Sportsound Watch

6 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Except you and I know full well why god save the queen is sung by your support.

Lot of bears are sex pistols fans, true story.

8 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

It always amazes me* that Rangers/Sevco fans will happily defend things like the Orange strips because they have fans in the Orange Order and support Unionism, even claiming that the Orange Order aren't a sectarian organisation but then in the same breath say that folk singing "sad O***** B*****d" in a song is sectarian and as bad as the "sad F***** B*****d" version. So is Orange OK or not OK?

*not amazed

Context old buoy, context.

An example would be a celtic fan referring to himself as an unrepentant ....... Or singing about being part an F word army... . While someone calling him a dirty F word B....... would be a completely different context and bigoted.

If you need any help figuring it out send me a pm.

A proportion of Rangers fans have felt strongly about the 1688 Revolution for a long time - and that centres around Westminster.  Recently, a fair few Rangers fans feel strongly about the attempt to partition Britain - and that again is a Westminster issue.  So making it about 'the island of Ireland' is rather dismissive.
Being a Loyalist/Unionist does not make you sectarian but, sadly, does attract a sectarian element.  I think the club does need to be much clearer on what is acceptable and what is not.
I don't claim to know much about history, but why would fans of a Scottish football club feel more strongly about an event in one foreign country, centred around a parliament in another foreign country than literally anything else, ever in the history of the world?

Just listened to sportsound after getting home from tannadice. 

Thought it was quite funny hearing Greg Tansey saying he hoped Inverness get promoted when it’s likely to be his side they’d play in the playoff final.

On 21/01/2019 at 19:17, Bairnardo said:

It means we would have to win 8 of 15 just to level with them and Partick would have to win 9 of 15.

Alloa have won 5 games since then, and are still only 3 points clear of relegation with 3 matches remaining. The target of 6 wins for safety therefore seems entirely reasonable (as it did at the time).

Whilst we're discussing Chick and the BBC can we please just all take a moment to appreciate the greatest piece of sports journalism of all time?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/p/partick_thistle/3299025.stm
The tear stained, full of made-up anecdotes homage to his best friend.

"Cuddly toy of Scottish football". The editor allowed that to be printed?

4 hours ago, BoydiesBelly said:

Whilst we're discussing Chick and the BBC can we please just all take a moment to appreciate the greatest piece of sports journalism of all time?

He’s hated us passionately ever since.

Which is nice.

'Just' 14 weeks in which his team played 15 games, won 0, drew 3 (Motherwell, Livingston and Peterhead) and lost the rest. 14 goals for, 36 against.

I do wonder why he was sacked.

Edited by DA Baracus

Been a while since I read that

The Monday morning after the day on which Partick Thistle sacked Gerry Collins, a multi-storey car park in the heart of Glasgow, a down-and-out sits in the corner begging for coins from passers-by. As the now also unemployed football manager walks past, he drops a fiver into the man's cap.

But in a flash the bloke gets up, chases after Collins and forces it back into his hand. "Here, Gerry, you're going to need it more than me."

Even in his darkest hour the big man had to laugh. And that says much for someone who has been so outrageously treated by a board of directors who have acted shamefully.

:lol: Of course he did, Chick.

16 hours ago, BoydiesBelly said:

Birthday card pish.

The media's relationship with footballers and managers in Scotland is stark contract to other countries IMO.  Up here they;re all pals and the hacks try their hardest to get their pals into jobs.  Elsewhere it's story after story about how fucking shite a player or a manager is, and they (usually rightfully) campaign to get them sacked or dropped from the team for someone clearly better.

A good example is what happened when County sacked Jim McIntyre. A poster on here was invited on Sportsound (via Twitter) to discuss the sacking: he had seen the majority of games under McIntyre, and was obviously well placed to comment on the sacking. Michael Stewart, or Tom English, or some other hapless idiot then tried to take issue with what he was saying - despite having only seen County whenever they were on TV.  It was essentially "little Ross County should be grateful that Jim McIntyre won you a trophy, never mind the off field issues, the shite football, and the obvious downward trajectory he's got you in".  

After that it felt like every week there was a dig at County. "Oh they're still shite, shouldn't have sacked your 'Greatest Manager Ever'". Well no, they shouldn't have replaced him with Owen Coyle.

The follow-up article with McIntyre was a great laugh. "Roy phoned me up and said that he made a mistake". Did he f**k.  "I've been doing oddjobs around the place to support my family". Boo hoo. It's delightful to see him making a complete mess of Dundee.

IIRC, the Terrace podcast guys basically said what most County fans said - "Thanks for the memories but it was really time to go"