Sportsound Watch

9 minutes ago, Muzza81 said:

The interview with Steve Conroy was quite something. Absolutely unbelievable line of questioning. The line “Do you think it’s a concern that there’s more Rangers supporting referees than Celtic?” was a particular low point. Sums up this country. 

Yep. Got the impression that that a 50% split between celtic and rangers supporters would be acceptable.  :1eye

23 minutes ago, Muzza81 said:

The interview with Steve Conroy was quite something. Absolutely unbelievable line of questioning. The line “Do you think it’s a concern that there’s more Rangers supporting referees than Celtic?” was a particular low point. Sums up this country. 

Joking aside, as many others have said, I don't think refs are biased one way or another, I just think they're generally abysmal at their job in this country.

For Conroy to suggest that there should be some kind of balance of refs who support one or the other, is an astonishing piece of dumbfuckery.

Just now, KnightswoodBear said:

Joking aside, as many others have said, I don't think refs are biased one way or another, I just think they're generally abysmal at their job in this country.

For Conroy to suggest that there should be some kind of balance of refs who support one or the other, is an astonishing piece of dumbfuckery.

^^^Im guessing Celtic. 

1 hour ago, KnightswoodBear said:

It's the toughest job in football, look at any league, even one with far more resources, and I guarantee you won't have to look far to find someone criticising them.

a1.jpg

Il pin my colours to the mast right now. Aside from the chronic overall standard, I firmly believe both halfs of the arse gain from unfair refereeing over all other teams.

The 12 points won or lost between the two clubs is largely insignificant balanced against what i perceive is pro Rangers/Celtic refereeing in the rest of their games.

Yes the referees are biased. As usual in this tin pot fucking country, we are looking at it from entirely the wrong angle.

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

Il pin my colours to the mast right now. Aside from the chronic overall standard, I firmly believe both halfs of the arse gain from unfair refereeing over all other teams.

The 12 points won or lost between the two clubs is largely insignificant balanced against what i perceive is pro Rangers/Celtic refereeing in the rest of their games.

Yes the referees are biased. As usual in this tin pot fucking country, we are looking at it from entirely the wrong angle.

I totally agree BUT I don't believe it's because the refs are fans of the clubs, it's the fact they have the largest supports and dominate so much of the media interest.  I looked back at the St Johnstone - Motherwell 4-1 match from 2017 in which The Steelmen finished the game with 8 men and don't personally think it got the same amount of frenzied coverage. 

2 hours ago, KnightswoodBear said:

I don't believe referees as biased either. I do think conditions/atmosphere can affect decision making but I don't believe any referee goes out to actively advantage one side or the other.

There is very little incentive for referees to NOT give into pressure from huge crowds full of poorly educated psychopaths and stabbers.

The press won't mention it, they will face little or no criticism on a professional level, and the danger of being revenge-targeted by fans of the likes of St Johnstone or Hamilton Accies is minimal to none.

Edited by nsr

2 hours ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Steve conroy refereed 2 celtic games both ended in a draw clearly bias.

Steve Conroy gave a penalty to Celtic when Cillian Sheridan was fouled 4 feet outside the box against Hamilton - your point is ?  

15 minutes ago, Muzza81 said:

I don't believe referees as biased either. I do think conditions/atmosphere can affect decision making but I don't believe any referee goes out to actively advantage one side or the other.

I think this is true.

Sam Cosgrove's red card at Ibrox being case in point.  I listened to that game live on the radio and when it happened you could hear the outrage from the stands at whatever had happened, and having already been booked you just knew the second yellow was coming, that was without even having seen it.

I do believe that if that happened at Pittodrie then it's not a red card.

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

I think this is true.

Sam Cosgrove's red card at Ibrox being case in point.  I listened to that game live on the radio and when it happened you could hear the outrage from the stands at whatever had happened, and having already been booked you just knew the second yellow was coming, that was without even having seen it.

I do believe that if that happened at Pittodrie then it's not a red card.

It wasnt  a booking, and hence a red card, for one reason and one reason only, it wasn’t a foul. The Rangers defender kicked Cosgrove on the foot and not the other way round.

2 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

It wasnt  a booking, and hence a red card, for one reason and one reason only, it wasn’t a foul. The Rangers defender kicked Cosgrove on the foot and not the other way round.

I know that

ETA -it was in response to the comment that the atmosphere  contributed to the referees decision.  There's a coming together and the home fans go nuts, referee is influenced.  My point was that without having even seen it I could tell the outcome based on what I was hearing.

Obviously once you see it the decision is a nonsense anyway.

Edited by Dons_1988