Alloa Athletic vs Raith Rovers

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First time I've had a proper look at Stewart and Conroy and was impressed by them. Nade seemed to fall out the game in the 2nd half but il take the win great result

We were probably fortunate to be ahead at half time given the chances Alloa had with headers.

Second half we came out and impressed ourselves much more and were relatively comfortable apart from that chance Spence had. I did think we sat back a bit too much in the last 20 minutes but saw it out alright.

Steady enough performances from most of the team and a well taken goal from Conroy.

When you think that Nade is the clear focal point of our entire attack, and he had by far his worst game in a Rovers shirt, I think it tells you a lot about the game.

I think Marr and Gordon, assisted by Simmons (who had a good hard battle with Scott) have to take a lot of credit for that. I thought they handled him really well.

First half I thought we played well. Gave as good as we got and probably just shaded it on clear cut chances. Buchanan should have done better with the two clear cut headed ones that came his way, although other than that I thought he had a good hardworking game. Giving away the first goal so early and so softly for the second game in a row gives us a real problem. As you rightly point out, we don't have bags of firepower and we certainly can't afford to give any of the other sides in the league a goal of a start.

The longer the game went on though the less we looked likely to score. I thought taking off McCord for Flannigan weakened the side, but at least the manager tried to change it.

Rovers look a stronger team/squad from last season. They missed Booth's attacking ability down the left but looked solid defensively and have added quality in Nade and Conroy in particular. Stewart flatters to deceive IMO. I liked the time he was one on one with Doyle down the left in the first half, tried to skin him for pace but Michael comfortably handled him without having to go flat out.

I thought the ref got the free kicks for challenges in the air pretty much spot on.

If we continue to give away the kind of goals that we have in our opening two league games then we're really going to struggle. Hopefully as Gibson and the defence get to know one another the mistakes will start to occur less often, but winning football games is much harder when you gift the opposition early goals.

After the f**k up between Gibson and Doyle had gifted Raith the lead we hit the post, with a header, and Buchanan and Spence both headed efforts wide. Other than that we didn't really look like scoring and our build up play was far too pedestrian. Raith didn't really look like scoring either but when you're already leading you don't really have to.

The ref was a bit picky and inconsistent but I thought the only major mistake he made was failing to send Doyle off for a reckless challenge in the second half.

I'd have Ben Gordon in my "All Star XI" from this league. I was also impressed with Meggatt, particularly in the second half. Looked to be very strong in the air, particularly for a full-back.

I should have said in my first post, as culpable as the keeper might've been for Conroy's goal, it was a great finish. With the ball dropping like that, and him favouring his left foot, there's a big chance that he either swipes at it, or drags it right across the goal and wide. Three goals in four games for him now. Very impressive, and he seems to have sorted out the wee crossed wires issue that he and McKeown were showing against the Pars. Much better understanding between them now.

The ref was a bit picky and inconsistent but I thought the only major mistake he made was failing to send Doyle off for a reckless challenge in the second half.

I'd agree with that. I thought Michael was very lucky not to pick up a booking for that challenge.

I'd agree with that. I thought Michael was very lucky not to pick up a booking for that challenge.

Agree with both of you as soon as he picked up the first yellow my mind went back to that game at Ibrox where he got sent off and he lost his cool a little today again with frustration and was lucky not to be sent off, We need to play better than today if we're going to survive in this league as the likes of Cowden and Dumbarton will be around us come the end of the season.

A solid enough win. We started with a bang and then the game ebbed and flow with no one team really having a solid period of control. Alloa had a few chances towards the tail end of the half, and Mark Stewart went close with a long ranged strike.

The second half never really came to life with both teams not really creating too much. After a solid first half, Nade couldn't seem to get the break of the ball. Had his first touch been better on a couple of occasions, he might have had one on ones, both of which ran through to the Alloa keeper. I'm really happy with how Stewart is looking. He offers us something a bit different with his pace.

For Rovers, I'd have to say that Liam Fox again had a very good game. He kept things ticking over and has massively improved after his performances against Dunfermline and Forfar. Hopefully he can keep playing along these lines.

Alloa never really looked like breaking us down through attacking football. I think they'll struggle this season as others have mentioned. Buchanan is largely ineffective nowadays. Spence was largely futile with Watson and Perry marshalling him. In the end, he was reduced to ridiculous long ranged efforts which suited us perfectly. Alloa fans can claim they've made a coup over us with him, but in all honesty I'm delighted with how we're looking with Nade and Stewart, even if neither scored today.

So another 3 points at a notoriously tricky ground to play. We kept the ball on the deck mostly, with good movement at times. Fans likely myself have now moved on from the Dunfermline debacle and calling for Murray to go as we move forward. Our first game against one of the big three next week and I'm hopeful we can cause them a few problems.

I'd. I was also impressed with Meggatt, particularly in the second half. Looked to be very strong in the air, particularly for a full-back.

I should have said in my first post, as culpable as the keeper might've been for Conroy's goal, it was a great finish. With the ball dropping like that, and him favouring his left foot, there's a big chance that he either swipes at it, or drags it right across the goal and wide.

Yeah, Meggatt is brilliant in the air, especially for his height. He's probably slightly stronger at centre half than he is at full back although the latter is his usual position given we have Marr at centre back. Against someone like Grant Anderson that's an important quality. I thought that was a good battle today which Darryl won.

I also agree with your comment about the way Conroy took his chance. It wasn't anything like as simple a finish as he made it look.

It was a good finish gifted to him by our mistake

No disrespect to Raith but they are a poor side

Little harsh on Raith they took their chance and kept us quiet we were poorer than we should be and poorer than we have been in the past some of those guys in the team looked a shell of the players who won the 3rd and got us promotion from the 2nd we have no one to blame but ourselves for the goals and mistakes we've made to say Raith were poor is harsh they done what they had to do to keep us quiet.

Only post truthful comments buddy boy Raith were poor if they where playing a better side than us then they wouldnt have taken any points

We where the better side but if u make errors and dont take ur chances u get punished

We did by a poor side

Frustrating from our point of view today. Yet another soft goal (which we simply cannot afford to do this season) and had one of those headed chances to equalise gone in then I think we'd have grown in confidence and pushed on. As it was though, none went in and we seemed to lose confidence in front of goal as a result. Spence had another header from a terrific Doyle cross in the second half which he put over the bar and apart from that we really didn't look like scoring.

They hit the post and it goes in, we hit the post and it goes across goal and out for a bye kick at the other side. Just seems a bit 'typical Alloa' to me and wasn't a surprise in the slightest.

I thought Buchanan was quite good today actually. For his lack of height, he has a good footballing brain and times his interceptions with defenders trying to bring the ball down very well indeed and nipped in to gain possession quite a few times today. He's a bit like Cawley in that respect, except he plays a little further forward. He has good tight ball control too and his one-twos with Cawley, McCord, etc were working well and on another day may have created a few openings.

McCord was having a good game today but only when in possession. He looked tired in the second half and couldn't chase as much as I'm used to expecting from him, perhaps he hasn't kept up his level of fitness over the last couple of months as much as the rest of the team. He was still causing plenty of problems though and Simmons and himself were bossing the midfield at times.

Gordon was his usual solid self and looks to have his good understanding with Marr back already. Meggatt has plenty of skill as well as height and power and he was good going forward as well as in defence today, my Man of the Match by a distance today. Thought he was our player of the year last year and feel we're very lucky to have held onto him, long may that continue from a purely selfish point of view although I reckon he'll move on to a higher level sooner rather than later.

Doyle must be working on his crosses. It has probably been the most frustrating part of his game from an Alloa fan's point of view for his time at the club but he was putting in plenty of dangerous ones today, here's hoping that continues. He could easily have been sent off today, but I felt the referee was a bit harsh in showing him a yellow for his arm/chest ball what with the unpunished tackles which players had been making previously. I reckon had the ref let that one go and booked him for his tackle moments later then both sets of supporters would've probably seen it as fair and it would hardly be getting a mention.

Special mention to Simmons though for his American Football style block on Nade near the end, that could've been a straight red :lol:

Raith, as I've already mentioned somewhere, will do okay this season and will probably finish in the 4th - 6th bracket in this league. They've got a good mixture of creative players as well as 'grafters' and they also have a solid keeper too.

Although could we please have Elliott back if you're not going to use him.

Also, number 4 (Watson?), kicked Cawley in his side when he was down on the ground after a challenge with Cuthbert, nasty piece of work.

Big game at Cowdenbeath next week now though, especially with Hibs at the Recs the week after. Really need to get off the mark there. We did climb a place in the league after today's defeat though, which is at least something. Every cloud and all that :thumsup2

Archived