Dumbarton v QOS

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is where we find out how much of the past 2 years is down to Murray and how much was down to Jack Ross.

We did well last season playing direct football. Sometimes we dribbled, sometimes we passed but we were always direct. Get the ball forward in a 4 or 5 phases of play. At the back we were clear - if in doubt, get it out. Even if you need to put it long, if it's not on the edge of our box then they cant create a chance.

Why have we turned into a shite version of Livingston from last season? Always looking for the short pass, even if it plays us into trouble. At the back we're always looking to pass our way out of danger, even if it plays our keeper into trouble. We don't have the players to play pretty, passing football with wee triangles of players all playing the ball to each other to keep possession. Today was absolutely woeful. Our possession broke down within 3 or 4 passes because QotS knew all they had to do was to put a bit of pressure on and we'd give the ball away or they'd win it from us. There was acres of space for Queens to exploit today and we very rarely looked comfortable.

If we keep trying to play this way then we're going to be bottom 2. We can't force our players to play a style of football they're completely unsuited to and expect them to do well. What was the point of bringing back most of last season's team if we weren't going to play last season's football? The gaffer knows these players - he knows their strengths and he knows their limits. It's clear that we don't have a squad that can play a pretty short passing game.

Next week is a write off and after that we have Livi, Hearts and Falkirk. The only game I'd expect us to have a decent chance in is the Livi game. Anything we can pick up from Hearts is a massively unlikely bonus and Falkirk would be favourites against us regardless of today's performance. Lose that and we're looking at the prospect of Alloa coming to us in an early season must win game.

Today, and last week against Raith, wouldn't have been so bad if both teams hadn't absolutely exploited our weaknesses. If we'd kept up our first half performance in Kirkcaldy but lost to a single goal then fair enough. Similarly if today had been closer then you could put it down to the better team edging the game. The gulf between ourselves and Raith in the 2nd half last week and QotS today was absolutely massive.

That's a serious worry.

You know there's a problem when the team is getting booed off the pitch after the first home game of the season.

I don't really blame the team. With the likes of the Linton pass back you will always get players who make a mistake during a game.

But we passed the ball back from the edge of our own half repeatedly. The ball went from midfield back to the keeper at least 9 or 10 times. That's down to the way the manager is asking them to play. If the manager wants them to play a style of football they're not able to play then for all the mistakes they'll make, it's the gaffer's fault for trying to shoehorn them into a style of play that doesn't work.

I don't really blame the team. With the likes of the Linton pass back you will always get players who make a mistake during a game. But we passed the ball back from the edge of our own half repeatedly. The ball went from midfield back to the keeper at least 9 or 10 times. That's down to the way the manager is asking them to play. If the manager wants them to play a style of football they're not able to play then for all the mistakes they'll make, it's the gaffer's fault for trying to shoehorn them into a style of play that doesn't work.

Totally agree with that and your other post. I don't understand what is going through Murray's head. The sooner he abandons these insane tactics, the better.

Eh? You don't think they're even remotely culpable for a 4-0 home defeat.

Murray's system doesn't work but the lack of fight from the lads today was worrying.

Both are to blame. Muzz got his tactics as wrong as it's possible to get them and the team struggled to adapt. The lack of fight was a worry but perhaps down to struggling to play a less natural game than the free flowing attacking play they mastered and seemed to enjoy last year.

That's the first game in a long time I've actually considered walking out on. I stayed it out (but spent the last 10 minutes reading Andys book) it was really, really dreadful...and now I'm going off on another seethe fuelled rant so I'll stop now!

Congratulations Queens...not looking forward to Ibrox at all next week :(

Eh? You don't think they're even remotely culpable for a 4-0 home defeat.

Murray's system doesn't work but the lack of fight from the lads today was worrying.

They're playing the system the manager tells them to play. If they can't do what he wants them to then what are they going to do? Decide "f**k it, I can't do that so I'll play the game I want to play"? They'll be subbed and out the team without Murray thinking twice. So they battle on but as the game progresses, the heads go further and further down because they know they're going to struggle. A lot of footballers biggest skill is confidence and if things are going against them and their heads go down then they'll let the game pass them by.

Every fan in the ground could see that what Murray wanted us to do wasn't working. If the manager can see it but doesn't change it then to some extent he's setting his players up to fail.

Well that was dire, same as last week @ Raith. Hardly a shot on target, a striker is needed badly I feel.

With all that wind we insisted on trying to punt high balls, Gilhaney should start, he is a threat and can get to the bye-line on occasion, we picked up slightly when Fleming & Gils came on.

But oh so naive at times, Jack Ross looks like being seriously missed at Sons.

Must admit I find it hard to blame the players for that shite. Linton's back pass was brought on by having zero other options, which is Murray's fault I'm afraid.

Surely to god the loss of McGinn and Ross and hasn't caused this? We really have been an utter shitfest thus far which isn't down to the players, it's down to the management. We have the exact same squad as last year, the only difference is that they are playing is some sort of top European club clipboard formation which quite clearly is going dreadfully wrong. I suppose it's now where we find out if Murray is man enough to concede deafeat to this nonsense or whether he'll stubbornly try to stick with something that clearly doesn't work, in the fuckin slightest.

Must admit I find it hard to blame the players for that shite. Linton's back pass was brought on by having zero other options, which is Murray's fault I'm afraid.

Surely to god the loss of McGinn and Ross and hasn't caused this? We really have been an utter shitfest thus far which isn't down to the players, it's down to the management. We have the exact same squad as last year, the only difference is that they are playing is some sort of top European club clipboard formation which quite clearly is going dreadfully wrong. I suppose it's now where we find out if Murray is man enough to concede deafeat to this nonsense or whether he'll stubbornly try to stick with something that clearly doesn't work, in the fuckin slightest.

It only dawned on me mid-way through the game that we lost another huge player. Mikey Miller, if we'd had him today then the defence would've been far less shambolic. Not only was he a great defender but he was strong with the ball at his feet.

Said after 5 minutes today that come 60 minutes if Nish wasn't playing well then he'd take off Campbell and bring on Garry instead of the obvious Nish Garry swap. Sure enough come 60 odd minutes it happened, actually looked like Nish wanted to come off every time there was a sub.

Dumbarton sock update please. Any improvement on the Raith game?

The home kit has white socks so it's fine. No word on the away socks though, although apparently they aren't selling replica away tops to fans which seems strange.

Archived