Sportsound Watch

Shockingly Packie Bonner said that because McLeish got us to the playoffs he should have been allowed to stay on for them. He also argued it was an achievement to get us to the playoffs by stating that Ireland never managed it.
Dodds said McLeish should have gotten a couple more games but then actually went on to speak sense by saying the SFA shouldn't go for the cheap option (Gemmil and/or Makay) and backed Clarke. He also mentioned 'health issues' about McLeish but never elaborated.
After him saying that, I assume that Bonner would want to capitalise on the SFA's 'mistake' and champion McLeish to get the Republic of Ireland job, or even the Celtic one? Bonner is so thick he actually might, I doubt it though. Bewildering doesn't even cover it.

We could have a whole thread on the ignorance of Packy Bonner. He may know all about Celtic but has no idea about other teams. I was listening before and after a game against St Mirren as Bonner was constantly being corrected and helped out by Richard Gordon. There are only 12 managers in the Premiership Packy so at least get to know their names if you are going to get paid to comment on them. He states the bleedin obvious, generally agrees with everyone else and never says anything even vaguely controversial (besides his lack of knowledge on opposition teams, form, history etc).

Brechin take the lead today. Richard Gordon updates the goal, and starts a long dissection of the situation at the bottom of League 1 between them and Stenny, and how the 2 play each other next week.

After about 30 secs, Billy Dodds butts on to announce that Brechin had scored. Not another goal, the one that Gordon was already talking about.

Fool.

1 hour ago, pandarilla said:

Nobody corrected Gordon when he said Morton and Dunfermline would not be safe on 31. (At least they hadn't by the end of the matches)

It's an easy mistake to make, but how the f**k can they not correct that?

To be fair we'd both be fucked on 31.

10 hours ago, NorthBank said:

We could have a whole thread on the ignorance of Packy Bonner. He may know all about Celtic...

He doesn't convey a great deal of wisdom about them either. Absolutely useless.

Guest JTS98

I'm sure Bonner is a very nice man. Everyone seems to think so.

But it's impossible to see what he brings to the role of broadcasting on a show about Scottish football.

He knows absolutely hee haw about 41 of the 42 teams in the league and even his views on the one team he is an 'expert' on are at times baffling. His insights as an ex-player rarely go beyond the utterly banal 'Now they have to lift themselves for next week, and that's not easy' etc.

They would genuinely be better just punting him and getting me in. I could do that job a million times better than Bonner. So could plenty of posters on here or punters selected from the crowds of Scottish grounds. He knows almost nothing about the subject he is (presumably) paid to talk about.

1 hour ago, EdinburghLivi said:

Yogi asking why Matt Doherty hasn't been called up to the Scotland squad when he's performing so well in the Premier League.

:lol:

Did anyone point out the obvious to him?

4 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

To be fair to Bonner, he does have one of the least annoying voices on a program where most of the correspondents try their best to sound like a teenage girl finding a spider when a goal goes in.

No he doesn't. He's of the same mould as Chick Young, who in their old age can't actually articulate words properly when they're excited or describing any kind of action. Never mind his inability to pronounce the names of Celtic's players properly. 

Ferguson and Preston might be idiots, but you can understand the things they say. 

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

:lol:

Did anyone point out the obvious to him?

I think someone was about to but they were cut off by some other rambling.

This is the man who many idiots are backing to be Scotland manager.

Edited by EdinburghLivi

Guest JTS98
8 hours ago, EdinburghLivi said:

I think someone was about to but they were cut off by some other rambling.

This is the man who many idiots are backing to be Scotland manager.

He kens the boooaayyzz, ken?

I’d prefer it if they didn’t assign the same pundits to the same team all the time.  Been a long time since Willie Miller ( Praise be upon Him) offered anything remotely original or insightful about Aberdeen.  Same goes for Bonner with Ugly Sister #1 and Alan Preston with Hearts.

I know there are probably sound financial reasons for giving the pundits games close to where they live , but I think it’d be an improvement if  the pundits were more randomly assigned around the grounds 

1 minute ago, A96 said:

I’d prefer it if they didn’t assign the same pundits to the same team all the time.  Been a long time since Willie Miller ( Praise be upon Him) offered anything remotely original or insightful about Aberdeen.  Same goes for Bonner with Ugly Sister #1 and Alan Preston with Hearts.

I know there are probably sound financial reasons for giving the pundits games close to where they live , but I think it’d be an improvement if  the pundits were more randomly assigned around the grounds 

Problem is Bonner in particular is already an awful pundit when Celtic are involved so I can’t imagine what he’ll be like regularly covering teams he has no interest in. It might give him an opportunity to learn some/any of the players names I suppose.

2 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

Problem is Bonner in particular is already an awful pundit when Celtic are involved so I can’t imagine what he’ll be like regularly covering teams he has no interest in. It might give him an opportunity to learn some/any of the players names I suppose.

Aye , Bonner should really just be dumped altogether