tcoos-header.jpg

Supporters Direct Scotland were at Albion Rovers on Saturday for the first Colours of our Scarves event of the new season.

SDS will be attending every senior Scottish club ground between now and the end of the 2014/15 campaign with our anti-sectarian project, which seeks to engage with members of local communities and football fans to voice their opinions on sectarianism in their local area. This is done through focus groups, engagement with local schools and colleges and a photographic exhibition at each club ground.

We will be at Elgin City on Saturday 23rd August and then Stranraer on Saturday 30th August. If you're planning on attending one of these matches, feel free to come over and have a chat with us regarding the programme.

For more information, please visit www.scottishfans.org/scarves

I don't profess to know or understand how the f**k we've got sectarianism in our game, (I've come up from England by the way) BUT if it exists then surely it's best to address it head on eh?

If there was a paper in parliament about it what would you say? "What does a politician know about sectarianism at football?"

So if it's not to take the issue to the grounds & real fans then where should they take it?

Grimbo

This is a joke, aye??? There's a need to gather opinion on sectarianism??? Far too many cooks in this kitchen, who probably wouldnt have known a football from a turnip until it presented them with a career path. Total wombat.

Exactly, more money pished up against the wall.

I don't profess to know or understand how the f**k we've got sectarianism in our game, (I've come up from England by the way) BUT if it exists then surely it's best to address it head on eh?

If there was a paper in parliament about it what would you say? "What does a politician know about sectarianism at football?"

So if it's not to take the issue to the grounds & real fans then where should they take it?

Grimbo

I'll spare you the lecture on how, like in almost every other country on the planet, society's problems found their way into a once working-class arena. Dishing out leaflets to a combined 600 or so people at Albion Rovers and Elgin, which to my recollection are not soccer hotbeds let alone breeding grounds for political or social activism, will acquire them roughly the centre of a doughnut's worth of information. I recall being forced to sit through a Nil By Mouth production in fifth year, and was infuriated by the the well-done-you-bad-boy-made-good pat in the back dished out to the junior bigots (both sides) who apparently needed the 'dangers of exclusion and intolerance' spelt out to them at the age of 17. Too many nosey b*****ds these days.

• 2 weeks later...

The younger generation grew up in a secular environment where organised religion was largely absent from most people's lives. It is bizarre to still be going on and on about sectarianism. Maybe the state should take the initiative on this by ending all of its links to sky fairy cults in the education sector as a way to end the lingering tribalism linked to which type of school you go/went to?

• 2 weeks later...

The State would do so in a second. In fact, if next weeks vote goes one way, seperate schools will imo be abolished within a generation. Just one more reason to vote that certain way for me. But secularism isnt something id attribute to 21st century Scotland, in a social sense anyway. Church numbers might be down, but those wishing to keep the auld fires burning where their cause is concerned (especially the Green Brigade) have never had a better platform.

Albion Rovers, Elgin and Stranraer visited first.......................sorry, I can see the merit in this, but SDS would be better employed hitting around three or four clubs every week until the end of the season. Perhaps well meaning, but everyone knows that heading to all but these three or four clubs is ignoring the elephant(s) in the room.

Archived