Sportsound Watch

Just now, kingjoey said:

How do they work, then?

People can have an opinion on whatever they want.

Shite like Capital FM is a load of bollocks. I've just criticised it but I don't finance it.

I don't pay for Sky but there's been times when I've seen a game at a friend's house or in the pub and thought the commentators have been shit.

I despise Sevco and Celtic and criticise them often but I don't finance them.

There are things my work does that I criticise but I don't fund my work.

And so on.

1 hour ago, Crawford Bridge said:

Why the f**k would I pay for something I don't have to? It's an illegal, forced subscription and anybody who pays for one is a total mug.

I bet you believe in detector vans?

So you've no tv's in the house then I assume?? * 

If you do have tv signal receiving equipment in your house then you're liable to pay the licence. Illegal not to pay FWIW. It's really very simple in that respect. Hardly "an illegal, forced subscription" as you put it. 

Also, as an aside, it's next to f**k all a month and whilst I acknowledge the 'detector van man' is unlikely to be queuing up at the door should I not pay it, I'd rather avoid the possibility of the hassle. That and I don't really grudge it. 

Oh and Sportsound aside, the BBC does output some decent (IMO) stuff on the radio and tv. Killing Eve, Baptiste and Line of Duty my current favourites. 

*No need to answer, I'm really not that bothered if you have. Or not. Or pay the licence fee. Or not. 

Carry on. 

:) 

35 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I’m not saying that you pay the licence fee, it’s your choice. What I’m saying is that if you choose not to pay the fee, don’t criticise the programmes, leave that to people who finance them.

Does this work both ways? Am I allowed to praise the stuff I like e.g. David Attenborough and Alan Partridge?

1 minute ago, Trackdaybob said:

If you do have tv signal receiving equipment in your house then you're liable to pay the licence. Illegal not to pay FWIW. It's really very simple in that respect. Hardly "an illegal, forced subscription" as you put it. 

Also, as an aside, it's next to f**k all a month and whilst I acknowledge the 'detector van man' is unlikely to be queuing up at the door should I not pay it, I'd rather avoid the possibility of the hassle. That and I don't really grudge it. 

Oh and Sportsound aside, the BBC does output some decent (IMO) stuff on the radio and tv. Killing Eve, Baptiste and Line of Duty my current favourites. 

*No need to answer, I'm really not that bothered if you have. Or not. Or pay the licence fee. Or not. 

Carry on. 

Without getting into a debate about it all you have to do is phone them every two years and ask to be taken off their database, it's that simple.

They cannot enforce it, I've never paid it in my 35 years on this planet.

6 minutes ago, Crawford Bridge said:

Without getting into a debate about it all you have to do is phone them every two years and ask to be taken off their database, it's that simple.

What a rebel. Either that, or your folks pay it.

2 minutes ago, Crawford Bridge said:

Whilst that's fair enough. Do you watch or record tv whilst it is being broadcast? If you are then you're liable to pay the licence fee. Not that you care of course :) 

If you're streaming or watching catch up (apart from BBC I player of course) then all is good in the hood so to speak. 

Years ago, I was of a similar attitude to yourself but I've chilled out as I've got older and really don't mind paying it. Whilst a lot of the BBC stuff is shit, you get the gems that easily surpass the constant stream of 'must see' pish on netflix and amazon for example. If you ask me, they've got as much nerve charging for some of the pish they churn out. 

For me, easier to pay and just switch on and watch what I want. When I want. 

10 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

What a rebel. Either that, or your folks pay it.

Hardly being a rebel. Just letting it be known you don't have to pay the TV tax if you don't want to.

It takes about 5 minutes worth of research to discover their scare tactics are not based in law and they can't touch you unless you're daft enough to play their game.

The BBC has a commercial arm that makes plenty selling to foreign markets, they'll survive. 

Edited by Crawford Bridge

2 hours ago, Green Day said:

with zero thought....... Orange strips, strips with sashes on them?

Neither of which have any sectarian connotations:lol:

I've walked in a few and watched many Orangey parades in Scotland I can't recall a single sash being worn.  OTOH lots of teams both in Scotland and elsewhere have sported a sash on their kit.  Why are you trying to conflate the two?

1 minute ago, The_Kincardine said:

I've walked in a few and watched many Orangey parades in Scotland I can't recall a single sash being worn.  OTOH lots of teams both in Scotland and elsewhere have sported a sash on their kit.  Why are you trying to conflate the two?

The sash your mother wore?

59 minutes ago, Crawford Bridge said:

Hardly being a rebel. Just letting it be known you don't have to pay the TV tax if you don't want to.

It takes about 5 minutes worth of research to discover their scare tactics are not based in law and they can't touch you unless you're daft enough to play their game.

The BBC has a commercial arm that makes plenty selling to foreign markets, they'll survive. 

That discussion has just reminded me that there is still far to many  subservient plebs in Scotland.

1 hour ago, Trackdaybob said:

Carry on. 

You don't need a license to listen to the radio. The bit about having receiving equipment in your house is a myth too. It's whether you watch or record live tv that matters.

6 hours ago, Green Day said:

Until and unless the toxic sectarianism that is part of Rangers and Celtic fans is put front and centre of this debate, then the wee p***ks throwing stuff at Easter Road, Tynecastle, Fir Park or wherever will feel they have some justification in saying "f**k you" to Leeann Dempster, Anne Budge, and Alan Burrows when asked to behave.

Mikey Stewart believes if he keeps it in the news people in the right places will have to listen.
I disagree that sectarian singing has anything to do with wee fannies kicking off in other parts of the country.

9 hours ago, craigkillie said:

How can strict liability for singing possibly exist without a clear idea of what is and isn't acceptable?

This is a sensible point but you won't get any sort of reasonable answer.  If I read back through the past few pages the notion of SL seems to be about a few Rangers songs/chants and absolutely nothing to do with fans of diddy clubs behaving in a racists/violent/abuse manner as we've seen of late.

2 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

This is a sensible point but you won't get any sort of reasonable answer.  If I read back through the past few pages the notion of SL seems to be about a few Rangers songs/chants and absolutely nothing to do with fans of diddy clubs behaving in a racists/violent/abuse manner as we've seen of late.

.......or, in the real world, its about all of these things, but we all know that the one issue which is most prevalent and causes the most problems will be the one which is not acted upon - which is exactly why the Ayr Utd director said that no sensible club director would vote for SL until and unless it is clear what the implications are.

So, if Hibs are deducted 3 points for one arsehole jumping on to kick the ball away from Tavernier, what is the punishment for 4000 of your neanderthal fans singing sectarian songs?

Relegation?