional bias Jimmy McGrory and Bertie Auld has the best case. 

Guest Moomintroll
Look I never mentioned the booing of Celtic players,I was looking at their outstanding qualities and ability of that time.
Lennox had everything pace touch and a eye for goal,the caps these guys got were woefully low.
When you talk about institutional bias Jimmy McGrory and Bertie Auld has the best case. 
Especially with regards to Jimmy McGrory, I agree. Stop typing like Derek Ferguson.

11 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

How old are you? Surely not old enough to have watched the Lisbon Lions play.

32 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:
36 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Especially with regards to Jimmy McGrory, I agree. Stop typing like Derek Ferguson.

Ouch!The same debates can be seen today with Robertson and Tierney or Jardine and McGrain but we know the game was different back then.

13 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

There's no debate over Tierney and Robertson whatsoever.

Agree with that.

Likewise there  was no debate either about Jardine or McGrain - McGrain was far superior but he was also very comfortable at left back for a right footed player (just like Tommy Gemmell) which allowed us to play them both. 

21 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

In the same way as the lisbon lions for the level that they played at?

The first game I can remember was Celtic v Dundee in 78 celtic won 7-1.

What's that got to do with who's the better player between Tierney and Robertson (obviously Robertson)?

EDIT: So if your first game was in 78 then it's fair to say you're not a fair judge of who were the better players at the time. My old man tells me the majority of the Aberdeen 83 team should have had more caps. It's not something I can really have an opinion on as my first game was around a decade later.

Edited by Merkland Red