Sportsound Watch

2 hours ago, Thistle Bonnet said:

I always listen to Sportsound on the car radio on the way back from Firhill - it's good to hear a neutral view on the game and to catch up on the scores and match reports for the other teams. 

Today, I got back to the car just after 5 o'clock...there was about 15 minutes of chat and interviews about the game at Parkhead including Pat Bonnar's blether then most of the rest of the programme to 5.30 was devoted to a pointless series of archive material & interviews with former Rangers players on the hostility towards Aberdeen, dwelling on the Simpson/Durrant incident - no mention of Willie Johnston's assault on John McMaster which as far as I can recall was the source of the antagonism. Willie Miller commented that he was disappointed in the content. 

Why does the BBC's flagship football programme pander so much to a Club that bans one of their reporters who committed the serious offence of mentioning their sectarian singing ?

Other than a quick run through of the scores, there was no acknowlegment that other games had actually taken place..

Spot on - and I was thinking exactly the same on the way home. They have 30-35mins between the end of the games and the start of OTB and to spend literally 30mins on OF stuff is criminal. This is exactly what lots of us predicated when the Rangers clown car rolled into town - the diddies have been gleefully shunted off to where they belong and we can all talk about Rangers and Celtic ad naseum. I got in the car at 5pm and didn't know a single detail about the other games until OTB came on.

On the build up to the Dons-Rangers game - the focus on the  Neil Simpson/Ian Durrant stuff is fucking pathetic and it was an embarrassment on what is primarily a segment of the programme about the day's results. To dredge up a bad tackle that happened before a fair proportion of the football going public were even born is totally bizarre - to have Graeme Souness pontificating on it, when he was guilty of far worse tackles in his time that Simpson ever was, was perverse. Using a near-30 year old tackle to tell - yet again - the Rangers fan staple about wee Durranty being robbed of a career as a "world class" player is a great example of how often the media in Scotland pander to the OF world view.

I always listen to Sportsound on the car radio on the way back from Firhill - it's good to hear a neutral view on the game and to catch up on the scores and match reports for the other teams. 

Today, I got back to the car just after 5 o'clock...there was about 15 minutes of chat and interviews about the game at Parkhead including Pat Bonnar's blether then most of the rest of the programme to 5.30 was devoted to a pointless series of archive material & interviews with former Rangers players on the hostility towards Aberdeen, dwelling on the Simpson/Durrant incident - no mention of Willie Johnston's assault on John McMaster which as far as I can recall was the source of the antagonism. Willie Miller commented that he was disappointed in the content. 

Why does the BBC's flagship football programme pander so much to a Club that bans one of their reporters who committed the serious offence of mentioning their sectarian singing ?

Other than a quick run through of the scores, there was no acknowlegment that other games had actually taken place..

Brilliant post. Surely anyone's with a brain, and a sense of objectivity who grew up with a radio and a telly can't have to dig that deep to know there's been needle there for at least 40 years? When eejit's like Barry Ferguson are interviewed and repeat the same old pish then halfwits believe it.

8 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

And someone who has attended games of football in this country should at least get the name of the ground mentioned right too then?

Mea culpa. Apologies. McDiarmid.

Can't disagree with most of the comments here, but I would state that Willie Miller was clearly exasperated with the Durrant fixation, and in a rare display of insubordination to whoever controls these things, made the valid point that the tackle was nearly 30 years ago, and it's time to move on; dredging it up every time serves nobody.

Given that this was in direct contradiction of the entirety of BBC "Scotland"'s output on the topic over the last week or so, it was met with predictable silence.

Well done WM, a rare point to you.

I didn't hear this but alternative maryhill mentioned that Stewart Gilmour claimed on Sportsound that the ICT v Dundee crowd at Hampden in 2003 was 7,000.

The crowd that day was something like 15,000 (so he was pretty close) but of course no one corrected him on this.

This is what frustrates me about Sportsound - most of it is complete rubbish, made up fluff or just total lies which are never corrected for fear of upsetting on of their commentator or other football pals. A joke of a programme.

Think it was actually Dave MacKay that said it as he played in the game. It was on Off the Ball, not Sportsound.

Yesterday Willie Miller stated, "Now that Hearts and Rangers are back in the top division it will be good when Hibs and Dundee Utd are promoted.  We can then get the "proper order" of Scottish football restored, with the top teams competing at the top of the top league". (Lots of tops in there).

Firstly:  A Team that are relegated because they get humped by everybody else are not a "top team".

Secondly:  A teams that are relegated because they rob every man and his dog trying to win some silverware are not a "top team".

Thirdly:  The "proper order" of Scottish football is decided by which teams win the most points every season, while living within their means.

8 minutes ago, Jake said:

Yesterday Willie Miller stated, "Now that Hearts and Rangers are back in the top division it will be good when Hibs and Dundee Utd are promoted.  We can then get the "proper order" of Scottish football restored, with the top teams competing at the top of the top league". (Lots of tops in there).

Firstly:  A Team that are relegated because they get humped by everybody else are not a "top team".

Secondly:  A teams that are relegated because they rob every man and his dog trying to win some silverware are not a "top team".

Thirdly:  The "proper order" of Scottish football is decided by which teams win the most points every season, while living within their means.

Yep - and fitting that a St Johnstone fan makes the point, as they are currently in their "proper" place as a result of being a consistently well-run club. The fact that Rangers, Hearts, Utd and Hibs all somehow pished away the advantage that their "size" gives them over smaller clubs and ended up in the lower leagues should have killed the outdated pish that Miller came out with once and for all.

Also - mentioning Utd is mystifying really as (if a table I saw recently was true) they don't even average out as a Top 6 team since the turn of the century - it in no way feels like the league is bereft without them (and I say that as someone who quite likes Utd), even though the Dundee Derby is a good fixture to have.

I thought Miller had turned the corner with his 'Scottish football doesn't need the Old Firm' remark the other day.  But he's reverted to type and is again talking like an old man who should probably be in a nursing home with the other dinosaurs that plague our game.

Being banned would mean he couldn't enter the stadium.

Like Jum Spence was at Dundee ( the beeb sent someone else)

Like Keevins and klaxon at them.

I'm sure there are other examples out there

More dishonesty,the BBC did not send anyone to Dens when Spence was banned.

34 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

It pleases me greatly that our mere presence in the Premiership riles up old fools like Willie Miller and his 'attendances are the most important thing' colleagues and morons on here.

GIRFUY

It's fucking brilliant isn't it?  Hamilton, Inverness and County all getting 3k and less at home games, sitting comfortably at the top table, where as 'giants' Hibs and Dundee United are in the cheap seats because they're utter shite.

2 hours ago, TheScarf said:

It's fucking brilliant isn't it?  Hamilton, Inverness and County all getting 3k and less at home games, sitting comfortably at the top table, where as 'giants' Hibs and Dundee United are in the cheap seats because they're utter shite.

What did we ever do to you?

ashley+benson+crying.gif

Willie Miller fits into that Scottish football pundit/journalist mentality I've noted before: all will be well if the top tier has 3 Glasgow clubs, 2 Edinburgh clubs, 2 Dundee clubs, Aberdeen, Kilmarnock, Motherwell and (if we really have to go with 12 clubs instead of 10) a pair of others from the central belt...

Hibs and Dundee Utd are at the level their results have justified.

Last night 25 minutes of analysis on the Rangers/Aberdeen game and only 4 minutes of analysis (if you can call it that) on Accies draw versus Saints. Chick Young basically got a minute or so each with the managers post game. It was pissing it down and he ended interviews abruptly.