Dundee United vs Motherwell - 13/08/14

Everyone is getting mega-excited about Connolly on the basis of only a few minutes of pre-season fitba. He is clearly behind Armstrong, GMS, Dow, Ciftci, Erskine, Telfer and Spittal in the queue for attacking midfield berths.

Don't hold yer breath to see much of him this season.

I'd personally rather go with a guy who has excelled in his brief cameo appearances (Telfer, Spittal, Connolly) than a guy who has been almost exclusively rubbish (Erskine, Gomis etc.). I appreciate you may fall down on the other side of the argument.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If GMS is out I'd like to see Connolly in, possibly Telfer; if Armstrong doesn't start (for any reason) I'd like to see Erskine in. More like-for-like IMO.

I'm getting the vibe that some Arabs on here don't want Erskine to get a chance to prove himself. Not a position that I'd adopt.

Not at all. I'm all in favour of Erskine getting a chance and I'll support him when he does. I happen to think that Telfer, Spittal and Connolly all have a better chance of making the grade than Erskine. I don't see the comparison betwen Erskine and Armstrong either. Armstrong's strength is his ability to keep possession and drive forward. Every time I've seen Erskine he's been very poor at holding off challenges. He's a decent sized guy but far too easily knocked out of his stride. Telfer and Spittal both look more physically capable than Erskine.

I wasn't at Pittodrie on Saturday though. He may well have been terrific. He was shite last season though and looked much the same against Hibs in pre season.

This thread is great - best team outside the OF for the last 3 years and scarcely a 'Well fan prepared to give us the merest sniff of a result here - no one can accuse us of getting carried away :)

This thread is great - best team outside the OF for the last 3 years and scarcely a 'Well fan prepared to give us the merest sniff of a result here - no one can accuse us of getting carried away :)

Come now, you weren't the best team last season. Neither statistically nor by any subjective measure. You surely didn't win as many games as Aberdeen, for example, and I'd be surprised if you won as many as United.

Come now, you weren't the best team last season. Neither statistically nor by any subjective measure. You surely didn't win as many games as Aberdeen, for example, and I'd be surprised if you won as many as United.

What do you mean?

What? :huh: Statistically we were the second best team in the league. By wins and points. Only Celtic won more than us. We won two more than Aberdeen and 6 more than Dundee United in the league.

Motherwell won 22 games last season, Aberdeen 20. Inverness and Dundee United only 16. We finished on 70 points, 12 clear of United.

What do you mean?

What? :huh: Statistically we were the second best team in the league. By wins and points. Only Celtic won more than us. We won two more than Aberdeen and 6 more than Dundee United in the league.

Indeed. Motherwell finished second in the league and won a grand total of one cup game. Aberdeen meanwhile finished two points behind you in the league and won about seven cup games. United taking the whole season overall, won as many games albeit more of our wins were in the cup.

Edit: Or rather we won four more games in the cup which obviously would equate to a further 12 points.

Who is the best team outside the OF then? Not the highest placed team outside the OF obviously.

Last season it was Aberdeen. Obviously.

Thereafter, it would be close between St Johnstone and Motherwell. Motherwell finished second but were awful in the cups; St Johnstone finished fifth but were excellent in the cups, including winning one.

Edit: For the record, Motherwell weren't the highest placed team outside the OF (whatever the f**k that means these days). There were three domestic trophies up for grabs and three winners. None of them were Motherwell.

Last season it was Aberdeen. Obviously.

Thereafter, it would be close between St Johnstone and Motherwell. Motherwell finished second but were awful in the cups; St Johnstone finished fifth but were excellent in the cups, including winning one.

Edit: For the record, Motherwell weren't the highest placed team outside the OF (whatever the f**k that means these days). There were three domestic trophies up for grabs and three winners. None of them were Motherwell.

Serious Q - are you on feckin drugs

We finished 2nd in the league + won more games than United and Aberdeen.

To top it all for the most nonsensical post of this thread - you even use the terminology "weren't the highest placed team" emmmm that is exactly what we were.

League form is against all sides. You battered us last season but we did a lot better v say St Johnstone.

FWIW I think Aberdeen and United will be better than Motherwell in the league this season. I also expect a pumping tomorrow night - and not the one I would prefer...

Motherwell were clearly the best (non Celtic) in the league, they finished 2nd

While i did think at the time them having only the league to focus on from November onwards could work in their favour they still had to have the consistency to win that many games to finish above Aberdeen

And though 6 of our 8 cup games were against Prem opposition (the other two were Dumbarton/Sevco), the only time i felt the Cup affected our league form was post split (just as it did in 2010 but we had 'best of the rest' sewn up with 4 games remaining) by which time 4th was the best we were gonna do anyway, our slow start and mid season slump was why we were off the pace for a top 3 place, nothing else.

Archived