Sportsound Watch

Guest JTS98
On 4/20/2019 at 02:08, DA Baracus said:

Oh and a foreign manager, which to be fair none of them ruled out, would apparently not know the players enough for the next two games.

Which reminds me, a guy at work genuinely said we shouldn't go for a foreign manager because it never worked with Vogts. I replied that we should then never again appoint a Scottish manager given how many have failed.

I'm constantly amazed by how often this line is used.

Professional football coaches are regularly hired the world over to coach sides they don't know in countries they don't know. Professional football coaches have expertise and contact networks - not to mention work ethics - that allow them to very quickly get up to speed with what they have.

I saw some dithering simpleton on Twitter (a BBC employee I think) last week suggest that Slaven Bilic would face difficulty in getting to know the players. Fucking Slaven Bilic! A man with contacts the world over who has worked extensively in the UK. Apparently between now and the play-offs he would find it difficult to find out information about Scotland's players. Almost like he doesn't have a laptop that can play dvds or the ability to go to matches or have conversations with his network of coaches, managers and scouts.

In many walks of life people are hired into management roles from outside an organisation. Getting up to speed on how things work is what they are paid for and the ability to do that is why they are hired. Especially in football where those from a good level have such a big range of contacts and sources to draw on.

So, yeah, let's just give it to Malky McKay... He knows the boys...

It's just ex-players, mostly who are as thick as mince, championing their mate to get a job.  

Their reasoning is fucking wild.  'He will know the players' is not a reason to give the job to a Scot over a non-Scot or non-Brit.   It's the most illogical reasoning I could think of.   Actually, in McKay's case, him hating homosexuals and Asians too, I suppose.

Guest Moomintroll
It's just ex-players, mostly who are as thick as mince, championing their mate to get a job.  
Their reasoning is fucking wild.  'He will know the players' is not a reason to give the job to a Scot over a non-Scot or non-Brit.   It's the most illogical reasoning I could think of.   Actually, in McKay's case, him hating homosexuals and Asians too, I suppose.
Given how shite the peepul who "know the players" have been, that is a compelling reason to bring in someone who can objectively view them & adjust the squad & tactics accordingly.

1 minute ago, Moomintroll said:
7 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Given how shite the peepul who "know the players" have been, that is a compelling reason to bring in someone who can objectively view them & adjust the squad & tactics accordingly.

Indeed.  Objectivity has never been a strong point in Scottish football.

I'd argue that it would be good starting off not knowing the players, as the manager would then do their own research and come to their own conclusions. They might see things in different players that weren't noticed before for example.

Guest Moomintroll
Indeed.  Objectivity has never been a strong point in Scottish football.
Why be objective when you have a platform & you know your mate needs a job?

14 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

It is exactly this.

There's a lot of spurious accusations of racism and discrimination out there these days, but someone going on mainstream media and word for word saying something like 'we can't have a foreigner because we had one once before and it didn't work' is absolutely ludicrous. The only way that argument has any credence is if the guy doesn't speak a word of English.

Guest Moomintroll
I'd argue that it would be good starting off not knowing the players, as the manager would then do their own research and come to their own conclusions. They might see things in different players that weren't noticed before for example.
See also utter huddys Lee McCulloch signed/What SSC & Lord Dyer made of same players.

Just now, Moomintroll said:
9 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

See also utter huddys Lee McCulloch signed/What SSC & Lord Dyer made of same players.

Indeed and a good example.

Guest Moomintroll
Indeed and a good example.
As weird as it may seem, Lee McCulloch clearly knows what good looks like but has no idea how to coach them into a cohesive unit. He may actually be a good shout as DOF for Doondee or similar,if,they can get a semi competent Manager.

On 25/04/2019 at 01:56, NEFarab said:

Great insight from Kenny Miller tonight telling us the next Scotland manager needs to be “good.”

Aye but in fairness , the point about whether the manager should be Scottish had been raised and Miller said that the main thing is that he needs to be a good manager , no matter where he comes from.  So he was really addressing that point by stating the bleeding obvious.

On ‎19‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 19:14, BoydiesBelly said:

Was Derek Ferguson, but doesn't make the suggestion any less mental. But him and his wife decided out in the garden that Robbo is the best man so that's it settled as far as I'm concerned. 

I really love Derek Ferguson for this kind of chat, and he's exactly the same on Si Ferry.  There's very often these wee windows into the domestic life of the Ferguson household, and it just sounds like such a lovely wee environment.

Regardless of whether I agree with their selection, there's something about the image of Mr and Mrs Ferguson sitting out the back with a glass of wine discussing who should be next in the firing line that really warms me.  Similarly when he talks about "oor Lewis" popping in, it's like they're in a Sunday teatime drama.

16 minutes ago, Estragon said:

I really love Derek Ferguson for this kind of chat, and he's exactly the same on Si Ferry.  There's very often these wee windows into the domestic life of the Ferguson household, and it just sounds like such a lovely wee environment.

Regardless of whether I agree with their selection, there's something about the image of Mr and Mrs Ferguson sitting out the back with a glass of wine discussing who should be next in the firing line that really warms me.  Similarly when he talks about "oor Lewis" popping in, it's like they're in a Sunday teatime drama.

The Fergusons enjoying an alfresco aperitif during the recent fine spell.

images.jpeg.jpg

23 minutes ago, Estragon said:

"In the Garden with the Fergusons" has real potential, if anyone can be arsed.