Dumbarton v QOS

I would actually consider playing Agnew and Kirkpatrick together in midfield (controversial, I know). Turner hasn't been looking himself, it looked to me like he hasn't been 100% fit.

Spot on. Both at Brechin and Raith.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Missed game on Saturday as was still in Barbados. Have hired a dozen bouncy castles which I will set up behind the perimeter fence and for only a fiver a shot will hire out to queens fans to watch the game as they don't want to sit in the stand.4-3 victory to the sons which will set us up nicely for the following game against the wee team from glasgow.

Kirkpatrick. Turner and Aggy through the middle. Nish and Campbell up front.

Kirkpatrick is wasted on the right wing though, he's at his best through the middle, if your going to drop Megginson then perhaps it should be for McDougall. Otherwise his signing will prove as pointless as it first appeared.

I also think that Turner was poor on Saturday (I didn't think anyone in the midfield really covered themselves in glory right enough...), and there's a case to be made for dropping him. Although he always seemed to take a bit of time to get going each season he's been with us so he may be worth persevering with.

For me it's the lack of width on Saturday that was most concerning, it restricted us going forward and it gives the full backs almost no protection. I actually think of all the teams we'll play this season it has the best chance of working against Queen's. Not through any tactical advantage but purely that last season QOTS adapted after our first meeting and dealt with us pretty comfortably in the remaining games, they may well setup against us in the expectation that we'll play like we did last season and that could work to our advantage. That being said the thought of Russell running at Van Zanten unopposed all game gives me the fear.

I'd expect us to improve but given Queens record against us last season I'm not terribly confident.

Kirkpatrick out wide is a waste of time. He can't cross and you lose him from the middle, where he is so effective. I feel a bit sorry for Megginson; I think his quiet games against Brechin and Raith stem from the new system, rather than him playing poorly, per se. He was arguably our best player last season; we must play with a system that gets the best out of him. Given that we took nothing from the home games against Queens last season, I would not be at all surprised to see Murray persist with the cautious approach, which would perhaps appear to make sense. However, I think this would be a big mistake, resulting in a comfortable Queens win.

I would be surprised if Kerr goes right back into the team if he has just started training again, maybe a spot on the bench though. The team more or less picks itself just now because of injuries but I think McShane and Fowler are doing ok in midfield even if Kerr was fit. Baird will probably start up front which will be hard on Lyle or Reilly, whichever one drops out. Close game I think, Queens to win by the odd goal.

I would be surprised if Kerr goes right back into the team if he has just started training again, maybe a spot on the bench though. The team more or less picks itself just now because of injuries but I think McShane and Fowler are doing ok in midfield even if Kerr was fit. Baird will probably start up front which will be hard on Lyle or Reilly, whichever one drops out. Close game I think, Queens to win by the odd goal.

A fit Kerr should be straight into the team. Saying that, if he only started training today then it'll be a week or two before he is starting I'd imagine.

Kirkpatrick out wide is a waste of time. He can't cross and you lose him from the middle, where he is so effective. I feel a bit sorry for Megginson; I think his quiet games against Brechin and Raith stem from the new system, rather than him playing poorly, per se. He was arguably our best player last season; we must play with a system that gets the best out of him. Given that we took nothing from the home games against Queens last season, I would not be at all surprised to see Murray persist with the cautious approach, which would perhaps appear to make sense. However, I think this would be a big mistake, resulting in a comfortable Queens win.

There are 5/6 players who had a better seasons than Megginson last season.

Who would you play on the other wing? I think both Mitch and Gils should be starting.

There seems to be a bit of Groundhog Day going on here, as we spent last season agonising over a midfield which is a bit like a twin carb - silky smooth when properly tuned and misfiring badly when not. Too much of the latter these days but we are stuck with the same players and as yet no sign of either the best formation or system.

A suggestion - get the clipboard tae f*** and pick players to play to their best position within a basically simple system. If that means certain folk on the bench then so be it.

Kirky is the best "number 10" we have, wasted out wide, play him attacking mid every day.

Wasn't at Brechin so can't comment on Mitch, he was very quiet at raith though. His best game by an absolute mile was the game up at pittodrie in march.

I think this will be a very tough game. Sons lost their first game, their third is away to Govan which they have probably pencilled in as a loss. ( although I sincerely hope they don't )

They will be really keen to get something on Saturday to avoid a possible 3 straight defeats at the start of the season.

On the plus side The Rock has been a happy hunting ground ( Boghead was a bitch ) :thumbsdown

Hoping for a Queens win on Saturday and Sons to open their account at Ibrox :thumsup2

There are 5/6 players who had a better seasons than Megginson last season.

Really? In my opinion our best six players were: McGinn, Graham, Megginson, Linton, Turner and Kane (not necessarily in that order). Over the course of the season, the only ones who were as consistent as Megginson were Graham and McGinn. Not to mention that Mitch was our top goalscorer, of course.

I'd actually completely forgotten about Kirkpatrick there when I typed that. Although, over the course of the season, I'd still have to put Mitch above him.

Really? In my opinion our best six players were: McGinn, Graham, Megginson, Linton, Turner and Kane (not necessarily in that order). Over the course of the season, the only ones who were as consistent as Megginson were Graham and McGinn. Not to mention Mitch was our top goalscorer, of course.

I'd actually completely forgotten about Kirkpatrick there when I typed that. Although, over the course of the season, I'd still have to put Mitch above him.

Ironic that 3 of your top 6 are defenders, given our goals against last season. I agree with McGinn and Graham though. Would also have Kirkpatrick, then maybe Turner followed by Mitch. Decent squad who, if we play players in the correct positions, should cope this year.

Not got too much hope for Saturday given our record vs Queens. Might make the game depending on where my gig is. Hopeful we can get a point out of this though.

If you're a season ticket holder aye. £60 for others.

Didn't realise that, can see plenty being put off by that.

The system we've been playing doesn't help Mitch. Or Kirkpatrick. Or Gilhaney. Or our full-backs. Or scoring goals. Apart from that, it's worked well.

Archived