Sportscene watch 2015/16

You'd be hard pressed to believe football is our national sport at times the way the BBC promote it.

Unfortunately English football has an monopoly over the rest of the UK when it comes to football,Would struggle to find any other European nation where football is by far its most popular sport being treated as some 2nd class competition in favour of another nations league

This. It's completely ******* bonkers that we put up with this. We were, until recently, having all the goals from league two in England on our screens a full day before we get anything from our own league.

The argument about cost per viewer is utterly deceitful. Comparing something broadcast UK wide on a Saturday night with some broadcast only in Scotland far later after the event is pish.

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You'd be hard pressed to believe football is our national sport at times the way the BBC promote it.

Unfortunately English football has an monopoly over the rest of the UK when it comes to football,Would struggle to find any other European nation where football is by far its most popular sport being treated as some 2nd class competition in favour of another nations league

This is the problem in a nutshell. Having the population of an already small footballing nation being constantly fed the 'best league in the world' line whilst our own set up's official line seems to be 'we're pyoor shite until ranjurs come back up' is the main reason behind a lack of interest.

Sportscene lost it's appeal as soon as they moved it away from the Saturday night slot with 'Sportscene Match of the Day'. Back then you had the main game of the day plus the goals from the Premiership in England from their version of 'Match of the Day'. You got a good highlight of the main game with Dougie Donnelly, Jock Brown, Hazel Irvine in the studio/commentating whilst the rest of the Scottish highlights would be on Scotsport on the Sunday afternoon/evening. I loved it that way.

That was of course in the days before SKY really took its grip on football and the majority of the games were 3pm on a Saturday, but the TV and the money that comes with that dictates everything now and football is now a business rather than a sport.

Theres about six people on WAP who got that identical e-mail response :lol:

I'm currently drafting my response.

COME AT ME, BBC.

Edit to add my response:

Hi Nicola,
I am writing to you with regards to your response to my complaint.
Having read your response over, I feel you have completely missed the point of my initial correspondence.
At no point did I mention the running order of the program being an issue. At no point did I infer any bias towards a particular team. My point was based around the frankly disgraceful amount of time dedicated to half of all the fixtures.
You say you focus on "striking the best balance during the show". When you take in to account that there were 10 minutes highlights of the game at the top of the show, while there were a whole 12 seconds of highlights of Kilmarnock vs Motherwell it is hugely apparent that there is little in the way of balance.
You say you take into account "the level of incidents, newsworthiness, quality of action" yet we had a game where there were 6 goals, a penalty and several bookings. This game was shoehorned into an appalling montage which lasted less than three minutes. The same montage that also included a game which had a sending off and a controversial penalty decision.
The whole production of Sportscene smacks of laziness and a lack of any real ideas to improve the quality of output. There are junior team supporters who put together highlight packages with higher production values. With all due respect to these people, it is an embarrassment that people in their spare time can produce better quality than the state broadcaster.
I look forward to your response.

That was of course in the days before SKY really took its grip on football and the majority of the games were 3pm on a Saturday, but the TV and the money that comes with that dictates everything now and football is now a business rather than a sport.

Like when Motherwell were saved in 2003 by a business decision rather than a sporting 1?

Tin open.

Worms absolutely everywhere

Sportscene lost it's appeal as soon as they moved it away from the Saturday night slot with 'Sportscene Match of the Day'. Back then you had the main game of the day plus the goals from the Premiership in England from their version of 'Match of the Day'. You got a good highlight of the main game with Dougie Donnelly, Jock Brown, Hazel Irvine in the studio/commentating whilst the rest of the Scottish highlights would be on Scotsport on the Sunday afternoon/evening. I loved it that way.

The current state of Scottish football on terrestrial TV stems from the ill-fated SPL TV idea.

After the SPL went crawling back to Sky and were promptly told to GTF, the BBC picked up the rights for two seasons (02/03-03/04) for absolute peanuts. That included highlights, ending STV's association. But the highlights were shown during the live match coverage - the logic presumably being that people were used to them at that time on STV anyway.

When Setanta came along, highlights ended up being an afterthought. And so the abomination that was Scotsport SPL was born on Monday nights. Eventually it moved to Sundays, but then we had the clusterf**k of the SPL giving the BBC highlights as well (on Mondays*), which pissed STV off enough for them to walk away.

And so here we are.

I'm pretty sure that had the SPL just stuck with Sky in 2002, the split highlights would have plodded along for another few years before a single broadcaster picked them up for showing on Saturday (and Sunday, when required).

*Actually, Sportscene on Monday nights wasn't bad. Half an hour, Richard Gordon and one guest, but very little chat.

Like when Motherwell were saved in 2003 by a business decision rather than a sporting 1?

Tin open.

If you have been affected by any of the issues raised in the 2003 season,please call this number.116 123

Remember when we used to show our live game on a Sunday night at 6.00?

We really do get the shitey end of the stick.

Even this weekend.

Want to watch Ross C v Celtic?

Well you'll need to miss the North London derby.

WTF????

I'm so glad I don't pay for Sky and BT sport.

They already laugh at Scottish football with their offers to show it.

But don't schedule our games against far more appealing ones please

WTF????

Perfect case of TV companies being in a no-win situation.

Show Ross County v Celtic at lunchtime/evening = don't care about supporters.

Show Ross County v Celtic only 30 minutes after it was due to kick-off = don't care about Scottish football because it clashes with a big English game.

When Setanta came along, highlights ended up being an afterthought. And so the abomination that was Scotsport SPL was born on Monday nights. Eventually it moved to Sundays, but then we had the clusterf**k of the SPL giving the BBC highlights as well (on Mondays*), which pissed STV off enough for them to walk away.

Back at that time, neither the STV nor the BBC were willing to pay the fee asked for exclusive, weekend terrestrial highlights. STV took the non-exclusive rights, but that only allowed highlights after 12pm on Sunday. The BBC initially had nothing, then paid for the non-exclusive highlights and put them on a Thursday (might have been Wednesday). It was only later they moved to Monday.

We can blame the SPL for fucking up the sale of live rights, but highlights rights have been available on much the same basis throughout. Maybe the beeb lost interest after losing their own live rights, but that isn't acceptable from the state broadcaster. I'm still astounded, whenever I'm back in Scotland, about the gap between the amount of time people in Scotland spend talking about football and the amount of time (and effort) devoted to its coverage on the state broadcaster.

Perfect case of TV companies being in a no-win situation.

Show Ross County v Celtic at lunchtime/evening = don't care about supporters.

Show Ross County v Celtic only 30 minutes after it was due to kick-off = don't care about Scottish football because it clashes with a big English game.

I don't see why showing it at 2.30 would bother either travelling Celtic fans or TV viewers

Remember when we used to show our live game on a Sunday night at 6.00?

We really do get the shitey end of the stick.

Even this weekend.

WTF????

I'm so glad I don't pay for Sky and BT sport.

They already laugh at Scottish football with their offers to show it.

But don't schedule our games against far more appealing ones please

I disagree with this. Having our games arranged according to how they fit in with coverage of the English leagues just tells people that we see ourselves as some kind of sideshow to the main event. The problem is that the only companies with the rights also have rights to English football, and our TV market is UK-wide.

Tin open.

Old news, but Falkirk had no one to blame but themselves for that. They knew the stadium criteria and they failed to meet it, that wasn't our problem. Get over it.

Old news, but Falkirk had no one to blame but themselves for that. They knew the stadium criteria and they failed to meet it, that wasn't our problem. Get over it.

Ross County played Falkirk earlier in the season, in the cup I think it was. They won 7-0, and it probably should have been about 14-0. Falkirk are the diddiest of the diddy teams and therefore deserve everything they get.

Mind you, I hadn't thought about the North London derby. Like Natalie Imbruglia, I'm torn. Torn between watching a game I really care about, and a game I don't give a flying fig about.

Archived