Sportsound Watch

1 hour ago, BoydiesBelly said:

Back on topic - great to hear the immortal words of "But first, Rangers..." come out of Kenny Macintyre's mouth tonight. 

I've emailed him and explained that it's Sevco now, he won't make that mistake again.

Ian McCall saying he doesn't EVER allow Jamie Adams to play on artificial surfaces because of the effect that it has on his joints...

...seconds before he states that he trains on astro once a week.

No challenge from the rest of the panel.

Ian McCall saying he doesn't EVER allow Jamie Adams to play on artificial surfaces because of the effect that it has on his joints...

Big difference between playing a competitive match on an artificial pitch and training on it.

1 hour ago, ftk said:
2 hours ago, Estragon said:

Big difference between playing a competitive match on an artificial pitch and training on it.

In what respect?  What are the main differences, and how do they relate to injuries disproportionately sustained on artificial surfaces?

ETA - Please don't think I'm having a go at you, I'm honestly not.  I'm totally fed up of this debate being conducted along non-medical, non-statistical lines - if you've found something I've missed I'd be interested to see it.

Edited by Estragon

In what respect?  What are the main differences, and how do they relate to injuries disproportionately sustained on artificial surfaces?  

ETA - Please don't think I'm having a go at you, I'm honestly not.  I'm totally fed up of this debate being conducted along non-medical, non-statistical lines - if you've found something I've missed I'd be interested to see it.

Training you don't need to go into tackles 100% if you don't want to.  

Jamie Adams has had problems with his knees for years and says his body feels far worse after playing on the 3g than grass.

I'm no expert on the matter by any means and don't mind 3g pitches at all especially in the lower levels. I think most players will agree though that grass is the their preferred surface as 3g pitches are generally not as soft as grass and harder on the joints. This results in more injuries and longer time to recover after games. Don't think there is any official research or data to back this up though.

People running around on a surface that hundreds of slack-jawed morons in their profession have previously labelled (without evidence) a 'disgrace' and a 'hazard to players' health' in 'feeling worse afterwards' shock. That is down to basic psychology rather than any physiological effects.

5 hours ago, Estragon said:

Jamie Adams plays on those surfaces when it suits us.

2 hours ago, ftk said:

I'm no expert on the matter by any means and don't mind 3g pitches at all especially in the lower levels. I think most players will agree though that grass is the their preferred surface as 3g pitches are generally not as soft as grass and harder on the joints. This results in more injuries and longer time to recover after games. Don't think there is any official research or data to back this up though.

Aye I thought as much. Just wow.

4 hours ago, ftk said:

Training you don't need to go into tackles 100% if you don't want to.  

Jamie Adams has had problems with his knees for years and says his body feels far worse after playing on the 3g than grass.

What he really means is that Jamie is as soft as sh!te .

Or put it another way his body isn’t genetically suited to playing on such a surface , rather like some racehorses 

Jesus fucking wept. Really?
He didn't agree it was genetic, but he pointed out that our players coming through lack the physicality compared to youths in England.

They were specifically discussing den defenders at that point.

I tend to agree that physicality is an issue, but more towards strength and fitness rather than height.