Sportsound Watch

7 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

Stubbs having a good greet about the St Mirren job tonight and begging for the Hibs one.

He's not bitter about it though - he's very insistent about that.

He could say lots but wanted to retain his class and dignity.
Would love to hear what [emoji23]. He had a go at Tony F for saying we should be top 4.....but Jack Ross was the manager at the time he said it and even he was laughing at Tony. Think Stubbs took that quite literal.

1 hour ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Would love to hear what emoji23.png. He had a go at Tony F for saying we should be top 4.....but Jack Ross was the manager at the time he said it and even he was laughing at Tony. Think Stubbs took that quite literal.

He came across really badly. inferring  that there were lots of issues but refused to speak about any of them. Don't want him anywhere near Hibs. Thought this was a car crash of a show with Commons and McCall insisiting Lennon has done nothing wrong, even though none of them have a clue what went on. Only one that seem to have any idea was McCann who could see the statement for what it was, bullshit!

They noted a stat that said 200 transfers took place in Scotland over the transfer window (not sure if they mean 200 signed or 200 overall, i.e. signings and players being punted).

Billy Dodds said that it's great and shows the game is healthy up here (plus the usual wee pish about the game being 'on the up' which as we all know is code for Sevco challenging at the top of the Premiership, ignoring the other clubs who are doing the same).

Anyway, I have to disagree. I think it shows the opposite. It shows a reckless panic in some cases and gross mismanagement in many others. It's not sustainable in many cases surely. It suggests that we have a lot of dud managers up here too. Teams signing what is in effect a new starting team is a mental situation. The money being chucked around is a worrying sign that perhaps lessons have been forgotten.

Another alarming factor is a creates an expectation that this is the norm and will up the pressure (from fans) on clubs to make a load of signings in January every year when a club isn't quite where fans demand. Making a couple of signings, which some clubs budget for, in January is fine, but getting loads in is ludicrous. When clubs cave to the expectations, which will be grossly inflated by media frenzies, more risks will be taken, and it will end very badly indeed for quite a few clubs.

@DA Baracus, a great post - and another facet of a real reactionary tone I feel is increasingly present in the game up here.

I was saying to a pal of mine that, since Martin Canning's departure, the average current tenure of managers in the four senior leagues is just a bar over 18 months. There's a complete lack of stability in terms of playing staff and management at most clubs.

Don't get me wrong, I felt Canning was long past his sell-by date and get quite aggrieved at the inevitable media rhetoric of consternation at "wee Accies'" temerity in not being content with their lot. But generally there's definitely a balance being missed.

20 minutes ago, accies1874 said:
56 minutes ago, TheScarf said:
I'm curious to know as to when the Scottish game was 'on the down'. 

From the summer of 2012 to the summer of 2016.

Yes.  

A golden age for the rest of us, but that is the period they'll be trying to strike a contrast with.

Just now, GroundskeeperWillie said:

Not sure if I misheard that one, but I'm pretty sure they were reporting that the Challenge Cup tie between Bohemians and East Fife was still goal-less, which I'm pretty sure it will for the rest of the day, seeing as it was postponed...

Sure I heard that. 5 minutes later they were saying it had been postponed.

The interview with Steve Conroy was quite something. Absolutely unbelievable line of questioning. The line “Do you think it’s a concern that there’s more Rangers supporting referees than Celtic?” was a particular low point. Sums up this country. 

Edited by Muzza81

1 minute ago, Muzza81 said:

The interview with Steve Conroy was quite something. Absolutely unbelievable line of questioning. The line “Do you think it’s a concern that there’s more Rangers supporting referees than Celtic?” was a particular low point. Sums up this country. 

I thought that too.  Absolutely tragic.