Sportsound Watch

49 minutes ago, yoda said:

A good example is what happened when County sacked Jim McIntyre. A poster on here was invited on Sportsound (via Twitter) to discuss the sacking: he had seen the majority of games under McIntyre, and was obviously well placed to comment on the sacking. Michael Stewart, or Tom English, or some other hapless idiot then tried to take issue with what he was saying - despite having only seen County whenever they were on TV.  It was essentially "little Ross County should be grateful that Jim McIntyre won you a trophy, never mind the off field issues, the shite football, and the obvious downward trajectory he's got you in".  

After that it felt like every week there was a dig at County. "Oh they're still shite, shouldn't have sacked your 'Greatest Manager Ever'". Well no, they shouldn't have replaced him with Owen Coyle.

The follow-up article with McIntyre was a great laugh. "Roy phoned me up and said that he made a mistake". Did he f**k.  "I've been doing oddjobs around the place to support my family". Boo hoo. It's delightful to see him making a complete mess of Dundee.

IIRC, the Terrace podcast guys basically said what most County fans said - "Thanks for the memories but it was really time to go"

One thing you realise pretty quickly is that for most of the media nobody gives a f**k or knows anything about County or Caley or any club like that.  They will look at the very high level stats - McIntyre won a trophy and that's that, rather than take into account what actually happened.  We went through a phase of being really poor at home but excellent away from home we'd still regularly be told in the press that Caley Stadium was always a difficult place to visit etc.

There's also a narrative that sacking managers is always bad, mainly driven by the prevelance of ex players and managers in punditry positions.

55 minutes ago, yoda said:

A good example is what happened when County sacked Jim McIntyre. A poster on here was invited on Sportsound (via Twitter) to discuss the sacking: he had seen the majority of games under McIntyre, and was obviously well placed to comment on the sacking. Michael Stewart, or Tom English, or some other hapless idiot then tried to take issue with what he was saying - despite having only seen County whenever they were on TV.  It was essentially "little Ross County should be grateful that Jim McIntyre won you a trophy, never mind the off field issues, the shite football, and the obvious downward trajectory he's got you in".  

After that it felt like every week there was a dig at County. "Oh they're still shite, shouldn't have sacked your 'Greatest Manager Ever'". Well no, they shouldn't have replaced him with Owen Coyle.

The follow-up article with McIntyre was a great laugh. "Roy phoned me up and said that he made a mistake". Did he f**k.  "I've been doing oddjobs around the place to support my family". Boo hoo. It's delightful to see him making a complete mess of Dundee.

IIRC, the Terrace podcast guys basically said what most County fans said - "Thanks for the memories but it was really time to go"

Replace McIntyre with Hughes, County with ICT and Tom English with Alan "Biscuits" Preston and you've got the exact same scenario with us from 2016.

Same with Garry Bollan at Forfar a few months back, cant remember how they got onto the subject, possibly just the League 1 promotion race this season.  Anyway he got them promoted in 2017 and was then miles out of his depth with them in League 1,  Got pumped 6-0 off someone, can't mind who, and got the sack.  This came after a very poor run of results too.

The pundits, mates of Bollan of course. were giving it the 'he got your pishy, diddy club promoted, how fucking dare you sack him'.

4 hours ago, TheScarf said:

The media's relationship with footballers and managers in Scotland is stark contract to other countries IMO.  Up here they;re all pals and the hacks try their hardest to get their pals into jobs.  Elsewhere it's story after story about how fucking shite a player or a manager is, and they (usually rightfully) campaign to get them sacked or dropped from the team for someone clearly better.

I don't think it's an exclusively Scottish phenomenon, although it's very prevalent up here.  There's a wee group of managers in England that are on the merry-go-round of

Appointed > Generally do abysmally > Sacked > Take a break from the game > Start appearing on Goals on Sunday / Sky Sports News > SSN then links them with jobs > Appointed > ...

Rinse and repeat.

21 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

I don't think it's an exclusively Scottish phenomenon, although it's very prevalent up here.  There's a wee group of managers in England that are on the merry-go-round of

Appointed > Generally do abysmally > Sacked > Take a break from the game > Start appearing on Goals on Sunday / Sky Sports News > SSN then links them with jobs > Appointed > ...

Rinse and repeat.

Ah the Sam Allardyce/Neil Warnock/Alan Pardew/Steve Bruce formula.

Replace McIntyre with Hughes, County with ICT and Tom English with Alan "Biscuits" Preston and you've got the exact same scenario with us from 2016.
Or us with McNamara in 2015, and the c**t didn't even manage to win us a trophy

Same with Garry Bollan at Forfar a few months back, cant remember how they got onto the subject, possibly just the League 1 promotion race this season.  Anyway he got them promoted in 2017 and was then miles out of his depth with them in League 1,  Got pumped 6-0 off someone, can't mind who, and got the sack.  This came after a very poor run of results too.
The pundits, mates of Bollan of course. were giving it the 'he got your pishy, diddy club promoted, how fucking dare you sack him'.
I remember that, he got us promoted so we should be grateful, despite a huge list of issues:

Getting relegated in the first place
An abysmal cup record (losing to Linlithgow in a replay after being 3-1 against 10 men in the first place, losing to Formartine)
Lack of plan B and avoiding making subs
Bottling league 2 title
Changing our approach to go more defensive when cruising to the title
Falling out with players
Bizarre karaoke rendition of we didn't start the fire
Set for relegation from league 1.

Since leaving we have managed to survive relegation and are all but certain to be in the promotion play offs. How many of the Sportsound team even know that? Richard Gordon probably and Jim Spence but it wouldn't surprise me if the rest didn't. They'd probably struggle to even name a player.

4 hours ago, Sarto Mutiny said:
7 hours ago, RiG said:

Or us with McNamara in 2015, and the c**t didn't even manage to win us a trophy

There was folk on Radio Scotland (probably Chick Young) calling for Paul Hartley to get the Hearts job when Cathro got sacked.  Same goes for the ones calling for Barry Ferguson to get the Rangers job, despite being sacked by Clyde a few months earlier.  

3 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

Tonight - a long debate on how the team that routinely pump everyone else, win all the trophies and have much more money than everyone will rebuild and ensure they are stronger next season.

No mention of their scumbag fans?

6 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Ah the Sam Allardyce/Neil Warnock/Alan Pardew/Steve Bruce formula.

When has Sam Allardyce generally done abysmally leading to being sacked?

Tonight - a long debate on how the team that routinely pump everyone else, win all the trophies and have much more money than everyone will rebuild and ensure they are stronger next season.

Good. Now that Messi is getting on a wee bit, Barcelona really need to jemmy open that biscuit tin.
[emoji383][emoji383][emoji383][emoji383][emoji383][emoji383]

There was folk on Radio Scotland (probably Chick Young) calling for Paul Hartley to get the Hearts job when Cathro got sacked.  Same goes for the ones calling for Barry Ferguson to get the Rangers job, despite being sacked by Clyde a few months earlier.  
I was all for Barry getting the job, they'd be straight back down into the seaside leagues without all the liquidation stuff.

I read on the League 2 forum that they didn't even mention the result of Clydes appeal last night.  A decision which greatly affects the league season at both ends of the table not even being mentioned is pathetic.

21 hours ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Rinse and repeat.

Gary Rowett and Steve McLaren prime examples.

19 hours ago, LoonsYouthTeam said:

Maybe. It probably helps him that he's surrounded my morons so sounds better by comparison.

Yep, the old Jim Cornette story again - 

'I used to think you were a dumb fuck, but so many dumb fucks have come along since, you've moved up the ladder without doing anything'.