Sportsound Watch

I've no real grasp of such matters, but I think it was held to be a poor piece of legislation from a legal viewpoint.
I like the signal its existence sent out though.  Repealing it sends out quite the opposite one.

No I’m no expert in the legal intricacies either, I just didn’t like the principle of a law specifically for behaviour at football and not other events, however unlikely it was to happen at other events.

Agreed that repealing it has sent a poor message though.

1 hour ago, MixuFixit said:

I for one am stunned that the police, many of whom are freemasons, don't want to tackle a sectarian problem in any meaningful way.

Would you like to explain what freemasons have to do with sectarianism ?

1 minute ago, KTID26 said:

Absolute nonsense. The Order of Freemasons is open to all denominations and indeed is populated by many Catholics.

You are 100% right.

...........................................In the same way that the EDL is open to women, people of colour and who were born in other countries but is renowned as an organisation populated by stupid white english guys.

22 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I just didn’t like the principle of a law specifically for behaviour at football and not other events, however unlikely it was to happen at other events.

We already have laws like that though, such as those governing where we can buy a drink.

2 minutes ago, Green Day said:

You are 100% right.

...........................................In the same way that the EDL is open to women, people of colour and who were born in other countries but is renowned as an organisation populated by stupid white english guys.

You are indeed a sick minded individual.

3 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I'm sure there's existing law that could be used if anybody could be bothered to apply it.

Yes, I think that's true as well.

One of the criticisms of the legislation was that it was unnecessary, because other laws already covered the behaviour it was designed to combat.

The moves against it though were generally from those who wanted their rights to behave like arseholes protected.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

18 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I'm sure there's existing law that could be used if anybody could be bothered to apply it.

15 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, I think that's true as well.

One of the criticisms of the legislation was that it was unnecessary, because other laws already covered the behaviour it was designed to combat.

The moves against it though were generally from those who wanted their rights to behave like arseholes protected.

Yep, existing legislation is enough. The only element missing is the key one, the will to enforce it.  

11 hours ago, The Master said:

Billy Dodds said today we can't have strict liability because all that would happen is "Rangers" fans would go to Celtic games just to cause trouble with the aim of getting them a points deduction. 

giphy.gif 

11 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

This utterly spurious shite is gaining a real foothold.

Craig Levein and Kris Boyd have both been quoted as saying much the same thing.  You really do despair that people are so opposed to putting appropriate sanctions and deterrents in place, that they come out with such desperate rubbish.

Was their point not that deducting points for it wouldn't work as youd get fans going into opposing crowds to try and influence it.

AKA a title race coming down to a matter of points, so a fan of the team in second goes into the rival crowd to try and get a points deduction. 

It genuinely sounds so pathetic that fans of Rangers and Celtic would do it.

Anyone identified as guilty should be banned, fined and the offence added to their record. Try explaining to an employer that you spend your weekend singing about killing "******s" or singing about how great the IRA is, and see what sort of job you can get. Even worse, try explaining to your partner why you're having to pay a huge fine for singing some songs.

Youd have to hope that would root out the half sensible ones who just join in, youd still get nut jobs, but banning them could spread to making them have to be so far away from football stadiums on game days, if that fucks up their life, it's their own choices that took them there.

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Was their point not that deducting points for it wouldn't work as youd get fans going into opposing crowds to try and influence it.

Yes, yes it was.

It was also precisely the thing the Master and I were both referring to.  Not sure why you think someone's got the wrong end of the stick here.

12 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Anyone identified as guilty should be banned, fined and the offence added to their record. Try explaining to an employer that you spend your weekend singing about killing "******s" or singing about how great the IRA is, and see what sort of job you can get. 

I can think of two sporting venues where you could probably get a job.

21 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

AKA a title race coming down to a matter of points, so a fan of the team in second goes into the rival crowd to try and get a points deduction. 

It genuinely sounds so pathetic that fans of Rangers and Celtic would do it.

Anyone identified as guilty should be banned, fined and the offence added to their record. Try explaining to an employer that you spend your weekend singing about killing "******s" or singing about how great the IRA is, and see what sort of job you can get. Even worse, try explaining to your partner why you're having to pay a huge fine for singing some songs.

Youd have to hope that would root out the half sensible ones who just join in, youd still get nut jobs, but banning them could spread to making them have to be so far away from football stadiums on game days, if that fucks up their life, it's their own choices that took them there.

Are we asked to believe that single or groups of supporters will buy tickets for the other side, then sacrifice themselves to the Authorities by singing or chanting words they abhor just to make that side look worse and lose 3 points?

Sounds like tactics Billy Dodds would come up with right enough.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

11 hours ago, kingjoey said:

One thing that should, but won’t, happen straight away, is that commentators at matches, panels after matches, the written media, have to call out fans of teams who chant sectarian bile, regardless of which team it is. TV and media in general are quick enough to highlight individuals who are caught on camera spouting racist rubbish, so put the cameras on any set of fans who are chanting about F*****s, the Queen, the Pope, whatever, and, try to, shame the clubs involved. That includes every club in the country.

I remember the televised game between Hibs and Rangers in the Championship at Ibrox a few seasons ago when Rangers won 4-2.

I was watching that in my flat and the pitchside mics were picking up a lot of f-words etc and the commentator repeatedly apologised for it.

Not a peep about the entire stadium completely obviously singing about Neil Lennon being a 'sad ****** b*****d' for almost the entire game.

It's quite remarkable.

2 minutes ago, 7-2 said:

There is absolutely no point trying to understand the Old Firm mindest. It's right up there with Scientology when it comes to rational thinking.

But at least mainstream opinion recognises Scientology as bonkers.

The OF agenda is instead allowed to dominate here and is not called out as cancerous.

27 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Are we asked to believe that single or groups of supporters will buy tickets for the other side, then sacrifice themselves to the Authorities by singing or chanting words they abhor just to make that side look worse and lose 3 points?

I fully believe if Rangers were two points behind a Celtic side on the cusp of 10 in a row, and any sectarian offence carried a 3 point fine, some would willingly take the punishment.